Whats the best?

What do you all think in your opinions is a better dog working be it a first cross or a 3/4 ...

Say for example you have your own bull and own greyhound both tested dogs but you also have a first cross bull hound.. how many of you would put the bull to the greyhound or the 1/2 cross over it..?

Imo the first cross will always be a bit heavey ,lacking in gears but yet still game as the full thing where as the 3/4 will be a faster dog taller have more use but yet dont always end up with half as game a dog as a first cross and more result in jacking ...

There is a way to over come both tho... a generation breeding keeps the same to the same you know what you will come out with basicly as alot of first cross litters iv seen you can either come lucky as f**k and get a racey or be stuck with the lanky bullocks.. and on the other hand with 3/4s you get this litter of houndish looking pups but come out with the odd strong one...

so the other question is why ar lads not breeding generation dogs as much as with terriers and out crossing so much in lurchers .. iv got one here hes 8mths or there abouts 25,26 inchs tts very strong even dog in my mind... not just bullx can be wheaten .. deerhound..collie etc .... if only there where more about.. could change the lurcher scene for the better.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will be breeding 3/4 hound 1/4 bull pups soon the father is a well tested dog and i look forward to it 3/4 are better in my eyes faster for lamping cant wait,,,,but he is a fine pup you have terrier man any recent pics of hitler???? realy like him

got a fox with buster two weeks ago got a good bit of punishment so going to rest him for a while as it was his first and single handed so dont wanna break him... as he is all i have till i get the litter and get them going

Edited by nbk

Half and half for me. all mine are first cross and aslong as you breed them right they will be game enough for whatever you want them for. My bull x's are big but racey, like a greyhound with a big head! Its just down to personal opinion and i think you cant generalise in the ability of a dog based on its breed, its the breeding that matters - dam sire grand parents and so on. Also the way its treated/trained and fed makes a difference, you could have the best lines with the most potential and still mess the dog up if you dont know what your doing

When you breed a litter of half cross bull grey's; isnt it a bit of a lotto as to wether you get a racey pup or a pup that has taken more to the bull? I guess it depends on what you want from your cross. For lamping i reckon 3/4 would be better as they are likely to be racier again. Each to their own though.

Edited by dangergirl

i think that you have less wastage if you can call it that with 3/8ths bull 5/8ths bull greys as the racier ones will turn out like 3/4 crosses and the heaviest ones like half x's and i think its why the 3/8ths 5/8ths has become so popular as not so long back it was a choice of 3/4 or half x's.

as for the 3/4 cross more likely to jib on stuff, this has probably got to do with the rubbish greyhounds used. Alot of boys breed a half x dog to a free to a good home greyhound (failed for whatever reason) and expect good results, don't get me wrong some good dogs have been produced but they are in the few. You wouldn't breed a top earth dog patterdale to your granny's heinz 57 and expect 100% workers!

I dont underdstand why people dont breed more 2nd, 3rd generation dogs. If I were to buy a lurcher tomorrow it would have to be at least a 2nd generation bred dog. I cannot understand why people make so much noise over first x this, or first cross that, first x to me means a high chance of getting a dog thats more like 1 of its parents. By the way I once owned a 10th generation calander coursing club suluki greyhound so there are people out there that breed generation dogs.

Half and half for me. all mine are first cross and aslong as you breed them right they will be game enough for whatever you want them for. My bull x's are big but racey, like a greyhound with a big head! Its just down to personal opinion and i think you cant generalise in the ability of a dog based on its breed, its the breeding that matters - dam sire grand parents and so on. Also the way its treated/trained and fed makes a difference, you could have the best lines with the most potential and still mess the dog up if you dont know what your doing

Wouldnt you have a greater chance of producing a type you want by breeding together your best 1st cross dogs together (GENERATION BREEDING) They would still be half and half bull cross, but a generation down the line. Chances are more pups in the litter would make the grade?

in australia and the us when the breed boar dogs the use line breeding to make sure that they get the type of dog that they want for the job and cull the ones that dont make the grade the bull arabs in australia are 30 years old lines of proven workers. this way you know exactly what your getting. makes more sense to do it like that than to keep experimenting with different 1st crosses all the time.

I dont underdstand why people dont breed more 2nd, 3rd generation dogs. If I were to buy a lurcher tomorrow it would have to be at least a 2nd generation bred dog. I cannot understand why people make so much noise over first x this, or first cross that, first x to me means a high chance of getting a dog thats more like 1 of its parents. By the way I once owned a 10th generation calander coursing club suluki greyhound so there are people out there that breed generation dogs.
Diggerman do you mean 2nd 3nd generation dogs in the same line or crossing out to another line :)
i think that you have less wastage if you can call it that with 3/8ths bull 5/8ths bull greys as the racier ones will turn out like 3/4 crosses and the heaviest ones like half x's and i think its why the 3/8ths 5/8ths has become so popular as not so long back it was a choice of 3/4 or half x's.

as for the 3/4 cross more likely to jib on stuff, this has probably got to do with the rubbish greyhounds used. Alot of boys breed a half x dog to a free to a good home greyhound (failed for whatever reason) and expect good results, don't get me wrong some good dogs have been produced but they are in the few. You wouldn't breed a top earth dog patterdale to your granny's heinz 57 and expect 100% workers!

most ex tack greyhounds are demon on fox &just coz they failed on the track doesn't mean they would fail in the field given a fair chance but they can come with baggage lack of training & socialization.plus with bulls & bull x's being the the in thing at the moment how many of those used have been tested to the extent of even a flapping track greyhound, not many i bet, First x's will always produce a % of waste everyone seems to think you will always get the speed of the greyhound & the brains & stamina etc of the bull, collie etc but their is no reason you won't get the speed of the bull, collie etc & the brains of the greyhound. ATB Pritch

all depends on what you want it for i have a half cross dog a half cross bitch and a 5/8 3/8 bitch very strong dogs for the big stuff the dog its his first season he is not a full shilling the half cross bitch is useing here head abit more these 2 are very strong and bull minded and the 5/8 3/8 its here 4th season and uses here brain alot more this bitch i have just lined so fingers crossed to a 5/8 3/8

Wouldnt you have a greater chance of producing a type you want by breeding together your best 1st cross dogs together (GENERATION BREEDING) They would still be half and half bull cross, but a generation down the line. Chances are more pups in the litter would make the grade?

Spot on, with 1x G.B you would know how good they as workers, and less litter wastage.

With any 1x its a chance, with a 1x G.B the odds more in your favor. :victory: