Britains most elusive mammal..

After a lifetime of searching i managed to take this rather crap piccy of a feeding otter. This is a Wild animal and i was about 10 yards away. I have had to zoom in on the piccy. The lenses was a kit one that came with the camera 18-55 just to give you an idea of how close i had to be. The flash came on as i took the pic. I had to follow the chain of bubbles and rattle a shot off once it surfaced. There were two otters working a flooded river right in the edge. it was possibly the most amazing sighting i have ever had, the noise they made as they dived, slapping the water, was very loud and thats what i located them with. Superb...

im sorry about the quality of the piccy, but its hard to get a good piccy lol..

post-16-1215636044_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't those the UFO's that have been sighted over Merseyside & parts of Wales? :whistling::laugh:

Nice one, I'd love to see otters in the wild. There's a river down the bottom of the hill where I live, my Dad reckons that when he was a lad they were a common sight there. :thumbs:

After a lifetime of searching i managed to take this rather crap piccy of a feeding otter. This is a Wild animal and i was about 10 yards away. I have had to zoom in on the piccy. The lenses was a kit one that came with the camera 18-55 just to give you an idea of how close i had to be. The flash came on as i took the pic. I had to follow the chain of bubbles and rattle a shot off once it surfaced. There were two otters working a flooded river right in the edge. it was possibly the most amazing sighting i have ever had, the noise they made as they dived, slapping the water, was very loud and thats what i located them with. Superb...

your gonna have to learn to get out the green box charley :tongue2:

your gonna have to learn to get out the green box charley :tongue2:

ha ha charley, i am hoping for better pics soon. the problem was it was nearly dusk on a day it hadnt stopped raining...lol....will keep you up to speed on developments. ha ha

im lucky enough to have seen many otters in the wild over here in eire we had them on the river at the back of

our house until the council decided to dig the river out with a fecking great track machine that was about 6 years ago and i havant seen one since in that river

cheers bb

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:notworthy: Ye've finally done it, eh? Bloody well done, JD! That's the last (positively identifiable) wild creature I'm still yet to see in the wild state. Never been near one in my life.

Said to have them right around me now. I've never found sign of one though. Not yet.

Guest MIST NET

Only ever seen one (in the wild), i went out with an aqaintence (running his bull x' behind landy on the River Aire flood bank). It came up out of the water onto the flood bank about 80yrds in front of us, we got within 30yrds before he slid back into the Aire...It was quite sureal,we both looked at each other in disbeleaf, who ever thought there would be otters in the Castleford Area.. Nice pic all the same JD.

Round us there are stacks and we see them mashed on roads quite regular,i ve been watching them for years and they run the streams ,through town,when the eels start running.Found a big dog otter dead in my neighbours front garden about 3/4 of a mile fromthe river.Great animals .

nice job, you have to get up early to see those.

:notworthy: Ye've finally done it, eh? Bloody well done, JD! That's the last (positively identifiable) wild creature I'm still yet to see in the wild state. Never been near one in my life.

Said to have them right around me now. I've never found sign of one though. Not yet.

ditch actually i saw one down by you a couple years back. it was in lough gillaroo in garrison fermanagh at dawn.

brightened it up a bit:

otter.jpg

Edited by kvnmcwebn

'Nice shootin Tex'....... :clapper:

Well done JD, in some areas I belive they are spotted regular but in others very elusive.....

Never had the pleasure myself, seen the signs, seen the bubbles but always lost 'em!!

Well done again!

Guest Leveller

My first encounter with a wild otter was a few years back when I had very recently split up from my wife and I was walking the river bank with the Lurcher feeling sorry for myself when I saw the chain I stopped and when he surfaced couldn't believe my eyes. I walked along the riverbank for about a mile following him and he didn't seem at all phased by my presence anyway it brightened up my spirits and got me back on track since that day I've seen plenty more and when out with the minkhounds we find otters more than mink these days so they're doing quite well around us.

I'm pleased that you've got your photo, but i see so many otters in West Wales that i've become rather blase about it! Nearly every night or dawn fishing session i see otters, they've followed my flies/spinners accross pools, popped up next to me at 2am scaring the life out of me, and best of all, a mother with two young throwing a sea trout about the pool i believe she was teaching them to hunt.

Get yourself to the West of Wales kvn.

Tight Lines

Aled