when to work ferrets?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to learn A LOT more about ferreting first my friend.

Ferrets will NEVER come back to YOU. They will however come out of the burrow when they have had enough of being in there, but there are some times when a ferret either won't or can't come out.

Do you have a collar to find them?

Do you know how to use it?

Do you have a spade?

Do you know when to use it?

Wise up BEFORE you go and lose a ferret.

Guest ferret feller

where abouts are you? im sure a kind hearted pugger will let you tag along as a carry boy for a days ferreting? you will learn alot more that way then on your arse on the computer imo mate

I know im goin to get flack for this from aload of people who think im wrong but we're all welcome to opinions and different methods of doin things, arent we know?

right, first of all alot depends on how old your ferret is, if its well handled ( you dont want it being timid of you or it will shoot back down a hole) as many people will agree.

now for the bit i'll get the flack for (i've had it all before)

I personally i have never used nor have i ever thought of needing to use a ferret finder, my ferrets will come back to me and i have never had a ferret "properly" lay up. If you feel confident using a ferret finder then by all means use one. a spade is a good peice of insurance but i have never used mine. but i wouldnt leave without it without it on the off chance.

i would suggest asking if you can tag along with a experienced ferreter and they will tell and teach you things you can only learn in the feild. and everyone has their own tip and tricks.

I know im goin to get flack for this from aload of people who think im wrong but we're all welcome to opinions and different methods of doin things, arent we know?

right, first of all alot depends on how old your ferret is, if its well handled ( you dont want it being timid of you or it will shoot back down a hole) as many people will agree.

I personally i have never used nor have i ever thought of needing to use a ferret finder, my ferrets will come back to me and i have never had a ferret "properly" lay up. If you feel confident using a ferret finder then by all means use one. a spade is a good peice of insurance but i have never used mine. but i wouldnt leave without it without it on the off chance.

i would suggest asking if you can tag along with a experienced ferreter and they will tell and teach you things you can only learn in the feild. and everyone has their own tip and tricks.

Why bother taking a spade? If you can't locate your ferret where you going to dig? :blink:

I never used to use a locator, but i learn't the hard way, hope for your sake you don't have to. ;)

Why bother taking a spade? If you can't locate your ferret where you going to dig? :blink:

I never used to use a locator, but i learn't the hard way, hope for your sake you don't have to. ;)

i have pointer who is pretty nifty at findin the ferrets and my dad worked for the water board and has a listenin stick thing we leave in the car.

but thanks for being kind, most people like to rip in to me.

i have pointer who is pretty nifty at findin the ferrets and my dad worked for the water board and has a listenin stick thing we leave in the car.

but thanks for being kind, most people like to rip in to me.

I dont think you should consider going out without a locator, and going out with an experienced ferreter to show you the ropes. that way you will be less likely to become frustrated if you dont perform.

All my ferrets are very close to me, sit on my shoulders, play in the house with the kids etc, etc. But they still kill down holes, and have to be dug to. Even the smallest of Jills has recently had to be dug to at a depth of nerely 5 feet after a kill in a stop end.

There would be noway she would have got out for some time without my help. Given I was 25 miles away from home..a think its cheeper to get a locator.

Matty

If you have a dog, and a probe. Sometimes you can get a mark and find the tunnel. Otherwise if there is a racket, and you can hear the rabbit then its a method of trial and error

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

:clapper::clapper::clapper: I could not agree more

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

Locators are for wimps and people with no field craft. Whoops, and pro rabbiters who do not have the time to wait for the ferrret and one that kills consitently cuts down on the time factor, by having a quick dig, after all that is what they are getting paid for. There my friend is the crux of the matter, pest control persons are paid to get results so they have to get them or go out of buisiness.

When all you hobby ferreters (of which I am one) keep banging on about locators and you cannot leave home without one and a spade. Make me think, god for Feck sake learn some fieldcraft, then you would not need your locators, spades and any other unnesseccery items that you carry. If you learned all there is to learn about your ferrets before you used them. Then learned a bit about the wind and how it affects rabbits, then perhaps maybe pehaps you would become a halfway decent ferreter. When I see posts about those bloody locators and how you cannot ferret without one, one thought comes to my mind that person should not be ferreting, as he knows feck all about ferreting.

I have been ferreting for 45 years and never used one. In that time I have lost one ferret, that fell down a limestone crevis in the Brecon Beacons and even if I could find it it would have taken dynamite to get it out. I will quite happilly enter a single Jill into a 30 hole warren in the knowledge that she will come out even if she kills. It will take a bit of time. 20 to 30 mins on average So what! I am doing it for sport not gain.

Or are all the locator gangs trying to keep up with the numbers got by the pro's. Think about it why are they getting paid to clear a piece of land? Because there are a lot of rabbits there!!! Of course they are going to get more rabbits than you. Anyone who cannot see that needs a kick up the arris.

To Sterry.

Dont let them grind you down mate. You are the true ferreter who has field craft, knows his dog, and can work out which end of the warren to put the ferret in and knows roughly where the rabbits are lying just by looking at your dog. The rest are just sheep who follow the latest trends.

Locators are for wimps and people with no field craft. Whoops, and pro rabbiters who do not have the time to wait for the ferrret and one that kills consitently cuts down on the time factor, by having a quick dig, after all that is what they are getting paid for. There my friend is the crux of the matter, pest control persons are paid to get results so they have to get them or go out of buisiness.

When all you hobby ferreters (of which I am one) keep banging on about locators and you cannot leave home without one and a spade. Make me think, god for Feck sake learn some fieldcraft, then you would not need your locators, spades and any other unnesseccery items that you carry. If you learned all there is to learn about your ferrets before you used them. Then learned a bit about the wind and how it affects rabbits, then perhaps maybe pehaps you would become a halfway decent ferreter. When I see posts about those bloody locators and how you cannot ferret without one, one thought comes to my mind that person should not be ferreting, as he knows feck all about ferreting.

I have been ferreting for 45 years and never used one. In that time I have lost one ferret, that fell down a limestone crevis in the Brecon Beacons and even if I could find it it would have taken dynamite to get it out. I will quite happilly enter a single Jill into a 30 hole warren in the knowledge that she will come out even if she kills. It will take a bit of time. 20 to 30 mins on average So what! I am doing it for sport not gain.

Or are all the locator gangs trying to keep up with the numbers got by the pro's. Think about it why are they getting paid to clear a piece of land? Because there are a lot of rabbits there!!! Of course they are going to get more rabbits than you. Anyone who cannot see that needs a kick up the arris.

To Sterry.

Dont let them grind you down mate. You are the true ferreter who has field craft, knows his dog, and can work out which end of the warren to put the ferret in and knows roughly where the rabbits are lying just by looking at your dog. The rest are just sheep who follow the latest trends.

Well written, and no doubt you have a good knowledge of ferreting, but just because it can be done by some very experienced feretters, doesn't mean it should be done by guys less experienced in the sport.

You can drive a car without power steering,you can plough a field without a tractor, But modern technology means you don't have to nowdays, and unless you have the fieldcraft to get your ferret back, if it is, say stuck in a stop end, why would you want to risk the ferrets life for the sake of the price of a locator.

The tecnology is there for the benefit of the ferret, why would you NOT want to use it?

And what happens to the rabbits your ferrets kill under?

Or do they not do that? ;)

Edited by Halfinch