plummer terriers

As usual got my cmw today and there in the folds is another plummer terrier, ive not really took a lot of notice of the breed .seen its develope over the years right back from omega/vampire even san but havent taken a critical look, as they were really only tested at rats and most of the big catches in plummers diarys were far from the truth ,but today in cmw theres some show champion from some show and i must admit if that is a good example of the breed all i can say is they are proberly only suited to rats cant seen them having the strenght to really last hard terrier work year in year out trader
just last week i breed a small red english bull terrier dog with a plummer terrier bitch . my plan if all gos well is to keep a bitch pup to breed back to a plummer terrier dog. i know its been done before. this might be an interresting cross that may make a stronger type.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10/22
just last week i breed a small red english bull terrier dog with a plummer terrier bitch . my plan if all gos well is to keep a bitch pup to breed back to a plummer terrier dog. i know its been done before. this might be an interresting cross that may make a stronger type.

You are joking right? if not why would you do that when its already been done and the cream is still about in varying degrees which is already tried and tested ? strange

To be fair the Plummer terrier was bred to work rat's, that's not to say some won't work fox. If you don't like the look of the breed or the handfull you've seen work, don't get into the breed easy as. If you ever met Brian you would know he did'nt take himself that seriously and 9 out of 10 article's written by him were to amuse himself as the barrage of abuse that came back made him laugh. At Lowther horse Trials he put up a challenge that his king charles spaniel (Charlotte) could out work any terrier below/above ground that was on the show field that day, and not one terrier man came forward, Brian laughed all the back to Abington.

So did Plummer "create" the Plummer terrier as a joke too?

I met Plummer on a few occasions,and to say "he didn't take himself seriously" is crap.

He was so up himself it was untrue.

I always thought it a tad weird the way he surrounded himself with teenage lads.

Were you one of "Brians" boys Matti? :air_kiss:

Edited by david2363

I have seen several decent Plummers work to ground.Excellent noses and stick to the task until the job is done.Bill Mossman used to be a hunt terrierman and his main terriers were Plummers.If from the right lines as good as anything else.It amazes me how some people can look at a picture of a dog and slate it as a worker.It just shows their lack of experience.Many times I have seen the most hideous looking terriers out perform the stunners on the day.

To be fair the Plummer terrier was bred to work rat's, that's not to say some won't work fox. If you don't like the look of the breed or the handfull you've seen work, don't get into the breed easy as. If you ever met Brian you would know he did'nt take himself that seriously and 9 out of 10 article's written by him were to amuse himself as the barrage of abuse that came back made him laugh. At Lowther horse Trials he put up a challenge that his king charles spaniel (Charlotte) could out work any terrier below/above ground that was on the show field that day, and not one terrier man came forward, Brian laughed all the back to Abington.

Maybe everyone took him as seriously as he did himself?!

Matti, I knew Brian briefly as a teenager and to be fair he treated me well but I'm not so sure about him not taking himself seriously :blink: To me its a joke to state that his spaniels would outwork a good terrier and makes a mockery of a true digging dog to make such claims, I would think if that claim at Lowther was made is was quitely and not near any "names" or digging men.

As for Plummer terriers I owned one, a good dog for rats and rabbits but she died young after bolting only a handfull of foxes so who knows if she would have worked? Now the Plummer terrier may have been pushed as a ratting dog but all his articles and books state the dogs used in the breeding program were also entered to fox, otter, badger and worked well.(Vampire, Beltane, Pagan etc etc).

You are joking right? if not why would you do that when its already been done and the cream is still about in varying degrees which is already tried and tested ? strange

no not joking. might be strange. i will see what the outcome will bring.

Matti, I knew Brian briefly as a teenager

Feck me Grandad :icon_eek:

How old are you mate if you knew Brian Plaummer when he was a teenager :db:

My poor use of the English language, I meant to say that during my teenage years I knew Brian............. :tongue2:

P.S. Never heard of Brian Plaummer

Everyone seemed to gravitate towards him as teenage boys,theres a pattern developing :whistling:

I was young and experimenting :tongue2:

Fu**ing hell,at least I experimented with lasses at that age :clapper: