Rabbit Snaring

Checked them again this morning, lifted all the peg snares... As I came down the road I noticed the vixen I lamped last night had been knocked over, she had taken a few rabbits from the snares before she got tempted over the road... shame ...

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

nice one fellas , glad to see ya back on peg.

as you say ian , shame for the fox killed on the road, its no way for an animal to die :no:

i hate running stuff over, youse to do it when i was a young man , but you soon relise, its a nasty way to go.

Phil I was bad all day :laugh: not a bad little number off that wood, around a 100, still plenty more there, the majority were in the fence wires, checked over the side road, few more had been taken, took the .243 if I spotted any bucks but was short of time so inverted a few rabbits instead with it :rolleyes: ...Tell me about the mate, what a nightmare eh? Thats some walk by the way, I powered off and left the nob :laugh: , he said his inside legs are all chaffed off his jeans rubbing :laugh: No more moles, one backfilled...

Tomo, if you look back at one of the first photos you will see the fresh fox scat near a snare shot, she was working the wood, probably heard a rabbit in the snare across the road, struggled to get through and got hit... :( I'll try and find the cubs...

two good clips there ian :good: setting snares now you can have rabbits in them quickly empty and reset and have another catch shortly afterwards a good way to thin out rabbit numbers on a fence line like that ,phill allways realeased young rabbits caught in the wires not like that moley he will kill anything no matter how small ,good work lads :notworthy::good:

awsome :thumbs: one question dough i tried to make a tealer of fence wire but its bloody hard work to get the little loop in the end were the snare runs thru, am i using the correct fence wire its 2.5mm also how long must the soft cord be, thanks in advance :notworthy:

Edited by hollands hope

The older i get the less i want to kill but have to for pest control but when it comes to youngens ive always had a soft spot.Now adays i take great pleasure in teaching people how to trap and snare like old Snareman did for me many years ago.We all no the hay days of trapping have gone when a man could earn good money trapping fox and selling there pelts,like old Snareman did in the sixties and seventies.anyway good luck to all you young trappers and if you need any advice pm woodga or snareman because ime a miserable old bas...d :tongue2:

The older i get the less i want to kill but have to for pest control but when it comes to youngens ive always had a soft spot.Now adays i take great pleasure in teaching people how to trap and snare like old Snareman did for me many years ago.We all no the hay days of trapping have gone when a man could earn good money trapping fox and selling there pelts,like old Snareman did in the sixties and seventies.anyway good luck to all you young trappers and if you need any advice pm woodga or snareman because ime a miserable old bas...d :tongue2:
that will do you peg and gun , less of the old, crack, you will fit over my knee a lot easier and quicker now lad, that your in training . big simon and wullie said hello.