• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In spite of what the born again barfists would have you believe pups need a balenced diet not just meat. Feeding a wide range of different food gives a wide range of nutrients. Personally I'd choose a good quality puppy food as a base with the addition of raw and cooked meat and veg but for an inexperienced owner it may be wise to stay with the complete as a major part of the feed. Remember pet quality meat may be from fallen stock and if so can contain a cocktail of drugs depending on cause of death so cooking pet mince may be safer or using butchers waste meat if feeding raw.

The complete feeds, although far from perfect, are a more balenced option than raw meat alone. They a least are research based in so far as nutrient balences are concerned.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :whistling: If you did some research then surely you would know that the barf diet IS a balanced diet and not JUST meat. As for dry foods, they have been linked to cancer, colitis, allergies and contain no moisture as its all been removed in the cooking process and grain is quantity, how unnatural!!!!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: Looking in here again just sparked up a nice, simple to understand and 100% straight way for me to back up what I say about how I feed my Dogs. It is this:

I openly invite any of you people who talk about " Good Quality " stuff in greasy sacks to come over to my kitchen, bringing a sack of ye very, very best. K?

Then, right there, ye can open my freezer and YOU can rummage around amongst the meat I have stored there for my Dogs. Pick what ever portion takes ye fancy and hand it to me.

I will then set too and prepare my Own dinner. Using that meat. I'll then sit and enjoy the meal, without you ever having left my side. This won't faze me in the least. I've done it before without any audience.

I would though, of course, expect You to join me in my meal. Only you get to tuck into that greasy sack of " Good Quality " stuff ye insist is so healthy, balanced and generally good for a Dog. After all; Ye'll insist it's not vet kill. It's not laced with carcinogens, it's not made up of the vilest of waste products. Then ye'll lock eyes with me and we can smile at each other as we each enjoy our feeds.

In fact, hell; Why not stay for a week or two? I'll eat my own Dogs out of house and home, nipping back to the butchers for resupplies of the fresh, human grade flesh and bone I always demand for my Dogs. You can dine on ye own repeatedly claimed " High Quality " stuff.

I want to see Your coat shine! :laugh:

Remember pet quality meat may be from fallen stock and if so can contain a cocktail of drugs depending on cause of death so cooking pet mince may be safer or using butchers waste meat if feeding raw.

The complete feeds, although far from perfect, are a more balenced option than raw meat alone. They a least are research based in so far as nutrient balences are concerned.

ive fed my dogs on fallen stock for alot of years, some of it would be bettr quality than what you buy from the super market. admitly a small percnatge that goes onto the open market does contain some drugs, however anyone would be nieve to think that this dosent go into dried foods. in just the same wway id rather eat salad from my garden instaed of procssed (washed in chemicals) super market shit, id rather feed my dogs striaght from the land, good qualtiy healthy meet and other feeds that i can control depending on what time of year and what work load they have. how anyone can argue with that i do not know.

perhaps if you know little of dog nutrition and needs it would be safer to go down the dry food route, but if people reasrch and tried feeding raw i dont think theyd go back.

id also like to ad that most people who would feed dry would no go for the more expensive "rsearched" type foods that many hold in such high regard but would opt for the cheaper, even worse brands!

A long time of being around hard working terriers, running dogs, strong dogs and hounds all feed the natural way wont make me see any other way.

One of our local vets has a nickname for a whole load of dog ailments ,"pedigree chum syndrome" he says.

Any one ever see a brood bitch regurgitate meat for her litter. Mammy knows best.

LOL a good friend is good friends with one of the main manufacturers of working dog food in Ireland, a family run business.

Once whilst drinking and drunk the dog food maker told my friend you wouldn't believe the crap we put in our dog meal.

This is considered the best my many.

HI, 2 OF MY BORDERS HAVE FITS, VET PUT THEM ON SOME HYPOALLEGENIC DRY 37 QUID FOR 7.5 KG .HAD THEM ON THAT FOR ABOUT A YEAR , KEPT HAVING THE SEIZURES SO FED THEM RAW AND THE FITS HAVE VIRTUALY STOPPED JUST A FEW MILD ONES. WHEN THEY WERE BAD THEY COULD HAVE 4-5 FITS A WEEK. THEY HAVENT HAD THAT MANY BETWEEN THEM IN 18 MONTHS SINCE ON RAW. THINK THE DRY IS FULL OF CRAP YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT GOES IN TO THEM WITH RAW , AND WHAT COMES OUT THE OTHER END IS A LOT EASIER TO CLEAN UP ASWELL.

:clapper::clapper:

For ##### sake

You want to give him the best start, yes?

A complete puppy food - it doesn't matter what type - until he's fully grown

Says a Vet.

Please tell us then, Vet; Do You sell " Complete Puppy Food "? If so, which one, please?

What's in it? Where are the ingredients sourced? What preserves it in its greasy little sack? What does it do for the teeth and thus general, following well being of the pup? And what is Wrong with feeding a pup flesh and bone? Where would a wild canine find a sack of " Complete Puppy Food "? If it can't come up with one; What would it raise its whelps on?

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

hi lads

can anyone tell me what raw meats to give my 9 week old patterdale, at mo i am feeding him raw minced tripe and is it safe to give it to him at this early age ?

:drink: lads

i think its ok, when i went and bought my border i asked what they were fed on and they told me the bitch was doing all the feeding herself, he gave her the option of dried dog food but she left it alone, while suckling her pups she was fetching them alsorts of meats, the sort of stuff what a cow or a ewe would leave after giving birth, disgusting i thought but they were brought up perfectly healthy, so dont worry about anything he,ll turn out fine mate! SEE YA AT THE YORKSHIRE MATE! YOU AND YOUR BOY!

A long time of being around hard working terriers, running dogs, strong dogs and hounds all feed the natural way wont make me see any other way.

One of our local vets has a nickname for a whole load of dog ailments ,"pedigree chum syndrome" he says.

Any one ever see a brood bitch regurgitate meat for her litter. Mammy knows best.

LOL a good friend is good friends with one of the main manufacturers of working dog food in Ireland, a family run business.

Once whilst drinking and drunk the dog food maker told my friend you wouldn't believe the crap we put in our dog meal.

This is considered the best my many.

My wife works for a veterinary pharmaceutical company and I can get my hands on the "best" dry food, certainly the most expensive for nothing - absolutely free. I feed raw.

hi lads

can anyone tell me what raw meats to give my 9 week old patterdale, at mo i am feeding him raw minced tripe and is it safe to give it to him at this early age ?

:drink: lads

if your unsure mate try t.p.m.s.com,got a wide range of raw food available and advice on feeding

:hmm: Looking in here again just sparked up a nice, simple to understand and 100% straight way for me to back up what I say about how I feed my Dogs. It is this:

I openly invite any of you people who talk about " Good Quality " stuff in greasy sacks to come over to my kitchen, bringing a sack of ye very, very best. K?

Then, right there, ye can open my freezer and YOU can rummage around amongst the meat I have stored there for my Dogs. Pick what ever portion takes ye fancy and hand it to me.

I will then set too and prepare my Own dinner. Using that meat. I'll then sit and enjoy the meal, without you ever having left my side. This won't faze me in the least. I've done it before without any audience.

I would though, of course, expect You to join me in my meal. Only you get to tuck into that greasy sack of " Good Quality " stuff ye insist is so healthy, balanced and generally good for a Dog. After all; Ye'll insist it's not vet kill. It's not laced with carcinogens, it's not made up of the vilest of waste products. Then ye'll lock eyes with me and we can smile at each other as we each enjoy our feeds.

In fact, hell; Why not stay for a week or two? I'll eat my own Dogs out of house and home, nipping back to the butchers for resupplies of the fresh, human grade flesh and bone I always demand for my Dogs. You can dine on ye own repeatedly claimed " High Quality " stuff.

One word mate. Legend!

good man ditch shitter. i take it they would eat that meat raw, your dogs? so, you would eat it raw? their is a bit of a difference, between dogs digestion and humans. feeding certain complete foods from time to time, does no harm, i have eaten complete dog food myself, never had a problem, but to most humans, who are use to tasty food ect, its bland, but very tasty to dogs. you seem to treat dogs just like humans, good for you.

Edited by Zak
i totally dont think its right giving pups raw meat as i got a pup which had been brought up on raw meat and didnt seem well at all. when it was in the pen with other pups it seemed to be me best pup there so i got it home and just didnt bother running about or nothing. i thought just let is get used to the place and should hopefully be ok but 3days passed and still the same. I tuck the dog to the vets and was told it was brain damaged she asked what is had been fed i told her raw meat and i basically answered my own question So raw meat is a bad thing for me thats my opinion. ferret_uk

Methinks your vet was the one suffering from brain damage.