Half term next week.... thinking of taking my lad to jockland for a couple of days. Was thinking Edinburgh and the castle then perhaps Stirling castle along with a visit to Roslyn chapel. 

Any suggestions for accommodation that would be suitable for Edinburgh and Stirling, maybe somewhere in-between. 

Is accommodation in Edinburgh really expensive? 

Any other ideas of places to visit?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dido. I,ve said it many times, in different context, on here. Melrose is the place to go in the Scottish Borders. I was born there and schooled there never mind playing rugby on the famous Greenyards.

I lived in leith forty years ago for a bit . Sounds like it changed a bit. I got stabbed, smaked on head with iron bar put my eye out it's socket, saw neighbours in flat above go past window when they

Just booked 3 nights in Edinburgh.... going to Roslyn chapel Saturday and Edinburgh castle on Sunday.   

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Half term next week.... thinking of taking my lad to jockland for a couple of days. Was thinking Edinburgh and the castle then perhaps Stirling castle along with a visit to Roslyn chapel. 

Any suggestions for accommodation that would be suitable for Edinburgh and Stirling, maybe somewhere in-between. 

Air BnB is your best bet,lots of choice,haven’t been to Edinburgh in years so can’t remember the cost.

I actually thought of you today,I saw a genuine pith helmet hanging on a wall in a gentlemen’s club in Richmond.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mackem said:

Air BnB is your best bet,lots of choice,haven’t been to Edinburgh in years so can’t remember the cost.

I actually thought of you today,I saw a genuine pith helmet hanging on a wall in a gentlemen’s club in Richmond.

I've never used air BnB...I'll take a look 👍

7 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I've never used air BnB...I'll take a look 👍

I have used them all over Edinburgh will be full of them,enjoy your holiday.

• Like 1

Stayed in Edinburgh last week at Premier Inn on the waterfront..Leith....it was a nice little area...there was a fish restaurant next door....that all the reviews said did the best fish and chips

• Like 1

Dido. I,ve said it many times, in different context, on here. Melrose is the place to go in the Scottish Borders. I was born there and schooled there never mind playing rugby on the famous Greenyards. You have Melrose Abbey, the monks gardens which my grandfather tended for many years. Incidentally , he was the last person to ring The Abbey bell. The finest of salmon runs coming up from Kelso which I know you will like. Quality accommodation with personal friends of mine. All in all, THE place to start your adventures in Edinburgh. I could without doubt, take you on a fantastic adventure in the Scottish Borders but will let you discover the beauty and historic culture for yourself. There are one or two more on here who would no doubt endorse my feelings. Jok.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

Stayed in Edinburgh last week at Premier Inn on the waterfront..Leith....it was a nice little area...there was a fish restaurant next door....that all the reviews said did the best fish and chips

the way things are going.....is that Carp and chips.....lol lol lol....

On 27/03/2024 at 19:05, jok said:

Dido. I,ve said it many times, in different context, on here. Melrose is the place to go in the Scottish Borders. I was born there and schooled there never mind playing rugby on the famous Greenyards. You have Melrose Abbey, the monks gardens which my grandfather tended for many years. Incidentally , he was the last person to ring The Abbey bell. The finest of salmon runs coming up from Kelso which I know you will like. Quality accommodation with personal friends of mine. All in all, THE place to start your adventures in Edinburgh. I could without doubt, take you on a fantastic adventure in the Scottish Borders but will let you discover the beauty and historic culture for yourself. There are one or two more on here who would no doubt endorse my feelings. Jok.

You’d need to take dido to a common riding , think Hawick would be the best bet as if I’d recall it’s the biggest . 

lost many a weekend up in Langholm from a Thursday afternoon onwards to watching horses galloping past 

• Like 1
On 27/03/2024 at 17:19, DIDO.1 said:

Not sure how old your boy is but your a fool if you don’t go the holy trinity of black bull , banshee labyrinth and biddy mulligans on a Saturday . 

boozing on a bank holiday in old town  Edinburgh is something that just must be experienced . As a younger lad with my now wife  , I once spent a weekend in Newcastle , Edinburgh and Blackpool over consecutive nights. Never really recovered to be honest 😂😂

• Haha 2

The Common riding in Galashiels is possibly the most famous.  We farmed on Threepwood which was a fantastic Hunt meet. Melrose hosted a meet which took place over the Tweed. All in all the hunting fraternity had, and probably still has, a a heck of a following in the Borders.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Not sure how old your boy is but your a fool if you don’t go the holy trinity of black bull , banshee labyrinth and biddy mulligans on a Saturday . 

boozing on a bank holiday in old town  Edinburgh is something that just must be experienced . As a younger lad with my now wife  , I once spent a weekend in Newcastle , Edinburgh and Blackpool over consecutive nights. Never really recovered to be honest 😂😂

He's 11 and I hardly drink....think we will stick to castles and ghost tours 🤣

• Haha 1

The ghost tour is genuinely one of the best things I’ve done that didn’t want to do ( wife’s into all that ) 

You go right under the city into places that are all closed off to everyone else . 

• Like 1