when to work ferrets?

by the way i live in doncaster. i have been ringing round local farms e.t.c and some in derbyshire but many already have people that ferret their land or shoot on it. so as of yet i have been clearing random sets in local fields and woods until i kinda get the hang of it. like i say i have nobody to take me or teach me and i would feel a right tit if i got permission and they watched me and realised that they could have better more experienced people working their land

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of intrest how many days do you ferret in a week a month and how many rabbits do you average monthly mate ????????????

From September to Christmas I ferret about twice maybe three times a week, not full days but a couple of hours here and there. Christmas to middle of Febuary when I feel like it. The rabbits are to tough to make good eating by then. The amount I catch has no baring as if I have a couple of rabbits or ten it make no odds to me. I grew out of the numbers game many years ago. I ferret for sport pure and simple. But since you have asked I have had 80+ rabbits this year, I think, as I do not keep count as it is unimportant to me.

What is important to me is how we work as a team dogs, ferrets and myself. When the old terrier marks a warren I can tell by the way he marks if it has multiple occupants. I can also tell by the strength of his mark how close they are to him. That then tells me where the rabbits are and how best to tackle the warren given the wind or lack of wind. That is how a dog marking becomes part of field craft. When you learn to see what the dog is telling you. Then act upon that information.

You do not need to catch big numbers of rabbits to learn, because most of us learn through making mistakes and accepting that we have made them and learning not to do them again, although I invariably do.

Edited by tiercel
by the way i live in doncaster. i have been ringing round local farms e.t.c and some in derbyshire but many already have people that ferret their land or shoot on it. so as of yet i have been clearing random sets in local fields and woods until i kinda get the hang of it. like i say i have nobody to take me or teach me and i would feel a right tit if i got permission and they watched me and realised that they could have better more experienced people working their land

jenksi87

This thread is about me trying to tell you that you do not need a locator to start ferreting. You have started the learning process, you have noticed that the ferret is lacklustre on entering the holes as there is nothing at home. You will see a difference in his behaviour once you put him in a warren with rabbits in.

why would you START to learn ferreting without a locator? does the guy know what to do if he ferret doesnt come out? you could probably get away with it if you were going out learning from guys that have ferreted without locators for years but starting out on your own with out a locator is askin for trouble.

why would you START to learn ferreting without a locator? does the guy know what to do if he ferret doesnt come out? you could probably get away with it if you were going out learning from guys that have ferreted without locators for years but starting out on your own with out a locator is askin for trouble.

Perhaps he cannot afford one? Ever thought of that?

as of yet i have been clearing random sets in local fields and woods

the land will still belong to someone, and therefore permission should be sort after, otherwise it could still be classed as poaching, poaching was at one time (the old days) permissable to a degree, as it was "one for the pot" but nowdays doing ferreting as a pastime, which can be enjoyed all day, should'ent be done, constantly looking over your shoulder

So are you saying that because he has no fieldcraft as yet he does'nt need a locator and should sling them down anyway, or are you saying that he should he find some one to teach him, or just get on with it?

What I am saying is. There is no legal obligation on him to get a locator to go ferreting. Therefor he can do as he pleases and not be bullied by anyone into getting something that he can do without.

So are you saying that because he has no fieldcraft as yet he does'nt need a locator and should sling them down anyway, or are you saying that he should he find some one to teach him, or just get on with it?

What I am saying is. There is no legal obligation on him to get a locator to go ferreting. Therefor he can do as he pleases and not be bullied by anyone into getting something that he can do without.

no ones is bullying anyone! we are trying to help the lad, i wouldnt want him chucking his ferret down and risk no getting him back, thus putting the poor lad off ferreting for good. my advice to him was to get a locator, if he cant afford one then its best to save up. better than having to buy a new ferret every time he loses one, then after getting fed up with losing ferrets buying a locator anyway!

Think we all probs started off as kids without one to be honest, it's now a must for the way I work now, I suppose you could maybee get away without one with a good understanding of what's going on. Just going to be a pain leaving any kills down, and if the worst happens.

Tiercel have you ever watched someone good with a locater work? They are superb bits of kit to be honest. :thumbs:

Think we all probs started off as kids without one to be honest, it's now a must for the way I work now, I suppose you could maybee get away without one with a good understanding of what's going on. Just going to be a pain leaving any kills down, and if the worst happens.

Tiercel have you ever watched someone good with a locater work? They are superb bits of kit to be honest. :thumbs:

To be honest Brimmer I have seen them used a couple of times and I have to agree with you they are good with a capital G in the right hands. That said I have seen one chap using one and his attitude was why should I be quiet? I have the locator I can dig them out.

Going back to what you posted previously on this thread, that you still use traditional methods on the deeper warrens. As diging there is not really an option as the warrens are so deep. You have the ability to do that because you learnt your trade so to speak first.

How many of the people coming into ferreting rely on the locator too much, they think the same as the chap I went out with once "It does not matter I can dig them out" if people do not learn how to ferret properly in a couple of generations the art of ferreting that took centauries to develop will be lost. I for one would hate to see that happen and will try to educate anyone who is willing to listen.

In this mass production world selling is an art and boy do Debens have it. They are brainwashing people into beliveing that you cannot go ferreting without a locator when it is just not true. Anther factor is we are all lazier we will always try to take the easiest route to where we want to be. ( I am not saying a six feet dig is easy) but you know where I am coming from instead of stealth and field carft we now have crash, bang, wallop and a locator to get us out of trouble!

I hope you can see where I am coming from?

i think going ferreting without a locator is bad form imo. ferrets work the burrows for you, its your job to make sure it gets back home ok. if your not prepared to spend the money to safe guard his return dont put it down to work.

If that is not bullying what is?

Sorry mate you put a extra 0 on your count and thats where im sitting i will agree you dont NEED a locator but im bloody glad of mine as some days it put a quarter to a half of all the rabbits dug out in the bag .