Rats the size of dogs

WWW.STOKESENTINEL.CO.UK

Kieran Sampler, 29, has been a pest controller for seven years and has caught 50,000 rats in that time. He...

this lad reckons he's had 50,000 rats in 7 years, including one as big as a dog! 

Every year the newspapers tell us rats are getting bigger and smarter. By the time I retire they are going to be the size of Labradors and driving cars!

• Haha 2

I had one particularly large one (not as big as a dog though) which frequented my garden for a while. It made a guest appearance in the middle of my son's birthday party about fourteen years ago. Fortunately, only one of my neighbours spotted it, but she renamed it "the wallaby."

The kelpies eventually cornered it inside the potting shed. It had climbed up the sloping side but was unable to get out again. When I went into the shed in the morning I opened up one of the drawers and saw something move. I initially jumped back in shock, then said to myself, 'don't be daft, that was just a thick piece of rope.' I then remembered that there was no rope in that drawer...it was the tail! That one still sends shivers down my spine. No idea how big it was as there wasn't much left of it after Rusty and Scout finished with it.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

WWW.STOKESENTINEL.CO.UK

Kieran Sampler, 29, has been a pest controller for seven years and has caught 50,000 rats in that time. He...

this lad reckons he's had 50,000 rats in 7 years, including one as big as a dog! 

Every year the newspapers tell us rats are getting bigger and smarter. By the time I retire they are going to be the size of Labradors and driving cars!

Seen a few rats driving round in cars to be fair 🤣

11 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

People who aren't used to seeing rats never see a small or average size one, it's always a MASSIVE rat! 

Bit like my young lad (19) with spiders. 🙄 Swear there was a monster in the room, the feckin screams of him

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Bit like my young lad (19) with spiders. 🙄 Swear there was a monster in the room, the feckin screams of him

To honest I'm the same with spiders. I'm not scared of them, I a can bluff it out and remove them  from a room looking all brave, even worked under floors in electrical switch rooms that have small plague like populations, but when one pops up unexpectedly I shit myself. And it's always MASSIVE!

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, eastcoast said:

To honest I'm the same with spiders. I'm not scared of them, I a can bluff it out and remove them  from a room looking all brave, even worked under floors in electrical switch rooms that have small plague like populations, but when one pops up unexpectedly I shit myself. And it's always MASSIVE!

Been taking a shed down today my mates a boxer and we took some stuff out shed he jumped couple foot screamed it's a false widow ... was fuxking tiny little thing lol 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Been taking a shed down today my mates a boxer and we took some stuff out shed he jumped couple foot screamed it's a false widow ... was fuxking tiny little thing lol 

Ive got a similar story that includes an ex professional boxer,myself,a burnt out shed,a tiny f***ing spider, stepping on a great big f***ing nail,then driving to A and E🙄🤣👍

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, eastcoast said:

And it's always MASSIVE!

Yeah until you kill them and call the mrs to show her your brave deed and the dead giant spider has shrunk to the size of a grain of rice,💪☹️ lol.

Edited by Aussie Whip
12 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Yeah until you kill them and call the mrs to show her your brave deed and the dead giant spider has shrunk to the size of a grain of rice,💪☹️ lol.

Don't know why they unsettle me, nothing with 6 legs or 4 legs or 2 legs or even no legs has that effect. Maybe that's it, they just have too many legs and too many eyes. I would imagine that being wary of spiders is no bad thing in your part of the world though 🙂 

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Don't know why they unsettle me, nothing with 6 legs or 4 legs or 2 legs or even no legs has that effect. Maybe that's it, they just have too many legs and too many eyes. I would imagine that being wary of spiders is no bad thing in your part of the world though 🙂 

Only the redback and funnel web are really a danger over here. If you leave a tin can or similar overnight in the yard you can be sure it will have a redback in it. You rarely see a funnel web spider but yeah, you have to be aware.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw two tails sticking out of this box, one still moving so I went for the gun. One in the trap and another one eating it. I wasn't quick enough to bag the cannibal rat.

PXL_20240418_113832135.MP.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Saw two tails sticking out of this box, one still moving so I went for the gun. One in the trap and another one eating it. I wasn't quick enough to bag the cannibal rat.

PXL_20240418_113832135.MP.jpg

Feeding on your own, gruesome but survival of the fittest personified. I read something once that said the reason that we despise rats so much is that they are the animal that most reminds us of ourselves. At the time I discounted it, these days... 

• Like 2