`My theory

Guest pip

A lot of things seem to come up on this forum and others about immoral dog work.Most of this is from young lads who ,due to the current political climate have no mentors as older lads won t compromise their years of buiding relations with farmers and land owners to bring fellas they hardly know out to show how its done right and morally.So we re left with young lads poaching to get work for their dogs and when they get the game they don t know how to deal with it except the brutality they ve seen in anti propaganda films and documentries.

Most terrier men have great respect for dogs and quarry and reduce suffering to dogs and quarry to a minimum.So when proper terriermen attempt to correct the numpties they get accused of being "squeemish"or "soft"or easily offended.

So again due the current climate could i ask ,maybe Donny C ,p***y,Wap,etc etc to pin a thread on ethical terrier work,which has been carried out for years by proper terriermen explaining the do s and don ts of a dig and how and when to separate dog and quarry,and possibly the correct use of tools involved.

Don t read my post as arragant as if i know it all,but i have and do hunt with older fellas who are "old school"ie.Lurchers for rabbit ,hare,and fox.Big dogs for drawing,when that was legal and the terriers job was to stay to dug or bolted then lifted when the quarrys secured.The game was always let run,unless for pest control reasons they had to be dispatched.

I know there has always been fringe elements who enjoy cruelty but they are in the minority but as i say i think there are fellas on here who know and practice good proper dog sport and have a lot to offer the younger lads. I was fortunate enough to be "mentored"or "brainwashed" by family members who had high standards for dogs BUT also high respect for the quarry hunted.

The photos of more than one dog killing quarry is not hunting,IMO,good dogs in my opinion can only be produced by testing,even odds,one dog against one beast,fairly.

Of course this does not include hound work as this is a different topic with regards to testing.

Don t read my post as arragant as if i know it all,but i have and do hunt with older fellas who are "old school"ie.Lurchers for rabbit ,hare,and fox.Big dogs for drawing,when that was legal and the terriers job was to stay to dug or bolted then lifted when the quarrys secured.The game was always let run,unless for pest control reasons they had to be dispatched.

I know there has always been fringe elements who enjoy cruelty but they are in the minority but as i say i think there are fellas on here who know and practice good proper dog sport and have a lot to offer the younger lads. I was fortunate enough to be "mentored"or "brainwashed" by family members who had high standards for dogs BUT also high respect for the quarry hunted.

The photos of more than one dog killing quarry is not hunting,IMO,good dogs in my opinion can only be produced by testing,even odds,one dog against one beast,fairly.

Of course this does not include hound work as this is a different topic with regards to testing.

what your saying is very ture im not that old of a lad :laugh: but i have been doing terrier work for many years haven been showed and told alot about it i know what to do and how to treat the game with the highest respect and its not all about killing.theres two young guys who have been diging with me a for a while they have learned alot from my mistakes and there own will have the know how to go on and become fair terrier men a thing thats not often seen in these parts. :thumbs:
Guest ripstop

;);) i,ve only been into hunting properly for a few seasons but when thought properly like this its very easy to pick up :yes:

very good point pip, im sure a fair amount of people would benefit from this, as you say, its not always about the killing, i for one would welcome such information. unfortunately these fringe elements seem to think its good and BIG to just kill for the sake of it, i for one am not.

Guest dee mac

good point pip you must always respect quarry as without it there s no work for anyboys dogs .plus terrierwork for me is about seeing the terriers you have bred and reared work to the full its not about the killing as i release everything i dig unless farmer or landowner wants it dispatched.

We all work our dogs differently so any input from me would be pointless.There will always be those who spoil it for the majority .I like to let the game run but sometimes its not possible due to landowners or damage etc..I always have a sidearm with me for despatching the quarry when needed.I have often taken younger lads out with me and it helps an old codger like me with the digging .But there is always the problem of some going back on your permission which does make a lot of the lads wary .Hard one to call really .Myself I think it will probably get a lot tougher on the digging side and think there will be some sort of stricter licenseing .There are some complete idiots out there some on this forum when you read between the lines .YIS :thumbs:

A lot of things seem to come up on this forum and others about immoral dog work.Most of this is from young lads who ,due to the current political climate have no mentors as older lads won t compromise their years of buiding relations with farmers and land owners to bring fellas they hardly know out to show how its done right and morally.So we re left with young lads poaching to get work for their dogs and when they get the game they don t know how to deal with it except the brutality they ve seen in anti propaganda films and documentries.

Most terrier men have great respect for dogs and quarry and reduce suffering to dogs and quarry to a minimum.So when proper terriermen attempt to correct the numpties they get accused of being "squeemish"or "soft"or easily offended.

So again due the current climate could i ask ,maybe Donny C ,p***y,Wap,etc etc to pin a thread on ethical terrier work,which has been carried out for years by proper terriermen explaining the do s and don ts of a dig and how and when to separate dog and quarry,and possibly the correct use of tools involved.

pip i think thats a great idea pip id love to read a thread on that i could do with a few tips myself

i second that :thumbs:

A very good point there Pip