bully looking lurchers, pitbull crosses etc etc

why's there so many threads asking for pics of these dogs ? surely everyone knows by now what they look like....

there seems to be a "hype" surrounding bull crosses these days where a lot of people seem to think "its a bull cross it will kill foxes etc", in my experience this is not the case, the truth is theres just as much shite about in bull crosses as there would be if you were running whippets on foxes (pre ban)....i've always believed the bull cross to be a one trick pony really, so if they cant do that "trick" then you are left with a ridiculously over sized under paced rabbiting dog....

i keep bull crosses my self, so i'm not putting the breed down, just merely stating a fact that like a lot of purpose bred dogs 90% are crap... ;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why's there so many threads asking for pics of these dogs ? surely everyone knows by now what they look like....

there seems to be a "hype" surrounding bull crosses these days where a lot of people seem to think "it a bull crosses it will kill foxes etc", in my experience this is not the case, the truth is theres just as much shite about in bull crosses as there would be if you were running whippets on foxes (pre ban)....i've always believed the bull cross to be a one trick pony really, so if they cant do that "trick" then you are left with a ridiculously over sized under paced rabbiting dog....

i keep bull crosses my self, so i'm not putting the breed down, just merely stating a fact that like a lot of purpose bred dogs 90% are crap... ;)

There is always going to be more bad than good like in most breeding these day some people just breed off shit for the fun of it.

But do really think bullx's are only any good on fox's? one trick pony as you say.

What do you think of there capability on deer? pre ban of course :whistling:

Just wondering as I have never owned one and am contimplating on getting one at the minute.

Regards Ben :thumbs:

Edited by Hunting Lad

there seems to be a "hype" surrounding bull crosses these days where a lot of people seem to think "it a bull crosses it will kill foxes etc", in my experience this is not the case, the truth is theres just as much shite about in bull crosses as there would be if you were running whippets on foxes (pre ban)....i've always believed the bull cross to be a one trick pony really, so if they cant do that "trick" then you are left with a ridiculously over sized under paced rabbiting dog....

couldnt agree more - I like the bull cross, and its become more of a status symbol, and alot of folk seem to think that unless its got a head like a bucket and muscles like Ronnie Coleman, then it aint any good.

I too cant understand the strange fasination with abd - mastif crosses etc. - - but differnt strokes for different folks; and all that

Guest world.hunters

Well said mate, its shame really as alot of young hunters will read all the hype and go for a bull x and there is a lot of shite bred from any greyhound over a pet staff non of which are tested and they think that because its a bull x it WILL kill everything and theres alot of people that just have them because they look "macho" they are a nice looking dog and very capible dog in the right hands but just because its a bull x dont meen it will do everything expected without putting in the time and effort. and it doesnt meen that they can do everything better then other crosses, thats just my opinion.

W.h

There is always going to be more bad than good like in most breeding these day some people just breed off shit for the fun of it.

But do really think bullx's are only any good on fox's? one trick pony as you say.

Just wondering as I have never owned one and am contimplating on getting one at the minute.

they are capable of taking deer, rabbits, hares even.... but theres plenty of other dogs out there that are better suited and probably a lot more capable when running these....

bull crosses were originally bred to put a bit of fire and power into a lurcher, but its no good having the power without the fire.... ;)

Well said mate, its shame really as alot of young hunters will read all the hype and go for a bull x and there is a lot of shite bred from any greyhound over a pet staff non of which are tested and they think that because its a bull x it WILL kill everything and theres alot of people that just have them because they look "macho" they are a nice looking dog and very capible dog in the right hands but just because its a bull x dont meen it will do everything expected without putting in the time and effort. and it doesnt meen that they can do everything better then other crosses, thats just my opinion.

W.h

I couldnt agree more,i keep bull crosses,but mine is not just a charlie dog he is an outstanding rabbit and not to bad on a hare aswell,to me he is a ALLROUND DOG im taking 2 pups of your wife miss lurcher bitch i cant wait to cum and get them,she says both are doing well,im trying to get some recent picks of my 2 bitch pups of her, :thumbs:

they are capable of taking deer, rabbits, hares even.... but theres plenty of other dogs out there that are better suited and probably a lot more capable when running these....

bull crosses were originally bred to put a bit of fire and power into a lurcher, but its no good having the power without the fire.... ;)

Spot on, i had 3/8 collie 5/8 grey dog 26ins 70lb in the 80s. He would tackle any Game , and if he got a nip, he would go feckin Crazy :wallbash: what ever you put him on a 90% chance he would catch it. Not a hare dog, but still had a few . I LIKE bullxs had two, but if you drop on a good colliex they take some beating. :victory:

BIRD

my bullx is a good foxing dog single handed ,but hes surprisingly good on rabbit 1st few are a bit crushed after that he delivers them to hand live ,hes not great on hare he may take 1 out of 5 ,he dosent miss many rabbits though, i had him as an adult dog hes no good with stock or ferrets great with any other dogs though.

ive bred a little bitch out of him that ive broke to ferrets and is going to be broke to stock im going to use her predominately for lamping, rabbiting and working with ferrets not a typical ferreting dog but im hoping to prove a few people wrong and have a bullx which is a good all rounder

may get egg on my face but its worth a try,

got to agree with you for once :laugh: i mean 2 of mine arent big powerfull dogs but hopefully they have the fire,not too sure about the power :icon_eek: i still belive a bullx is a good allrounder imoa it all comes down to the single handed job at the end of the day it is in all honesty the only test for a dog,and anyone not believing that is kidding thereselfs ;) but if your happy and there doing the job week in week out has some of us do it!its everyone to there own :good:

there seems to be a "hype" surrounding bull crosses these days where a lot of people seem to think "its a bull cross it will kill foxes etc", in my experience this is not the case, the truth is theres just as much shite about in bull crosses as there would be if you were running whippets on foxes (pre ban)....i've always believed the bull cross to be a one trick pony really, so if they cant do that "trick" then you are left with a ridiculously over sized under paced rabbiting dog....

A good honest post Lucky and right on the money :clapper:

Pics of this, pics of that, its seems incessant!

I wish people would take the time to search old threds.

are bull x's realy a new designer breed rather than a serius hunting hound? i have a mastiff cross and even though hes quick i think that hes more of a man stopper and large game hunter rather than a rabbit killer. i have done alot of research on this type of cross tho and through history bull breeds have been crossed with greyhounds as hunting and guarding dogs. mastiff x's were used to run along with horse drawn carrages to protect then from highway men. the mastiff x and pitbull x and ebt crosses have been used in australia as hog dogs for 30 odd years very succesfully. and used as coyote dogs in the u.s. other running mastiffs such as the cane corso and the extinct alaute gentile were well know and valued hunters. in eastern europe lage bull x's are used to combat wolves and bears. maybe not as well know in the UK, they have been used abroad for many years and this means that the dogmen have a huge wealth of proven dogs in which to breed from. maybe in 10 years time the bull xs will be just as valued here in the uk as they are abroad. i can personally say that my mastiff cross is a good proven guard dog even though he is young and he is very game only time will tell if he becomes a good rabbiter. hes just as quick as my mates suluki cross who is a good rabbiter. has anybody else found that there bull crosses are protective? i know that its the hunting which we get them for but surly a lurcher that can guard is a bonus especially when the pikeys come a knocking!

my bullx is a good foxing dog single handed ,but hes surprisingly good on rabbit 1st few are a bit crushed after that he delivers them to hand live ,hes not great on hare he may take 1 out of 5 ,he dosent miss many rabbits though, i had him as an adult dog hes no good with stock or ferrets great with any other dogs though.

ive bred a little bitch out of him that ive broke to ferrets and is going to be broke to stock im going to use her predominately for lamping, rabbiting and working with ferrets not a typical ferreting dog but im hoping to prove a few people wrong and have a bullx which is a good all rounder

may get egg on my face but its worth a try,

I have bred some 3/8 5/8 and let a couple go to people down your way and have heard all good stuff about them so far. The mother is a good all rounder and I have kept two of the litter. One is going to be very similar to the mother and the other is 26.5tts and about 80lb and is very powerful but still too young to push too hard yet.

Best of luck with your pup though mate