Terrier Hard as nails?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"What you do is cross a staffy with a patterdale and then back into a minature russell. That dog will bolt and not just sit there chatting to the fox over a cup of tea".

Sounds straightforward enough........

so let me just clarify, take one staffy, preferably non worker, take a well bred show patterdale, then take a pup from this cross mate it to a good farm breed ratting terrier, simmer for a year then you have the perfe3ct earth terrier, and hers me trying these working patterdales, to find the best earth dog i can, wish i heard this years ago id have saved my self thousands :protest:

It seems to be more popular in the UK to bay the fox, wheras in Ireland a terrier seems to only be a good dog if he will bolt the fox to net, lurcher, or gun. It wastes so much time digging, i myself prefer to net. I recognise that not every terrier has the balls or power to bolt. What you do is cross a staffy with a patterdale and then back into a minature russell. That dog will bolt and not just sit there chatting to the fox over a cup of tea.

Sounds easy enough! Come on gents lets throw away our Spades and throw Staffs over our working bitches!

Swag I knew we were going wrong somewhere mate LOL.

It seems to be more popular in the UK to bay the fox, wheras in Ireland a terrier seems to only be a good dog if he will bolt the fox to net, lurcher, or gun. It wastes so much time digging, i myself prefer to net. I recognise that not every terrier has the balls or power to bolt. What you do is cross a staffy with a patterdale and then back into a minature russell. That dog will bolt and not just sit there chatting to the fox over a cup of tea.

Sounds easy enough! Come on gents lets throw away our Spades and throw Staffs over our working bitches!

id never get rid of my spades but id proberly throw a decent staffy a cross a decent russel bitch to find out the out come.

id never get rid of my spades but id proberly throw a decent staffy a cross a decent russel bitch to find out the out come.

yeah but as per usual u aint got a clue oh rapskee ya aint got a spade to throw away

Edited by swag

yeah but as per usual u aint got a clue

well said swag..breed worker to worker.

In my experience if a terrier is getting enough foxes, he won't lie with a rabbit. However I can recall a couple of good game dogs lying with rabbits in the past. If we're talking about youngsters, just discourage them, they'll come round. No I wouldn't be pleased about it but I certainly wouldn't put them to sleep. I must add, I've never heard of anyone adding bull to make a terrier a bolter!!! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Stevie

well thats a new one on me,ive kept bull/russell for years in my past life and sounders they were not.plus i wouldnt use a staff on terriers,when bulls were worked regular i used english bull blood,seemed to put the ingriedients in the right order most of the time.i saw a few staff/terrier crosses and they were very hard work i thought.i had a lot of bull bred dogs over 15 years and they were basta**s for fighting,but they did work well,but sounders :blink: no way.they spent a lot of time in sick bay after a day out.

some a ye lads dont half talk some load of old coblers on this... just because a terriers breed with dogs that ar knowen to be hard doesnt mean there going to be hard... f**k the staffies the proper working staffs left around could be counted on one hand.. and same with the EBT ...

wastes to much time digging o lord thats a good one.anything iv seen with staff in it that worked be it 1/4 or 1/2 would broke up a fox. minature russells think your listening to two much old fibs about crossing this with that.have you ever had one.

Guest Eamon.Mc

:rolleyes::clapper: Hillarious.

wastes to much time digging o lord thats a good one.anything iv seen with staff in it that worked be it 1/4 or 1/2 would broke up a fox. minature russells think your listening to two much old fibs about crossing this with that.have you ever had one.

I have one now. he has the head of a jackrussell more or less but is thick set with a strong chest. You can see the bull in his body but not head. Il try send in a photo tomorrow. I know that a lot of people talk s**t about crossing breeds but i genuinely find these guys to be great bolters. I used to dig in the past with russells but the ground i hunt is mostly un diggable so i prefer to bolt to net or hound. I wouldnt put down full staffys either. my staffy bitch is great for flushing rabbits, when we can find the buggers. the myxi has cleaned out my area.

I'd say shes a right hard one... :D

Guest john the baptist
Any man that has never dug a bunny hasnt dug much.......Even the best terriers can have their ups and downs....

I remember digging to my old bitch who was mute on foxs. with pipi off this site. Just as we were about to break through to her, the farmer arrived on his quad and stayed to watch. Opened up to her and a face full of rabbit :o . Was well embarrased and the bitch got a couple of ear warmers with the dead bunny. :D