Ferreters are no better than Badger Baiters

I was bought up in London, even though a countryman at heart, I hunted, shot and Fished (very well). I well recall afriend, who in a show and tell in class showed pics of his dads lurchers retrieving rabbits, and was took up to the head master. This was more than 10 year ago. All sorts of trouble, cruel etc and took pics from him

My wife, who as understanding as she and totally accepting of country life is still squeamish with my catches, but loves to hear how the dogs done well.

Nothing illegall in ferreting, just ignore em and do what you know is right.

How many people speed and drive with drink etc and aren't villified as much as a countryman?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unless she is a strict veggie she is indirectly responsible for the slaughter of thousands of animals over the years. just because she hasn't personally slit their throats, bolted their brains etc she is still implicated in the animal deaths. does she think that taking an animal away from its natural environment, put it into vehicles, dragged along motorways, left standing in slaughter houses and then dying what is sometimes a slow death is more humane? I have seen it many times and I know where I would prefer to get my meat from. you have nothing to reproach yourself for. crack on I say

I have to admit, I gave up worrying about this sort of thing when I got crap off folk at school. It actually convinced me I was right.

My Gf doesnt eat meat and hates to think about animals suffering, but comes out ferreting with me sometimes as she understands that the animal is dispatched quickly and there is far more accountability on my part for what I eat, even if she doesnt want to eat it herself. I can respect that point of view. Interestingly enough she doesnt call herself vegetarian as that term seems to have negative associations too!!

There was a similar letter about this in the shooting times a couple of weeks back. Some bloke was always being asked by his work mates to provide them with fresh salmon during the fishing season, but as soon as the fishing season stopped and he started shooting pheasants, they thought he was cruel and inhumane. Now that really is hypocritical - lol....

Some of you sound as ignorant as the anti's,baiting is the setting against each other 2 or more animals in a fighting match.Digging be it rabbits,foxes or badgers(some country's it's legal)is the releasing of a ferret or terrier to ground in order to bottle up the chosen quarry so you can dig down to it then either humanly kill it or bag it for release somewhere else.No way saying i'm into it but it's only a simular law that made it illigal as the hunting act made hare coursing illigal and most of us say feck that!,many would give badger digging a go if it were made legal again to control these pests.Most of us kill for fun as we don't have to hunt to eat and very few of us do it for a living,no difference in killing rats or badgers for sport,a life is a life,just don't prolong the ending of it's life.Don't get me wrong i hunt for fun as with most of you hunting is a thing that runs in our blood,a thing or urge that comes calling on a windy night or a frosty morning or when conditions are right a trigger is pulled within us and we just have to drop everything and go out,it's the feeling that makes us dig that 10 foot hole to a dog or ferret,keeps us in the hide when all the birds are away over the fields or standing in the rain and wind on the sea shore waiting for the evening flight.The thrill of the hunt,thats why i do it and i'm sure it's why you all do it,shouldn't slag folks off for hunting a different prey.Baiting is a shite sport!!!.
:clapper::clapper::clapper: couldent agree more mate weather you dig/ ferret /shoot or fish we shouldent knock another mans sport .hunting is hunting and we should all stick together as one :thumbs:

EXACTLY! theres a very fine line between baiting and digging, but a massive moral/ethical one. Its amazing how so many fellow hunters go ferreting or shooting and call terriermen all sorts. Ive met guns while out beating that openly voice how digging is cruel and terriermen are barbaric sickos and yet when a bird is pricked they couldnt give a shit about it if it takes any effort to find the bird. f*****g sickens me!

unless she is a strict veggie she is indirectly responsible for the slaughter of thousands of animals over the years. just because she hasn't personally slit their throats, bolted their brains etc she is still implicated in the animal deaths. does she think that taking an animal away from its natural environment, put it into vehicles, dragged along motorways, left standing in slaughter houses and then dying what is sometimes a slow death is more humane? I have seen it many times and I know where I would prefer to get my meat from. you have nothing to reproach yourself for. crack on I say

Even if she is a strict veggie she is responsible for the slaughter of animals. Just think of how many rabbits are shot, trapped, ferreted, gassed etc to protect the grain and vegetable crops that vegetarians eat!

Vegetarian and vegan philosophy: Killing the cute fuzzy for food is cruel, but killing a few billion insects and thousands of mammals to protect grain is an acceptable loss.

EXACTLY! theres a very fine line between baiting and digging, but a massive moral/ethical one. Its amazing how so many fellow hunters go ferreting or shooting and call terriermen all sorts. Ive met guns while out beating that openly voice how digging is cruel and terriermen are barbaric sickos and yet when a bird is pricked they couldnt give a shit about it if it takes any effort to find the bird. f*****g sickens me!

Whats the difference in digging and baiting?

Mate it dont mata what you do weither its ferreting,shooting, lamping, fishing, digging, ratting theres always gona be someone ready to herl abuse at ya and say "oh no dont do that" we in a different time scale at the moment the worlds gone to pot. We get into more shit then the local pedofile its wrong mate :censored:

dont take any notice of it mate there are people like that everywhere you go let them have there say but at the end of the day it wont change the way us lot on here go about doing what we do best.everybody is entitled to there own oppinion obviously some people dont have a clue what the hell they are on about alb martync

Whats the difference in digging and baiting?

Digging is a form o hunting, baiting is putting an animal into a situation where it isnt able to use its natural ability to evade the 'hunter'.

e.g. ferreting is a form of hunting, if the ferret kills the rabbit below ground then thats part of the hunt. Taking a ferreted rabbit then putting it in a box with a ferret to let the ferret kill it is baiting.

What i was trying to say in my original post is that the quarry is still killed by the ferret/terrier (depending on the the quarry) but there is a massive differnce morally between a hunting situation and a baiting situation.

There was a big discussion today at work about recent arrests in this area over Badger Baiting, when a lady I work with and a few others declared that I was no better than a badger baiter chasing rabbits with ferrets and It has pissed me off to say the least...Im now starting to doubt my own sport...This isnt right, surely us ferreters are sportsmen compared to these hooligans who dig badgers? I do hope people in general have a better opinion of us than thinking we are like Badger Baiters

y are they hooligans do they call u a soppy puff for stickin to rabbits

There was a big discussion today at work about recent arrests in this area over Badger Baiting, when a lady I work with and a few others declared that I was no better than a badger baiter chasing rabbits with ferrets and It has pissed me off to say the least...Im now starting to doubt my own sport...This isnt right, surely us ferreters are sportsmen compared to these hooligans who dig badgers? I do hope people in general have a better opinion of us than thinking we are like Badger Baiters

if you ferret /hunt long enough , you will come across these type of people regular, rabbits and foxes are cuddly, these people should speak to farmers who have lost livestock and crops they have strong beliefs to, mostly kill the lot!!. Ive seen lambs torn open and land cropped off.

were enjoying our sport and providing a service ,get stuck in !