7 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I keep hearing and reading about the Army recruitment policies though i am still at a bit of a loss as why my grandson was turned down as they said he did not weigh enough as he is wiry and does not carry an ounce of fat partly due to him being an active kid.

they do have a minimum weight limit for a male of 65 kilo and a bmi limit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know the ins and outs of the situation , but I don’t see what having an ex snco benefits the situation . 

if it’s as you say, and the reason is a physical requirement, not having the correct mass / bmi then a few months lifting weights and eating anything that’s not nailed down should help him 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Incidentally my army softee strides in medium are around a 60 inch waist 

Has your gastric bypass worked Lpd?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I don’t know the ins and outs of the situation , but I don’t see what having an ex snco benefits the situation . 

if it’s as you say, and the reason is a physical requirement, not having the correct mass / bmi then a few months lifting weights and eating anything that’s not nailed down should help him 

That's what he's on with now and with him only being 16 they have told him he needs to put another 4kilo on. I have told him to leave it till he's 18 as he will probably gain more weight as he gets older. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

That's what he's on with now and with him only being 16 they have told him he needs to put another 4kilo on. I have told him to leave it till he's 18 as he will probably gain more weight as he gets older. 

Others will be more qualified to comment but yeah I'd tell him to leave it a year or two. Think at 16 they go to Harrogate army college. He's better spending a bit of time working on his fitness and condition at home. Takes a lot to leave home at 16 and most struggle

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Others will be more qualified to comment but yeah I'd tell him to leave it a year or two. Think at 16 they go to Harrogate army college. He's better spending a bit of time working on his fitness and condition at home. Takes a lot to leave home at 16 and most struggle

I’m at the AFC at Harrogate every month or so, most off the young lads there are well rounded and a credit.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, bell said:

I’m at the AFC at Harrogate every month or so, most off the young lads there are well rounded and a credit.

Definitely 👍

Just know how hard it is to leave home at 16, a couple more years and a driving license under their belts might be a better time for some to give it a go.

A mates lad joined at 16 and had 'british army' tattooed up his arm along with the date he joined. Only lasted 12 weeks 🤣

10 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

That's what I have told him mate his dad is 6 foot 4 and about 15 stone but he's took after my daughter who is slightly built. I have kept quite a bit but I tend to think they are both on his case a bit about the army even though he has told me he really wants to join. I know lads have made good lives and careers out of the army but their is a lad near me in his 40s who suffers with severe mental health problems after seeing his mate killed in action a lad called Paul Barnes who Brendan Ingle wrote about in his book the Paddy and the Prince who he said he was one of the best boxing prospects as a young lad he had seen he gave boxing up to join the army and now lives a life with a tormented mind.

1 minute ago, tatsblisters said:

That's what I have told him mate his dad is 6 foot 4 and about 15 stone but he's took after my daughter who is slightly built. I have kept quite a bit but I tend to think they are both on his case a bit about the army even though he has told me he really wants to join. I know lads have made good lives and careers out of the army but their is a lad near me in his 40s who suffers with severe mental health problems after seeing his mate killed in action a lad called Paul Barnes who Brendan Ingle wrote about in his book the Paddy and the Prince who he said he was one of the best boxing prospects as a young lad he had seen he gave boxing up to join the army and now lives a life with a tormented mind.

There's plenty people living with tormented minds....some saw people killed in pure accidents, some through drink or drugs and some who never went through anything at all. The lad will find his own course in life and if the army is meant to be for him it will happen. 

He might start seeing some fancy bit of skirt in the next 6 months and decide to get a trade instead 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

There's plenty people living with tormented minds....some saw people killed in pure accidents, some through drink or drugs and some who never went through anything at all. The lad will find his own course in life and if the army is meant to be for him it will happen. 

He might start seeing some fancy bit of skirt in the next 6 months and decide to get a trade instead 

Probably mate he is already at college doing engineering and welding. 

• Like 1