GOOD BITCHES

Guest pip

TALKING TO A MATE TONIGHT ABOUT GOOD BITCHES,FEW AND FAR BETWEEN,WHATS UP?WHY DO LADS INSIST ON BREEDING OF MEDIOCRE BITCHES YET EXPECT 100% DOGS?

IF THE BITCH IS NT WORKING TO THE SAME STANDARD AS THE DOG WHY BREED?

SOMETIMES ITS HANDY TO HAVE A BITCH OF THE CALIBRE IM ON ABOUT,BUT NOT TO BREED OF IN MY OPINION.

SOME LADS WON T KEEP BITCHES FOR THIS REASON,THAT THEY THINK THEY ARE NOT CAPABLE OF THE SAME WORK AS A MALE.

I RECKON PEOPLE SHOULD BE CONCENTRATING ON PRODUCING BITCHES CAPABLE OF DOING THE SAME WORK AS A DOG,IF THEY DONT AND YOU NEED THEM FOR YOUR TYPE OF WORK,DON T BREED OF EM.

ANY EXPLANATIONS FOR THIS MIND SET??

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iv generally always had bitches...they seem to be a little harder to get going and can be useless when in and around there season.....my terrier is a bitch and a cracker of a dog,she will put many a dog to shame......

post-12667-1208385952_thumb.jpg

post-15936-1208387438_thumb.jpg

My current bitch. 5 years old, done 2 good seasons. She is Russel/Patterdale, shes a cracking bolter. And is now a trusted digging bitch. Couldnt ask for more!

Got 4, 12 day old pups out of her, to run on a bitch for the future! By my fell dog, who will be approaching the end of his career after the next season or two, as he is 7 years now, and has done a lot of good work for us.

Edited just to say that although my bitch isnt hard, she still has to find well, bolt well or stay until dug to(up to the quarry). I expect all my terriers to do this regardless of them being dog or bitch.

Edited by dogs-n-natives

Here's my bitch & she's the best terrier Ive owned.....She does lack in size general confirmation & getting bitch pups with her working abilty but a bit more physical substance is my goal now......I know her breeding & it produces good workers but the bitches are lacking in size generally & a good dig (They are mixers) can knock them back a bit so basically Im hoping to get a bitch from her with a body & frame that can cash the cheques her heart writes.....

DSC00178.jpg

Edited by elisderyn

elis i read alot of good thinga bout her on the earthdog site befor it shut down alot of good things been said about her working ability she looks a tool mate hope you get some decent pups from her

BEFORE SOMEONE ACCUSES ME OF BEING A SADDO FOR POSTING THIS TIME OF THE MORNING ,MY WEE LAD CAME INTO OUR ROOM AND PISSED THE BED SO IM JUST DRYING OUT :icon_redface: THATS A CRACKING BITCH ELISDERYN AND SOME OTHER CRACKERS ON HERE TOO.MAYBE IM WRONG ABOUT ALL THIS AND BITCHES WHERE ALWAYS HARD TO COME BY OF A DECENT SIZE AND 100%?IT JUST SEEMS LATELY THE MORE LADS I TALK TO HAVE A LOWER STANDARD FOR BITCHES.

SURELY IF THIS IS RIGHT AND BITCHES ARE DETERIORATING,IN GENERAL,THEN IT BOUND TO HAVE A KNOCK ON EFFECT IN THE ANAMALS THEY PRODUCE,EVENTUALLY???

ONE SO CALLED SELF CONFESSED "TERRIERMAN"HAS BEEN BREEDING OF MEDIOCRE FEMALES FOR A LONG WHILE NOW AND LAST I HEARD HE HAD LOST ALL HE HAD THROUGH THIS PRACTISE.

ANY FELLAS WITH MORE EXPERIENCE THAN ME IN BREEDING HAVE ANY THEORIES??

SOME CRACKING ANIMALS THERE TOO PICKAXE WOZ AND D&N,BUT GIVING A DOG TOO SHAY???? :tongue2:

THE REASON MAINLY FOR THIS THREAD IS TO HEAR OTHERS FEWS,AGAIN AN OLD BULL BOOK I WAS READING RECKONED THE BITCH WAS OF EQUAL IFNOT MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE DOG?

Edited by pip

i actually dont expect my bithces to work as the dogs do. mainly due to size and attitude, ie... my lines generally throw smaller bitches and bigger dogs (noticably). so the bitches wont take the knocks the dogs do. they naturally seem to throw bolting type bitches (mixers) and fairly hard dogs. so i cant compare the dogs to the bitches.

howevre the golden rule is you have to breed from the dog that is best at what it does... i have no quarms about putting a hard type dog over bolting type bitch as i know the lines and pretty much know what to expect. but then i breed for own use and whatever is left somply goes to friends or family.

the problem comes i think when dreamers and messer are able to put bithces that they may think are good (actually probaly shite) to dogs that have a good reputaion (the owners fault) and then the pups are sold with the reputaion....... alot of the time to make a quick buck.

so it comes to the same concluion time and time again... use what you know..... keep the best and cull the rest.

there are too many messers about for it to ever be any other way.

post-17746-1208441556.jpgpost-17746-1208441713_thumb.jpggood bitches are hard to find, i never really kept them, this bitch self entered at 10 months, she started of as a bayer, and still works this way yet seems to be getting braver with every dig, now in her third season she is game as f..k thats why i breed her to a rock hard black and tan to put some head size and general size and coat into the pups they were matted for one reason. they are both 100%
TALKING TO A MATE TONIGHT ABOUT GOOD BITCHES,FEW AND FAR BETWEEN,WHATS UP?WHY DO LADS INSIST ON BREEDING OF MEDIOCRE BITCHES YET EXPECT 100% DOGS?

IF THE BITCH IS NT WORKING TO THE SAME STANDARD AS THE DOG WHY BREED?

SOMETIMES ITS HANDY TO HAVE A BITCH OF THE CALIBRE IM ON ABOUT,BUT NOT TO BREED OF IN MY OPINION.

SOME LADS WON T KEEP BITCHES FOR THIS REASON,THAT THEY THINK THEY ARE NOT CAPABLE OF THE SAME WORK AS A MALE.

I RECKON PEOPLE SHOULD BE CONCENTRATING ON PRODUCING BITCHES CAPABLE OF DOING THE SAME WORK AS A DOG,IF THEY DONT AND YOU NEED THEM FOR YOUR TYPE OF WORK,DON T BREED OF EM.

ANY EXPLANATIONS FOR THIS MIND SET??

well your right that its often the bitch that lacking its share of abbilitys in a mating, my opinion of the reason is as follows....

alot people for what ever reason think that as you have mentioned bitches cant take give or take the preasure like a dog can, so will always look for a dog when looking at pups, which then leads to (in general) more dogs than bitches getting tried and tested at work, which over time will have had a effect on the percentage of good working bitches that are out there....

2 of the 3 best digging dogs iv seen were bitches,one of which i have the pleasure to own and work at the moment(which i must say was bought out the free paper from someone that id never met or heard of, but her parents looked well worked, so took the plunge and took a bitch, what a score for 50 notes) they are out there but are few and far between, and i think the mind set of alot of people who work terriers is fixed on this dogs are hardest attitude, so sadly i think this will be the way of thing to come

post-4185-1208451611_thumb.jpg

Just my opinion and one shared by my digging partner is that to expect anything less from a bitch is to admit that the breeding has gone a bit pear shape .The only difference in our stuff is the weight advantage which adds only a low percentage to the success of a dig .If you are hard on weeding out the small stuff from birth then providing the dog throws decent heads as well as eveything else required in the make up then decent bitches will be produced .The day we expect anything other than a propper result from a bitch will be the end of it all . Attitude as well as physique counts .

Foxdropper