p.s where do i get a mincer from and how much should i pay for 1.

thanks lb

You don't need a mincer, even for small pups. Just use the back of a cleaver or a hatchet and smash the crap out of them (the bones, not the pups). As the pups get older, just smash less. I have had even toy breed pups on whole bones by seven or eight weeks old, no problems.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

p.s where do i get a mincer from and how much should i pay for 1.

thanks lb

You don't need a mincer, even for small pups. Just use the back of a cleaver or a hatchet and smash the crap out of them (the bones, not the pups). As the pups get older, just smash less. I have had even toy breed pups on whole bones by seven or eight weeks old, no problems.

:clapper::clapper: that's what we do with just the odd rabbit: works a treat. The only reason we use a mincer is for a lot of rabbits, mixed in with about 10-15% lamb and beef fat and raw veg: the whole lot goes through together. Rabbits on their own don't contain enough fat for a hard working dog: don't forget we ask our dogs to work a lot harder than say, a wolf, who only hunts when hungry, unlike a lurcher that may be asked to run rabbit after rabbit during the course of a night's lamping. A wild dog would stop when it caught its dinner!

good points on here, interesting reading.

i feed whole rabbit (without skin) frozen after a while. fresh chicken, small amount of venison, hare, butcers off cuts, lamb breasts. i feed these, not all at once, about twice a week. the rest of the time, they get gain greyhound 28 and are thriving. they are happy, im happy. i have never, come across a bag of complete, thats bad yet, or has my dad, his been in the greyhound game, for the past 50 odd years. as i said, cheap, complete foods, can be crap.

watch pups on razor sharp bones, even raw ones, especialy rabbit, they can choke and die, very quick, but, once they get their adult teeth, are well cabable to crunch them up.

Well I'm rather a novice at raw feeding ... I've only been doing it for about a year now. But I will say this: my 8 month old pup has always had raw, she is bright, alert, happy, clever and growing at an alarming rate. She eats tripe, chicken, beef, fish, lamb, rabbit and the odd bowl of Petitts Working Dog once or twice a week, to which I add veg. I give her one capsule of Evening Primrose oil every morning. She also gets kidney, heart or liver once a week, plus a couple of raw eggs in the shell. My 2 year old greyhound gets the same. They're both thriving. I've worked with and lived with dogs for most of my life. And I will never feed a straight complete food again. Stinky crap, windy dogs, bad teeth, allergies, scurfy coats and cancer :thumbdown:

I take Skycat's advice, and Socks, and other raw feeders who are well experienced, add it to what I know and I'm very pleased with how my dogs are coming on. I don't knock others for feeding complete, but it does make me sad when they don't even try to find better alternatives for feeding their companions.

Guest WILF

"

For ##### sake

You want to give him the best start, yes?

A complete puppy food - it doesn't matter what type - until he's fully grown

Then , feed him whatever you like

I've seen too many malnourished dogs to advise crap like that

TIT!! :no:

dogs have been domesticated for the past 20.000 years or so. their digestive system, have adapted to the way we feed them. wolfes, are wild predetors and will live on whole carcasess better then domestic dog food. all dogs are different, i have found, some dogs thrive in raw and have no ill effects, others, get digestive problems and can not digest, raw meat and bone and can, get sick. you have to feed, what is best for your dogs needs.

i find, a good quaility complete food is fine, if fed with common sense. i feed complete some days, raw others, but, dont go over board on rich stuff like liver, whole chicken ect, not all dogs, seem to cope with it well.

the truth is, everyone has their way and if your getting good results, then sticking to it, rather them listening to others telling you what to do, is far safer. a good greyhound man has mentioned to me once, if it works, dont change it, as if you change, you might regret..

i will say this again, a lot of good greyhounds come from here, and in their kennels, i sont see masses of barf food ect.

You say that dogs have been domesticated for 20,000 years. I don't seem to to recall archeologists unearthing any fossilised bags of iams, or finding ancient Egyptian carvings of tins of pedigree chum anwhere in the valley of the kings.

Dogs have been mainly fed on raw meat for something like 19,950 of those 20,000 years you talk about.

dogs have been domesticated for the past 20.000 years or so. their digestive system, have adapted to the way we feed them. wolfes, are wild predetors and will live on whole carcasess better then domestic dog food.

Trouble is Zak, the digestive system hasn't adapted to the dry diet we feed them. Commercial foods have only been arounbd for the last 50/60 years, before that they lived on meat and table scraps, not a grain enriched biscuit.

P.S. Wilf, I have just phoned Landywoods and TIT as you mentioned earlier is 40p per lb :tongue2:

I've been feeding raw meaty bones along with various fruit, veg and whatever the dogs catch themselves for about ten years now. All my current dogs have been fed it since I got them at about eight or nine weeks of age. I was a tad concerned at first that I might not be giving them a "complete" diet but they certainly seem fit and healthy on it. Indeed the eldest still has a lovely full set of pearly whites even though most dogs I meet fed on complete-food have teeth which are covered in tartar within a year or so. Not only that but I still have people asking me how old the pup is: he'll be nine in November! :toast:

I was reading recently that Ian Billingshurst who started the "BARF" feeding actually joined a group of like-minded vets in Australia but has since left their group and I think it's the squabbles over amounts of veg etc to feed from different factions which sometimes puts some people off. ie if you're going to feed raw meaty bones then you should be able to buy raw meaty bones rather than "BARF-bones" pre-packaged and endorsed by somebody who's written a book on the subject. :angry:

each to their own. i wont get into a silly argument, just for the sake of it. im happy, so is my dogs.

it works very well for us.

:thumbs: No argument mate.

thanks. the internet, can be a place to get carried away on at times i reckon.lol

it so different, when you meet people face to face, easier to talk about ect.

Just another point about mincing the veg......or not. I can't be bothered to mince just the veg if I'm feeding chicken carcases or breast of lamb so I just chuck bits of apple, carrot, sprouts, cabbage at the dogs when they've finished their meat. They all queue up and crunch up the veg like a load of borses! LOL And what comes out the other end is devoid of bits of carrot etc. So their systems must be grinding it down quite successfully all by themselves!