Good Morning

I have been reading numerous threads on here about people who have worked/still work teckels. I know alot of people use them mainly for bushing etc but does anyone have any experience using them for Earth work? 
What are your geniune thoughts on their ability, they seem to be becoming more popular

Many thanks

2 hours ago, joelad said:

Good Morning

I have been reading numerous threads on here about people who have worked/still work teckels. I know alot of people use them mainly for bushing etc but does anyone have any experience using them for Earth work? 
What are your geniune thoughts on their ability, they seem to be becoming more popular

Many thanks

It's same with any strain of working type dog you get what you put in. You put the time & dedication into that breed get something positive out of the line. And keep it strong not weak then a can't see why you'd go wrong. Not all Teckels will be the same like any terrier. You could get a well bred terrier but if you don't put the time & dedication in then it's not going to make much. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

They aint a patch on a decent black dog or Russell type for digging over👍

Have you got experience digging to teckels mate? Will they stay with their quarry or do they come out after a while?

If they were any good more people would be using them, plenty have got into them then moved on, have a look on youtube they seem to wander in and out of settes even when there 2 or more of them, if you want to do any serious digging stick to what works

• Like 6

They are a fad...just like them jagd terriers....if they was any good,they would be everywhere....they just a money making scheme, same as XL bullies etc....unless you got collars on them... right a  pain in the arse if they drop to ground and you dont know where they are😉 terrier on a lead,dog marks,you collar it up,let it go...no need to f**k about with a formula that already works👍

• Like 6
54 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

They are a fad...just like them jagd terriers....if they was any good,they would be everywhere....they just a money making scheme, same as XL bullies etc....unless you got collars on them... right a  pain in the arse if they drop to ground and you dont know where they are😉 terrier on a lead,dog marks,you collar it up,let it go...no need to f**k about with a formula that already works👍

Fair comment👍

Was curious on people’s thoughts that’s all.
Surely there’s some folk putting collars on them and dropping them in (just like you would a terrier)?

53 minutes ago, joelad said:

Fair comment👍

Was curious on people’s thoughts that’s all.
Surely there’s some folk putting collars on them and dropping them in (just like you would a terrier)?

Probably is somewhere....but no one whos serious or done abit of digging,wants to be start, stopping and worse trenching on to a 5 min wonder,thats popping out for a breather every few minutes🙈 ....you leave them sorts with the backfill...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

It's same with any strain of working type dog you get what you put in. You put the time & dedication into that breed get something positive out of the line. And keep it strong not weak then a can't see why you'd go wrong. Not all Teckels will be the same like any terrier. You could get a well bred terrier but if you don't put the time & dedication in then it's not going to make much. 

You can be as dedicated as you want if it's not in it your not putting it in it, it's really that simple. 

• Like 11
13 hours ago, joelad said:

Good Morning

Many thanks

I keep a few teckels and can only comment on mine.

There a grand breed, i use mine for bushing and you'd have a right bit of craic with them

I have one dog that would be hard enough. But the others are either not bothered about going to ground or will go in and sound away. You'd get handy foxes with them but you wouldn't be digging 6 foot to them. That suits me as I want them hunting.

There might be lines that are better for digging?

As others said if you are serious about digging than other breeds might be more suitable.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, dogmandont said:

You can be as dedicated as you want if it's not in it your not putting it in it, it's really that simple. 

There again you've not got the comment and at it again. A said it's like any breed of dog you have to put the time in dedication. Years ago all dogs had to start off fresh they wouldn't of know if a dog had it in it or not. That's why a said it's same with any working strain of dog. You can't knock all teckels. There's many black dogs and other terriers that haven't made the dog they should have. It just happens that's life. 

• Like 1

can't fault mine will go in and let off if ones at home. As with anything use your head and don't put them in something massive or you'll be digging through to following morning and in the daily news paper. Collar is a must, but it would be stupid to send a dog in without just incase they get stuck. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

There again you've not got the comment and at it again. A said it's like any breed of dog you have to put the time in dedication. Years ago all dogs had to start off fresh they wouldn't of know if a dog had it in it or not. That's why a said it's same with any working strain of dog. You can't knock all teckels. There's many black dogs and other terriers that haven't made the dog they should have. It just happens that's life. 

Bangers...what hes saying is...you cant polish a turd,you can put as much time into a digging dog as you want...but if its hearts not in it....they will walk out on you one day, nothing is guaranteed...some start off flying first season or 2...then for what ever reason they walk out on you🙈...there is no winning formula when it comes to working dogs,you can put best to best,feed them the best and still end up with nothing...like they say...takes as much to feed a good un,as a bad 1...the problem is lads breeding from said dogs because they don't have the heart to PTS, because of the money and time they put into the dog....then they take yours and my money and sell us a  dream😉

f**k,Ive lost count of the number of dogs Ive had that aint made the grade.... some I bred myself, others gifted and some I payed strong money for over the yrs...you do the right thing,dust yourself off and craic on...👍

• Like 6