your views on jumping!

my dog will jump no probs daytime or lamping, but when im heading out i always lift her over barbed fences as to me the effort involved is minimal, as opposed to her cutting herself and not being able to lamp, on the way home she is expected to jump and when on quarry the same but when were heading out she is always lifted until she is put on game, saves a wasted trip, maybe im being over cautious but it works for me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had several dogs killed through jumping and more injured so I strongly discourage it particularly at night and I wont run a dog anywhere with a lot of wire. In the daytime, my dogs will tend to follow their quarry over fences etc but I would much rather have them lose whatever they are chasing than risk huge vets bills and having dogs out of action for weeks through jumping related injuries. When you count the pennies jumping doesn't add up for me.

some people might be happy with their dogs not jumping at night while chasing,but not me.what if you have a fence in the middle of a massive field and the quarry decides to jump it while the dogs up its arse.would you be happy for your dog to stop and watch it run off :icon_eek:.i remember seeing a big 27 inch dog running a deer (pre ban) jib because the deer jumped a 3ft fence :no: .not my type of dog!

ive yet to see a dog in the middle of a feild not jumping after deer but if the truth be told only a stupid deer runs from one big feild to the next they usaly hit cover and dont stop for nothing , your lucky to get the chance one big feild to the next ,ours is one feild caught or gone out the beam ,ive caught several out the beam over the years but can be a,headache if your not spot on were they are going to pull it pre ban

Guest dog on
some people might be happy with their dogs not jumping at night while chasing,but not me.what if you have a fence in the middle of a massive field and the quarry decides to jump it while the dogs up its arse.would you be happy for your dog to stop and watch it run off :icon_eek:.i remember seeing a big 27 inch dog running a deer (pre ban) jib because the deer jumped a 3ft fence :no: .not my type of dog![/quote
Edited by dog on

jumping at night out of the lamp. . . . can be v. hazardous and expensive vet bills. . . . . attached should be pic of very badly injured running dog. Why cant I upload picture. I hit browse and select the pic I want and then hit upload , and then get told that I havent selected a file to upload..... any help appreciated. Thx in advance

deer hit the fence sometimes but localy there not to many fences and they no there runs as there never far out feeding unless you walk on to them, they all live in old woods mostly , there no live stock localy so the fences are not so good to stop bambi had the odd one caught in a fence but most are caught with a fast type of jukel long before they get near the fence , ive never relied on deer hitting fences mostly i use wind and local knowledge ive hunted the same 200 sqaure miles for years , so mostly feild craft and handy dogs , i have buckled deer on hedge sides but saw several plough thru them just all depends how dark and were there out lying , but never relied on fences to catch deer even tho you will in areas buckle them on a fence when the dogs up his ass , ive had them pinned on deer fences many a time but that diff , all the best ,

i think jumping is essencial but only if its safe on the other side. cause if your out lamping and the dog jumps a gate or fence then you and the dog are only gonna no what on the other side when it lands and a farmer could have left machery or something on the other side and you wouldnt see it at night, also if the dog jumps a fence during a chase if the dog is chasing for a couple of minutes and is carrying back a 4lb rabbit jumping over the gate could be a different story. one of my mates old dogs coursed a hare and coming back it jumped a wire fence it had cleared on the way over but never made it on the way back and it tore the skin clean of its leg and had to be rested for a month

very true had dogs jump with hares and rabbits , now i nip over or put my hand thru sheep fence and take rabbit of them luke lana would hold a rabb at side of fence my saluks not so much but thyre do it when it suits them all depends on circumstaces , got two dogs lame at moment s barb wire cost 150 but thats the first bill for four seasons worth mentioning , had dog die thru jumping a deer fence and cost me 4oo pound trying to save him ,and the best about it could not replace him as his father was dead pure saluki cross greyhound father was tor of dartmoor a few years back now , lana luke mhirn sol all jumped chaseing at nite and were high prey driven they all had wire scars infact all my dogs have ,part and parcel of running bigger game pre ban

Guest dog on
deer hit the fence sometimes but localy there not to many fences and they no there runs as there never far out feeding unless you walk on to them, they all live in old woods mostly , there no live stock localy so the fences are not so good to stop bambi had the odd one caught in a fence but most are caught with a fast type of jukel long before they get near the fence , ive never relied on deer hitting fences mostly i use wind and local knowledge ive hunted the same 200 sqaure miles for years , so mostly feild craft and handy dogs , i have buckled deer on hedge sides but saw several plough thru them just all depends how dark and were there out lying , but never relied on fences to catch deer even tho you will in areas buckle them on a fence when the dogs up his ass , ive had them pinned on deer fences many a time but that diff , all the bes
Edited by dog on
some people might be happy with their dogs not jumping at night while chasing,but not me.what if you have a fence in the middle of a massive field and the quarry decides to jump it while the dogs up its arse.would you be happy for your dog to stop and watch it run off :icon_eek:.i remember seeing a big 27 inch dog running a deer (pre ban) jib because the deer jumped a 3ft fence :no: .not my type of dog!

NO disrespect IF you was yusing the lamp right .90 percent of time quarry would hit fence

thats were am going wrong then lol.i cant use the lamp right probabley because am left handed :D .am talking about all quarry by the way not just the ones that jump over :thumbs:

ye maybe, we only have roe but very big and good sized caught four figures over the last twenty years and wel the quicker they turn them of the woodside and buckle them the better then on to the next one caught bigger deer ,on dif land and saw them prang of fences and found the dogs feilds away next to fences the dogs obvisily on a lightish night prangned them against the fence but mostly were i hunt the fence is only some times a help and as for ditche, very few localy that would stop a deer , caught a few getting hanked on bushes one on the fork of a tree couldnt believe it me and my nephes caught it before the dogs, it wedged its body panicking in the fork of a bush should have let him go but well coin comes first ,all the best, diff land diff tricks, the best way for me local is driving stubbles as the feilds are massive have the dogs out the car and catch them quick and on to the next one some feilds are so big had three in the same feild early on when they are still green , i could tell athousand instances how we caught pre ban and how we never all the best

Guest dog on

thats were am going wrong then lol.i cant use the lamp right probabley because am left handed :D .am talking about all quarry by the way not just the ones that jump over :thumbs:

Edited by dog on
Guest dog on
ye maybe, we only have roe but very big and good sized caught four figures over the last twenty years and wel the quicker they turn them of the woodside and buckle them the better then on to the next one caught bigger deer ,on dif land and saw them prang of fences and found the dogs feilds away next to fences the dogs obvisily on a lightish night prangned them against the fence but mostly were i hunt the fence is only some times a help and as for ditche, very few localy that would stop a deer , caught a few getting hanked on bushes one on the fork of a tree couldnt believe it me and my nephes caught it before the dogs, it wedged its body panicking in the fork of a bush should have let him go but well coin comes first ,all the best, diff land diff tricks, the best way for me local is driving stubbles as the feilds are massive have the dogs out the car and catch them quick and on to the next one some feilds are so big had three in the same feild early on when they are still green , i could tell athousand instances how we caught pre ban and how we never all the best
Edited by dog on
to me all lurchers have to be able to jump . :yes: a dog that jacks at a fence and watches its quarry run away into the distance ain't much good is it.

when learning them to jump barb wire use some of that lagging for pipes so they don't get ripped till they get the hang of it just makes it that bit safer.

them pics are class :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: love to c dogs that jump gates an fences in the field realy is another type quality that separates a good dog from a very good dog geuinely game for its quarry wont let anything stand in its way of work great fooking brill :thumbs:

:drink: mate a few more for you :thumbs: