elvers

Guest bigredbusa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im in telford next to the river severn iv caght some monsters in there what time of year do i need to go too catch elvers providing i get a liecence?

Hi Mate, I believe febuary to may they return from the sargasso, four months to plan a fortune if you get a licence :whistling:

No not at all, Just think you meant a few mile UP river :D I was flicking through a book I have last night and It mentioned salmon fishing In the Dee. Said there were a few great spots and all the info but never mentioned any names of where. Interesting reading non the less and mentioned a few other methods too.

It's the great game, life and times of a welsh poacher. It's mainy on longnetting and rabbiting but I thought It worth having a flick through last night to see If there was any fishing In It and bingo! It's quite interesting. He was saying about how they would get there 10 mins before the tide came in so not to have wasted time fishing incase anyone was snooping about :icon_eek: they would run the the nets out and as soon as the tide came up to the net the fish arrived almost that same instant. Mentioned boom lines too to stop your net getting filled with weed and crap, anyone ever tried these??

No Nelson, far more discreet. Single hook :angel: I didn't get round to reading that part but will have a look tonight before I nod off. Mid june, Plenty of time for abit of reconnaissance. I was thinking later still but will see how the fish go.

I could do with a few more books, anymore worth a read??

I have had salmon and sea-trout on the bank within minutes,its not so difficult at times,never heard of boom lines,welsh thing perhaps?Most of those books are antiquated nowadays,different methods etc,theres a UK firm opened dedicated to selling cast-nets,wish I had thought of the concept first,could have added allsorts of fishing paraphinalia to the stock list :)

It's the great game, life and times of a welsh poacher. It's mainy on longnetting and rabbiting but I thought It worth having a flick through last night to see If there was any fishing In It and bingo! It's quite interesting. He was saying about how they would get there 10 mins before the tide came in so not to have wasted time fishing incase anyone was snooping about :icon_eek: they would run the the nets out and as soon as the tide came up to the net the fish arrived almost that same instant. Mentioned boom lines too to stop your net getting filled with weed and crap, anyone ever tried these??

No Nelson, far more discreet. Single hook :angel: I didn't get round to reading that part but will have a look tonight before I nod off. Mid june, Plenty of time for abit of reconnaissance. I was thinking later still but will see how the fish go.

I could do with a few more books, anymore worth a read??

Awesome book that is!!!!!

Was that with the mono or single hook M?? Could be a welsh thing. I'll take a picture of the book after and stick the section on boom lines up for you to have a read If your interested. Have that company got a website? Are there cast nets as over priced as others?? If you can still get the gear cheap why not out do them ;)

They arent extortionately priced,but they dont carry a decent line in stock and their claims of searching and negotiating in PRC for the best stock was baloney IMHO,they should actually expand,crayfish-traps of several types,fyke-nets,different types and sizes of cast-nets and a decent instructional DVD showing catches as the movie clips on their site are cribbed from YOUTUBE :icon_eek:

http://www.castnets.co.uk/

I certainly could source better stock,but I dont think theres such a market here for cast-nets of obscure fishing nets of that ilk,its a niche they have probably filled,albeit shoddily :victory:

True, But think you could deffo get some better gear in and corner that particular market sector If you chose to. I'm suprised there Isn't many books on netting and obscure fishing methods, recomend any I should look for?? Just remembered I was suposed to get that page photographed for you too :wallbash: If I havn't done It by tomorow remind me or I'll forget.