the match

these running dogs with no saluki in them might kill the odd hare on the fen if you give them a 10/15 yrd lay on [ so there on it an kill it quick] but you give the hare fair law and a dog with no saluki your fighting a losing battle jmho
well i might as well throw the towel in as my 40 odd yrs in lurchers mean feck all i must of been kiddin my self when i see a good dog it must be me,i must of been drawn into internet hunting to much so why did the bitch catch last time when she went to the fens and finish the day with a 3 min run plusand it was feb and she travelled 9 hrs in a box to get there after 6 nights continuous ampin the week before,

mark i aint knocking your dogs or what u know,just by your posts and what people have said when seen them run you have a couple of outstanding lamping dogs,wouldnt like nothing more than to see it win just very hard to :thumbs:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good luck mark, dont let people wind you up so much, we all enjoy reading your posts,

:thumbs::thumbs: cheers mate,they dont winde me up to much i think there sad feckers,all this and that about dogs that only run on a certain ground big prices for pups,proberly fancy hand shakes as well :laugh::laugh: all this pravervo about all these fancy dogs never have i given all this shit a lurcher is an animal that should provide on all ground no pickin you field to short to long stubble and plough,fence are ditch,sheep are cow,i have accepted a challange of a certain person cause the insults were terrible and personally i beleave i have an animal here that is a purpose bred lamping dog that can do the buisness shes out day and night and she doesnt let me down many have seen her work and all will say shes a good bitch,many have seen her race in summer and jump and will also say the same,wont it be ashame if a collie x goes into the coarsing world on the fens and does well,all the shit i got when they through the challange at me, and yes it was more then 1 against me maybe they know somthing i dont, :hmm::hmm: well time is nearly upon us and iam still here,there will be no jabs change of routine are anything for her she will enter into this the same as she will when she jumps into my landrover to go out tonight win are loose i will shake hands and hopefully this time a true account will be told of my visit to the fens,mark

Well said mate, Good luck. Cheers, D.

where are you lot getting this big dog thing from, miles dog is about the same size as marks, there are plenty of fen runners, saluki types especialy the bitches that are around the 23 mark.

and of course marks dog stands a chance , as some one said there have been some good flash bang wallop types. the one in my avatar was just such a dog , but give the hare a minuit , then another , then start getting in to that 3 minuit terratory.

its at this point most lurchers wil fade.

mark i wish you and your dog well, fingers crossed you shut some of these fen runners up....atleast your out and about doing it, where id dare bet alot of the anti mark brigade are to busy on the buttons to put into there dogs what it seams you put in to yours, so my hats off to you.... before i get jumped on , no iv never ran fen hares nor ever seen them run in person, so cant comment on what it takes to catch one,or used to take to catch one but what i can say is i run ground that holds similar numbers of rabbits to marks, and can say that on such ground, you can slip your dog for a rabbit, a short run,its picked up, brought back to hand, bagged, lamp on , dog away, and so on and so forth if you do this around a 20 or 30 acre park taking 30 or 40 humble bunnies it surely adds up to alot of running over a long period of time, to me this requires a dog with alot of lung, and a dog with such a capacity should surely be fit enough to hold its own on other things in other places.. either way good luck too you BOTH :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Edited by alimac

Had a dog a few years back, sounds very similiar to yours Mark, very fast, very determined with plenty of bottle and a great mouth on him. Caught thousands of rabbits with him and I do mean thousands not just a beer tent term. He also caught a lot of hares some hunted up, some big starts, some mugged, some spectacular runs.......and your point is I hear you asking, well the longer the run went on the less likely he was he would catch it, his first run was his best run and any run after that you could see the gradual deterioration his third hare was never as good as his first, the heart and drive were there but he wasn't bred for it his heart was writing cheques his body couldn't cash. There's no shame in it there's alot of dogs bred specifically for hares can't do any better and some are not even as good. Best of luck to you for having faith in your dog but I think it may be loyalty misplaced, you've heard the term horses for courses, winter on the fens fit hares and a hundred yards law is for saluki blooded dogs simple as that. Oh and just so that no one thinks I'm biased I'm not a fan of saluki types.

where are you lot getting this big dog thing from, miles dog is about the same size as marks, there are plenty of fen runners, saluki types especialy the bitches that are around the 23 mark.

and of course marks dog stands a chance , as some one said there have been some good flash bang wallop types. the one in my avatar was just such a dog , but give the hare a minuit , then another , then start getting in to that 3 minuit terratory.

its at this point most lurchers wil fade.

That is the crux of it Tomo,if Mark's dog can pull its game down quick ,it's in with a chance.As you know ,it's a funny old game no to runs are the same ,one might pipe with a dog up its harris,another might be a weak one,50 yard slips ,early season will help a dog more suitable for lamping bunnies,I don't know either guy ,but wish them well they are at least walking the walk .after talking the talk.And a grand buys a lot of real ale ,dog food and diesel!

Ive seen the little bitch of marks run plenty this and last season, and she has come on a treat. Granted its only lamping, ......but i get a feeling that 50 yard slips will be to her favour, she also has a habbit of sticking like glue before striking hard and fast......If the course runs on in duration, well that will no doubt see things change, not saying she will fade fast, but it will no doubt get interesting!

Good luck to both.

Would I be right in thinking that the whole reason the comp is being run in Nov (as opposed to Dec/Jan - normal matching months) and the slips are set at 50yds (instead of 100) because Miles is a gentleman who has done everything possible to accomodate his guest? If he wanted to make some easy money he would run Mark at around Xmas time and they would hold on to the dogs slips for a bit longer, that way Mark's dog would have no advantages?

Of course I could have just picked all of this up wrong? These long, tiresome threads all seem to blur into each other after a while :doh: my apologies in advance if this isnt the case 8)

Would I be right in thinking that the whole reason the comp is being run in Nov (as opposed to Dec/Jan - normal matching months) and the slips are set at 50yds (instead of 100) because Miles is a gentleman who has done everything possible to accomodate his guest? If he wanted to make some easy money he would run Mark at around Xmas time and they would hold on to the dogs slips for a bit longer, that way Mark's dog would have no advantages?

Of course I could have just picked all of this up wrong? These long, tiresome threads all seem to blur into each other after a while :doh: my apologies in advance if this isnt the case 8)

As it happen I didn't realise it was November and fifty yards starts instead of one hundred, so a man could be forgiven for thinking concessions have been made to accomodate Marks dog, which, to my mind anyway kind of defeats the purpose of the whole competition.

Im not 100% sure that is the case mate, as I said theres been a few long threads about this match on here and I may be getting bits of them mixed up :doh: I have to be honest I dont bother reading every single post, as very few of them make sense to me :doh: as the saying goes "common sense aint that common" you wouldnt buy a mini to go offroading, I reckon Mackay and Tomo have got it about spot on. Keep the lamping dogs for lamping if thats what your into, and keep the coursing dogs for what theyre bred for, very few dogs can cross the divide and do it well and on a consistent basis. Happy to be proven wrong though, life always throws in a few unexpected surprises here and there :D

Guest markbrick1
Im not 100% sure that is the case mate, as I said theres been a few long threads about this match on here and I may be getting bits of them mixed up :doh: I have to be honest I dont bother reading every single post, as very few of them make sense to me :doh: as the saying goes "common sense aint that common" you wouldnt buy a mini to go offroading, I reckon Mackay and Tomo have got it about spot on. Keep the lamping dogs for lamping if thats what your into, and keep the coursing dogs for what theyre bred for, very few dogs can cross the divide and do it well and on a consistent basis. Happy to be proven wrong though, life always throws in a few unexpected surprises here and there :D
sarah,you always have a bit to say and must say its always against me,you mention very few dogs cross the great divide what about laddie?????????????i have never said i had a fen dog i was invited to the fens back last feburay which i attended with my dogs and the dales and which hares were caught on both,between that and me gettin home to sunny cornwall a lot of things had been said and things had really escalated :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: then over several month texts were sent phone calls made pms sent and beleave me non of us were rather gentlemenly :angry::angry::angry: in a long post miles threw

me a challange on the fens for 1k in november i accepted of coarse :yes::yes::yes: now this had to be on his ground on his terms no problem on that as this shit goin around about my little lampin dogs not being any good on anything else had to be put to sleep once and for all,so i only put 1 condition down,50 yard slips and its 8 hrs are a day best of 3 50 yrd slips 1 guest each and a judge thats the rules,i can see who you want to win but least i will be there,there is no gentlemen are favours been done to give me a chance so crawl back in your hole,mark

Edited by markbrick1
mark i wish you and your dog well, fingers crossed you shut some of these fen runners up....atleast your out and about doing it, where id dare bet alot of the anti mark brigade are to busy on the buttons to put into there dogs what it seams you put in to yours, so my hats off to you.... before i get jumped on , no iv never ran fen hares nor ever seen them run in person, so cant comment on what it takes to catch one,or used to take to catch one but what i can say is i run ground that holds similar numbers of rabbits to marks, and can say that on such ground, you can slip your dog for a rabbit, a short run,its picked up, brought back to hand, bagged, lamp on , dog away, and so on and so forth if you do this around a 20 or 30 acre park taking 30 or 40 humble bunnies it surely adds up to alot of running over a long period of time, to me this requires a dog with alot of lung, and a dog with such a capacity should surely be fit enough to hold its own on other things in other places.. either way good luck too you BOTH :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Alot of these anti mark brigade as you put it Ali are out there doing it ,catching plenty of quarry and have decent dogs but dont blow there own trumpets

Guest markbrick1
What happens if its 3 from 3 for each dog ? do you's run another each till you find a winner ? Is their going to be an independant party there to witness all things proceed accordingly with no arguments ? will it be Video'd to STOP any arguments ? GOODLUCK TO BOTH of you's but me been a coursing man id like the coursing dog to win out because by feck we'd never hear the last of it if Mark was victorious. Having said that respect to Mark for taking up the challange but if your lucky on the day dont think your hound is the best coursing dog in the land because 9 times from ten it would lose a Match daytime against a purpose bred coursing dog on the end of a leash in capable hands on big land. Would of been a nice little match Tommo between Cat and Sally. :yes:

couldnt agree more,she isnt a fen dog never will be but should be able to catch the odd flushed hare now and again,and if its 3 each are 2 each we can toss a coin are do a lamping night for the grand, :thumbs::thumbs: mark