your views on jumping!

Iam sure we all have different veiws on dogs jumping fences,barbed wire etc me personally love to see a dog clear a 5 bar gate,fence etc just wondered how you guys/girls feel about it?

or do you prefer to lift them over all obstacles?

i started my pup jumping 6" boards at side of house at 9 weeks old,now 8 months and clearing 4 foot with ease.

th_DSCI0014.jpg

Edited by ghengis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good question, well i havnt taught my whippet cross to jump as alot of the places i walk

the dogs there are loads of the keepers pheasants and they are all on the other side of

stock fences so its great that the bitch cant take off after them, but i prefer the big dog

to jump as he is too big to lifting over loads of gates and fences and he aint that bothered

about pheasants.so my answer is yes and no to jumping.

TEACHING YOUR PUP TO JUMP IS GREAT BUT IWOULD NOT GO ANY HIGHER AT 8 MONTHS ITS BONES ARE STILL SOFT & COULD EASLY BREAK MOST AGILITY CLASSES WONT LET A DOG ENROLE UNTIL ITS 18 MONTHS & THEY DONT JUMP ANYWHERE NEAR 4 FT, SO BE CAREFUL GOOD LUCK WITH THE PUP. PRITCH

to me all lurchers have to be able to jump . :yes: a dog that jacks at a fence and watches its quarry run away into the distance ain't much good is it.

when learning them to jump barb wire use some of that lagging for pipes so they don't get ripped till they get the hang of it just makes it that bit safer.

My dog is pissing me of at the moment jumping!!!! Some nights he will jump 5 bar gates with ease all night and other nights he will bark his head off when faced with a 3ft sheep fence!!!! :wallbash: I've put quite a lot of time into his jumping lately which makes it even more frustrating!

I personally wouldnt keep a dog that didnt jump as i think a lot of game can be lost when your struggling to lift your dog over a stone wall etc

to me all lurchers have to be able to jump . :yes: a dog that jacks at a fence and watches its quarry run away into the distance ain't much good is it.

when learning them to jump barb wire use some of that lagging for pipes so they don't get ripped till they get the hang of it just makes it that bit safer.

them pics are class :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: love to c dogs that jump gates an fences in the field realy is another type quality that separates a good dog from a very good dog geuinely game for its quarry wont let anything stand in its way of work great fooking brill :thumbs:

Guest spud.

008ks2.jpg

my sal/grey x bullxgrey pup at 4.5mnth. thanks prich bout sayin bout bones he wont be jumpin any higher now dont wana ruin him even tho hes doin gud.

Edited by spud.