elvers

Guest bigredbusa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like an eel fyke but not quite the same, you can do ok with elver dip nets but the bankside traps are the best. £450 -600/kg is about right, the elver merchants are well tight weighing them in from the fishermen, no grit or even froth from the water is allowed to be weighed in with the elvers. Not surprising really at that money. :thumbs:

If It gets you results nelson :whistling: I was looking online and there was some nice salmon being taken this year further up river by me but probably best to try the estury. Do you get many numbers of bass, seatrout or salmon running up?? Somthing I'd like to try next year :thumbs:

The river severn local to me is a big place for elvering its were gordon ramsay fished for them . The bloke that he fished with was also the owner/son of the local fish wholesalers which is positioned practically right on the banks of the severn they buy up all the elvers to be exported . Have never been myself but a relative of mine goes . I think you have to get a special licence and Iam sure they dont hand them out willy nilly like they used too . Was only talking about this at work the other day the kid saying that the camping supplies store that he used to work at used to sell the elvermen their material I guess its like the midge proof type nets that are in tents . Me relative used to get them for me grandad a few years back to eat . But soon stopped when the price rocketed . maybe 30 years ago the men used to go round the villages and sell them by the pint to the locals . I think they start coming up the river around february time .

I was thinking of gillnet something i've wanted to try, seatrout caught a few 2-3lb range on toby lures no salmon

The bass are plenty an good size too , but around that area eyes are watching :icon_eek:

Hot?? :shok:

Edited by maty j