just bought a stove, first solid fuel for 25 years, I intend to burn more smokeless coal than wood, anyone know what best coal is, performance, price etc. 

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

just bought a stove, first solid fuel for 25 years, I intend to burn more smokeless coal than wood, anyone know what best coal is, performance, price etc. 

Works out a lot cheaper if you buy a ton, the price of coal like most things has scored, I use less than ten bags a year and normally Knick half, but I like the Tay bright about £19 a bag on the petrol station forecourt, burns well and stays in overnight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to have a "Little Wenlock" Muti full burner and if I could get it i used to burn that Welsh steam coal. Bloody hell does that burn hot, no idea if you can still get it or the price. Suppose to burn clean as well.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
5 hours ago, fred90 said:

I burn smokeless coal sometimes to keep the burner in overnight I use supertherme smokeless it’s about £17.50-£19 a bag tbh I think coal is messy the amount off ash produced I have to clean out the ash tray daily it’s ok to start with but soon gets boring plus if your burner has a glass window you need to clean it every couple of burns I favour wood as it burns clean 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, poxon said:

I burn smokeless coal sometimes to keep the burner in overnight I use supertherme smokeless it’s about £17.50-£19 a bag tbh I think coal is messy the amount off ash produced I have to clean out the ash tray daily it’s ok to start with but soon gets boring plus if your burner has a glass window you need to clean it every couple of burns I favour wood as it burns clean 

thanks, it's supposed to be all singing, dancing eco design, runs on the tears of squirrels, airwash system supposed to clean glass. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, fred90 said:

thanks, it's supposed to be all singing, dancing eco design, runs on the tears of squirrels, airwash system supposed to clean glass. 

Your enjoy it either way mate still a cheaper alternative to running a boiler you have a option of switching to whatever fuel sauce you want to use or have the most of plus the heat is a cosy heat rather than a dry heat like central heating 👌🏽

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, poxon said:

Your enjoy it either way mate still a cheaper alternative to running a boiler you have a option of switching to whatever fuel sauce you want to use or have the most of plus the heat is a cosy heat rather than a dry heat like central heating 👌🏽

will do, I have only bought it for the whippet 🐕‍🦺

• Like 1

Always found  supertherm decent...as said buy by the ton ..around £600 a ton =£15 a 25 kg bag 

Edit to add ..buy in summer if you can ,prices are lower.

7 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Not might as well use gas if you don't have a good supply of logs.... especially if your paying supermarket prices for fuel 

PXL_20240318_092125191.jpg

That's what I use but only a few bags as iv a good supply of logs ! 

• Like 1

I'm currently paying £120  for a 4x4 crate of Ash logs , , it's actually a loadall  bucket full,   he just tips it in , fills the crate and some, lasts us 5 weeks,  £24 quid a week, we use around 40-50kg  a week  of smokeless fuel if we are just burning that so logs work out a fair bit cheaper for us .

20240318_171958.jpg

• Like 1