when to work ferrets?

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

If that is not bullying what is?

mate i think you've taken that the wrong way. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I understand fully, and i'll admit i've become crash bang wallop as time has gone on!

I'd not be terribly worried if a locater packed up on me, probs just a bit miffed I may have to leave a kill in, the dogs would probs put me close, within range, and my own hearing when up close put's me close as well, and anyone that has seen me work know's i'm pretty physical, and not scared of shoving my hands full stretch up tubes alongside a ferret on the job to pull out the rabbit.

I've read previous posts from you and know you have done a lot in the past, and what you say about reading the old terrier is just the same as me, today he got vocal when he was close to a rabbit in a hole under a rockpile, normally does not make a sound, but if it's very close if he does that, I checked it out and removed a few rocks, but it looked dodgy dropping down under more rocks. Tried pulling him away, but he decided to get in only the stump showing above ground, could not drag him away, pulled him out by his stump and just moving a few more rocks drew the rabbit out at arms length!

He'll move over the warren a few times looking interested if there is more than one rabbit in there, (the lurchers do this as well) rather than taking a bite at one spot, and will work the warren when you think everything is out, pinpointing to the nearest hole if there are any left in.

Dropping the ferret on the mark from the dog is often the quickest way of getting it on the money.

Unless there are people to show this lad how to do it the old way, It takes a bit of learning on your own. Surely a locater would help him work things out for himself, just because you own one it does not mean you are not going to learn anything, it may just be a longer road! :thumbs:

brimmer ive got a large drive way to be block paved 60m! fancy digging my base for me? lol i know who much you love your spade! ;)

NO probs when do you want me to start? :thumbs: (Any rabbits under there by the way?) :D

if i tell you there's loads under will you dig faster? ;);)

If there are loads i'll do it for free! :thumbs:

to be honest money is a bit tight at the minute and i cannot afford a locator. i have just been layed off work. at least now i can get more time with my dogs and ferrets though.so if anybody body knows someone needing a machine driver let me know. if i were to keep going out without a locator is it inevitable that i will lose my ferret with me having no experience?

to be honest money is a bit tight at the minute and i cannot afford a locator. i have just been layed off work. at least now i can get more time with my dogs and ferrets though.so if anybody body knows someone needing a machine driver let me know. if i were to keep going out without a locator is it inevitable that i will lose my ferret with me having no experience?

Have you thought about joining a club near you, if there is one you'll get all the info you need, plus maybe somebody will take you under their wing, you may even get sorted by one of the lads on here, stick with it, keep us informed about your progress, if you need to know something, just ask on here.

Sorry mate you put a extra 0 on your count and thats where im sitting i will agree you dont NEED a locator but im bloody glad of mine as some days it put a quarter to a half of all the rabbits dug out in the bag .

I dont see where my post count comes into it? Surly it should be the content of the post that counts. And as you have agreed with my agument after intial resistance to it. That is what counts not the number of posts.

Nobody is disputing that a locator is a fine piece of technology. In the right hand it can and does save a lot of time and makes that bag at the end of the day bigger. I stand to be corrected but from what I have read on here Brimmer is one of the most successful ferreters that contributes in terms of numbers of rabbits taken on a regular basis. By his own admittion he resorts to ferreting as if the ferret had no collar on when needs must.

No, use your head looking at warrens, any drains leave alone fullstop, or real deep looking holes.

Try the smaller warrens, allways in with a chance if things do get hard, use one ferret, better a jill to bolt, keep away from sight and try not to make to much noise and you are already lessening the chances of trouble.

Watch the dogs, most dogs can be usefull on a warren, there nose and ears are better than yours.

If you can get a locater it's good insurance, and morally right if the ferrets start killing down.

Short and simple answer. NO, it is possible, is not anything. As long as the ferret is well fed before being used, then even if it makes a kill it is unlikely to stay in for too long all you need is a little patience if it does happen. The ferret will emerge. one bit of advice I would give you is to get yourself a Jill if you are going to work them without a locator on a regular basis.

Edited by tiercel

No, use your head looking at warrens, any drains leave alone fullstop, or real deep looking holes.

Try the smaller warrens, allways in with a chance if things do get hard, use one ferret, better a jill to bolt, keep away from sight and try not to make to much noise and you are already lessening the chances of trouble.

Watch the dogs, most dogs can be usefull on a warren, there nose and ears are better than yours.

If you can get a locater it's good insurance, and morally right if the ferrets start killing down.

100% good advice.

just taught I'd have a quick look at this post.

You boys is taking the piss ain't you?.

tiercel you have been reading to many Plummer books (ferret walking to heel)if your ferret has never killed in 3 years It's crap, get rid.

cwmamanroughshooter its a wonder anyone talks to you having to write that lot out.

what they call you for short "Pinocchio" drags the bunnies out and puts them in it's box.

Well my ferret guts them for me and hangs them in a tree to cool.So there.

A GOOD LAUGH ANYWAY... bushcraft.... Ha Ha

Cwmamanroughshooter taught me how to use my ferrets

Ive been out with him when he works his gill we dident get nowt but i believe him :feck: Para1

brimmer ive got a large drive way to be block paved 60m! fancy digging my base for me? lol i know who much you love your spade! ;)

NO probs when do you want me to start? :thumbs: (Any rabbits under there by the way?) :D

if i tell you there's loads under will you dig faster? ;);)

If there are loads i'll do it for free! :thumbs:

hmmmm, thats a tricky one then. dont think i can afford to pay for your services :thumbs: ...........right where did i put that bloody spade!

cheers lads thanks a lot. know of a few sets at the side of some allotments that everybody is complaining about rabbits getting on so i'm off up there friday. gunna leave the dogs behind this time tho as there only pups and seem to be spending more time walking over the nets i have just set than listening and picking up scents. got a plummer x jrt and i take my father in laws bedlington x whippet and my mate comes with his jrt. there all around the 23week mark. will let u know how i get on friday. thanks again for helping me lads. by the way does anybody know of any clubs near me? bin looking on websites and am struggling to find one.

Personally I think this thread has achived it's purpose. I would like to thank each and every contributer. Bar one or two exeptions it has been carried out in a very civil manner. We all have differences of opinions and who is to say who is right and who is wrong as long as we air them in a civil manner thats what counts.

jenksi87 In the fullness of time you will get your locator but I urge you use it wisely. Untill then take the opotunity to learn all you can about your dog and ferret watch the dog see how he reacts to different warrens if he shows intrest in a warren net it up no matter how unlikely it looks and remember slowly slowly catchie Rabbit when ferreting.

Good luck.

TC

Edited by tiercel