im trying for a 243 iv already got a .22 rim fire and a 222 the fire arms have said iv got to have a basc deer managment cert does anyone no witch is the one i need? or they said 6 months shooting deer with someone who already has this caliber gun any ideas would be helpfull cheers,

i presume it will be a DSC1 that you will need first, i thought as far as mentoring goes another person with a deer calibre would be ok, but i guess thats up too your issueing police fore or firearms officer but wait for a few more answers as i havent got much idea about deer stalking.

im trying for a 243 iv already got a .22 rim fire and a 222 the fire arms have said iv got to have a basc deer managment cert does anyone no witch is the one i need? or they said 6 months shooting deer with someone who already has this caliber gun any ideas would be helpfull cheers,

If your FAO is anything like mine you will need to do a DSC Level 1 course (about £300.00 through the BASC or BDS) then you will have to have at least one 'permission' to shoot deer on suitable land even if you just want to do paid stalking days in Scotland. My FAO has never mentioned going the mentoring route (hope he doesn't read this and get any more ideas). I am planning on doing the course in April with the BDS in Devon; I have a free slot for a .308 on my ticket, but for target shooting only at the moment but it will be converted to deer on completion of the course and proof of permission.

HTH, and good luck with the application.

Is your .222 open or closed?

TBH if your got an open certificate or have had a .222 for a period of time where you have proven your competence, i would suggest that you dont need either..

The common sense department would realise that you can't safely use a .222 anywhere where you cannot safely use a .243.

But each depatment has there own guidelines.. If you feel you are competant, ask to discuss it?? If you hand on heart cant say that you are, then mentoring or DSC would be worth the while.

That should open the debate...

wtf,there is no legal requirements for you to have your DSC1 for a 243.

if you are a memebr of basc then ring them up and get them to help you with it,if you read the home office guide lines then you will see that your flo is being a c*ck.

BASC will help you gain your 243 providing you have land to shoot it on and you meet all the home office requirements for the 243

what i did was go and pay for some stalking like i did and i got a letter to shoot some 3900acres of land,i put this in with my application and got .22/223/243 and a 308 all in one go.

if you need to know more then leave a contact and i will get back to you.

wtf,there is no legal requirements for you to have your DSC1 for a 243.

if you are a memebr of basc then ring them up and get them to help you with it,if you read the home office guide lines then you will see that your flo is being a c*ck.

BASC will help you gain your 243 providing you have land to shoot it on and you meet all the home office requirements for the 243

what i did was go and pay for some stalking like i did and i got a letter to shoot some 3900acres of land,i put this in with my application and got .22/223/243 and a 308 all in one go.

if you need to know more then leave a contact and i will get back to you.

this is what i was told as well no leagal requirement for a DSC1 for a 243

this is the problem that we face on a day to day basis,BASC have got a good money spinner here with this DCS and push it with the police so now more and more forces are requesting it for fire arms.

gone are the days when you gained your rifles on your own merits and not of the money you spend to get them.

bring back common sense and the good old bobby

what a big con it is. yes you mite learn something on the course but you shouldnt have to take it before getting a deer rifle. if it was me i would have the mentoring for say six months that why you dont have to pay the price of the course.

i want to be able to shoot deer next year maybe with my 22/250. by deer i only mean munjac as that is all i have on my shooting ground. i have a place what has roe deer on but then i would have to go for 243 because of the stupid rule we have here for them. unlike scotland where 22 centrefire can be used on them.

then again i would have to get a open ticket on the 243 as well because i couldnt see them passing the 100 acres of land where the roe deer are on. there are lots of safe angles for shots on there but still i bet they wont pass it.

this is the problem that we face on a day to day basis,BASC have got a good money spinner here with this DCS and push it with the police so now more and more forces are requesting it for fire arms.

gone are the days when you gained your rifles on your own merits and not of the money you spend to get them.

bring back common sense and the good old bobby

i agree with your way of thinking just another spanner in the works most new stalkers will be accompanied by a proffesional and asked to pt a 3 or 5 shot string into a target before they set off and then will be guided through the stalk up to the shot how to bleed graloch and carry home carcass prep ect im not a gret lover of basc or the bds but they seem to have it taped

I think it is fairly common knowledge that there is no specific legal requirement for a DSC1 or Mentoring for deer (but I suspect that will change in the not too distant future).

This presents the situation where different police authorities have their own "suggested" route for getting a deer calibre with a deer condition on your FAC! Arguing with your region will get you nowhere, but reasoned sensible debate may work if you have a good case!!

Round my way it is possible to get the smaller calibres for CWD and Muntjac without too much grief, but step up to .243 and Roe etc and you are back to jumping through hoops...makes no sense but we have to live with it!!

:thumbs: