Cattle dog 10 months pics

48 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

When the rabbit is in the net,..it belongs to you, its going nowhere....🙄

Slow everything down,... and ask him to stand back when a Coney is in the meshes,.. his services are not required..😉

A work dog is an investment, ..so forget messing about with shushis for now,. just spend all Summer educating him to behave in the way you would like him to,... for the rest of his life....

Think about it....😉

_MG_7744.JPG

Yep 100 percent Phil been on wit that command atb taffey 

IMG_5735.png

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good day ferreting with a different group of lads they all commented on how alert and switched on she is she done well today 

Phenomenal strike on her

Posted Images

3 hours ago, taffey said:

Not at mo no he only mouthing gently in long nets will know more come sept when he gets some lamping won’t make any odds to me to be honest only a bit of ferret food etc 

My bitch has been sound with her mouth very soft but lately have noticed on the last couple of outing she is getting slightly harder mouthed on the rabbit.

3 hours ago, taffey said:

Not at mo no he only mouthing gently in long nets will know more come sept when he gets some lamping won’t make any odds to me to be honest only a bit of ferret food etc 

My bitch has been sound with her mouth very soft but lately have noticed on the last couple of outing she is getting slightly harder mouthed on the rabbit.

1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

When the rabbit is in the net,..it belongs to you, its going nowhere....🙄

Slow everything down,... and ask him to stand back when a Coney is in the meshes,.. his services are not required..😉

A work dog is an investment, ..so forget messing about with shushis for now,. just spend all Summer educating him to behave in the way you would like him to,... for the rest of his life....

Think about it....😉

_MG_7744.JPG

DSC_0170.jpg

How would you implement that as my bitch like a steam train when they hit the net so does she at 100mph 

I'm hopeful she would grow out of that but I'm open to ideas how to slow her down 

14 hours ago, ferretgirl29 said:

How would you implement that as my bitch like a steam train when they hit the net so does she at 100mph 

I'm hopeful she would grow out of that but I'm open to ideas how to slow her down 

I would expect a young dog to have all the drive in the world,...if it hasn't, then its not worth a dime,...but, ya got to impress upon a rabbiting dog,...that stupid behaviour,... is simply not acceptable....😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

I would expect a young dog to have all the drive in the world,...if it hasn't, then its not worth a dime,...but, ya got to impress upon a rabbiting dog,...that stupid behaviour,... is simply not acceptable....😉

_MG_2852.JPG

She has bags of drive and listens so will try and work on her over the summer months 

• Like 2

I don't think it would take much learning with these clever sods, they pick up anything just from watching and listening.  When I started Ozz lamping I'd already had the summer drilling the hand signals into him, palm of my hand means "stop" , hand flat meant "lie down" , a bit over the top for someone that doesn't poach but I like to see their brains work. Well the first few nights I can't tell you the frustration I had when Ozz, for no reason would stop (without me knowing) would stop and stay while all the time I'd be walking on ! I'd get a hundred yards or so, flick the lamp on and the retard would be where I last had a look. It wasn't for a few weeks that I realised he thought the lamp going down by my side in my hand was the palm open and he'd got to sit and stay 😂  

I could tell you a few stories about him being on the ball but I don't want to steal the thread, I look forward to hearing the stories of your youngster.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, dillydog said:

I don't think it would take much learning with these clever sods, they pick up anything just from watching and listening.  When I started Ozz lamping I'd already had the summer drilling the hand signals into him, palm of my hand means "stop" , hand flat meant "lie down" , a bit over the top for someone that doesn't poach but I like to see their brains work. Well the first few nights I can't tell you the frustration I had when Ozz, for no reason would stop (without me knowing) would stop and stay while all the time I'd be walking on ! I'd get a hundred yards or so, flick the lamp on and the retard would be where I last had a look. It wasn't for a few weeks that I realised he thought the lamp going down by my side in my hand was the palm open and he'd got to sit and stay 😂  

I could tell you a few stories about him being on the ball but I don't want to steal the thread, I look forward to hearing the stories of your youngster.

Cheers

Sure she will pick it up ta

4 hours ago, dillydog said:

My worst-most-hair-raising example of that was when my family and I stopped at Lyme Regis on our way to Dartmoor. I'd taught a previous kelpie to jump by saying 'over' or with a hand signal. We were standing by a sea wall about fifteen feet or more high when my wife pointed into the distance and asked, 'Is that the Cobb OVER there?'

Next thing I know I'm holding one end of the lead while Ned is hanging by his neck on the other side of the wall. I had no alternative but to drop him and hope he landed like a cat.😲 Fortunately he did.

Edited to add: needless to say, he's the one I rehomed as he was too full-on for my taste.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1
On 04/03/2024 at 08:42, Neal said:

My worst-most-hair-raising example of that was when my family and I stopped at Lyme Regis on our way to Dartmoor. I'd taught a previous kelpie to jump by saying 'over' or with a hand signal. We were standing by a sea wall about fifteen feet or more high when my wife pointed into the distance and asked, 'Is that the Cobb OVER there?'

Next thing I know I'm holding one end of the lead while Ned is hanging by his neck on the other side of the wall. I had no alternative but to drop him and hope he landed like a cat.😲 Fortunately he did.

Edited to add: needless to say, he's the one I rehomed as he was too full-on for my taste.

Canny ole Dawgs them Kelpies..😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 01/03/2024 at 10:36, dillydog said:

Doesn't look like this bitch is holding,  I'm up for a plan B 😔 

Ozz is getting no younger, it would have been nice to get something by him direct but this greyhound bitch isn't going to give me what I want. 

Edited by Marvel