Project motorcycles before an after

Just now, poxon said:

The dt an tz are very similar engines think it was just the cylinder head that was different and the gearing. Bet that dt flew! Last dtr I had was a k reg it’d do the clock 80mph my mate had a little tzr 125 that little thing was mental he tuned it himself  that would go off the clock I’m sure they had 110 mph 

Yeah I’m sure it had the tiny tzr wheels on so was rapid 👍

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I’d start a post on project motorcycles that some of you lads have done or doing?  this is the little project I done a 03 kx125 she’s now a clean little bike that runs super clean and cri

Rebuilt my 1988 Honda XR 80R a few yrs back for my lads 10 th birthday...gives me a massive smile knowing he started off riding my first geared bike👍

A yammy TT  my bro did , he imported the bike from california 

Posted Images

Little kx is whooped 🥲down on compression to much wringing its neck! I was going to wait a while an finish collecting all the bits to do a race themed build but looks like it’ll be getting fully stripped over the next week 

IMG_6408.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

IMG_6409.jpeg

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, poxon said:

Little kx is whooped 🥲down on compression to much wringing its neck! I was going to wait a while an finish collecting all the bits to do a race themed build but looks like it’ll be getting fully stripped over the next week 

IMG_6408.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

IMG_6409.jpeg

wow that is low, did that bike start/run any good with 50psi....if it did, that gauge must be up the creek...a good engine would be around the 150psi mark, i think....

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, tillylamp said:

wow that is low, did that bike start/run any good with 50psi....if it did, that gauge must be up the creek...a good engine would be around the 150psi mark, i think....

Amazingly it still runs 😯 but lumpy as hell the revs hang up like it had a air leak ticks over like crap then cuts out I first thought crank seal was bad and drawing in air  I’m guessing the only reason it runs with 50psi is because it ain’t got a conventional carburettor im using a lectron meter rod jetless carb on it so it’s self adjusting so would just dump the amount of fuel an air to run it. The gauge is a fresh un only used twice when I first put the bike together I’m sure it had about 160psi might have had a little more 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, poxon said:

Amazingly it still runs 😯 but lumpy as hell the revs hang up like it had a air leak ticks over like crap then cuts out I first thought crank seal was bad and drawing in air  I’m guessing the only reason it runs with 50psi is because it ain’t got a conventional carburettor im using a lectron meter rod jetless carb on it so it’s self adjusting so would just dump the amount of fuel an air to run it. The gauge is a fresh un only used twice when I first put the bike together I’m sure it had about 160psi might have had a little more 

yep...time for a tear down, when your done, how long between rebuilds...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, tillylamp said:

yep...time for a tear down, when your done, how long between rebuilds...

Top ends on motor cross bikes vary some say after every race meeting they like to put a fresh top end on most people say 20hours some say you should get 40hrs I’ve a hour meter on mine I’m at 21.8hrs I think these little 125 should be done pretty regularly as they only have 1x piston ring and are a highly strung engine I think mines got a normal cast piston in it but think I’ll up grade to a forged race piston I’ve just looked at a kit it’s £150 for a top end kit 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, poxon said:

the flywheel side seal is easy  to spray easy  start or carb cleaner etc around it see if it changes the note mate 

i always stick with cast pistons were i can 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

the flywheel side seal is easy  to spray easy  start or carb cleaner etc around it see if it changes the note mate 

i always stick with cast pistons were i can 

Why stick with cast mate?

1 minute ago, poxon said:

Why stick with cast mate?

you will have tighter clearances with cast mate forged expand more so you will have more chance of damage piston slap  when the engine is cold 

even if the owner is sensible and warms the engine before giving it any hammer i’d still choose cast my self mate but sometimes all you can get is forged just warm them up is all you can do

you will have tighter clearances with cast mate forged expand more so you will have more chance of damage piston slap  when the engine is cold 

even if the owner is sensible and warms the engine before giving it any hammer i’d still choose cast my self mate but sometimes all you can get is forged just warm them up is all you can do

Our right mate 👍🏽I’ll have to wait an see any how I haven’t even opened the engine up yet I don’t know if it’s buggered the cylinder up or not but the colour of the plug it wouldn’t of been long before melt down happened 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, poxon said:

Our right mate 👍🏽I’ll have to wait an see any how I haven’t even opened the engine up yet I don’t know if it’s buggered the cylinder up or not but the colour of the plug it wouldn’t of been long before melt down happened 

the kawasaki stuff is normally easy to get

old ktm i’ve just had to buy a second hand bottom end for a roller bearing can’t get it i  just hope it’s ok when a split the cases lol piston had to be forged no sells a cast 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

the kawasaki stuff is normally easy to get

old ktm i’ve just had to buy a second hand bottom end for a roller bearing can’t get it i  just hope it’s ok when a split the cases lol piston had to be forged no sells a cast 

Getting harder to get bits for the o3 kx but plenty of pattern parts about 

bloody he’ll bet the bottom end wasn’t cheap I tryed buying a f****d 03 bottom end the guy wanted £700 for it the thing is with these mx bikes there worth more in bits loads of people are buying up cheap bikes to brake up for parts 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, poxon said:

Getting harder to get bits for the o3 kx but plenty of pattern parts about 

bloody he’ll bet the bottom end wasn’t cheap I tryed buying a f****d 03 bottom end the guy wanted £700 for it the thing is with these mx bikes there worth more in bits loads of people are buying up cheap bikes to brake up for parts 

ye mate it can be hard work getting parts 

the bottom end wasn’t  bad i was lucky 60723E16-735E-407A-BCCA-645AC2DFC84E.png.2e3c83eb1fcb536370ff7391280dd955.png60quid crank would need rebuilding but if the bearings good it’s served it’s purpose 

• Like 2

ye mate it can be hard work getting parts 

the bottom end wasn’t  bad i was lucky 60723E16-735E-407A-BCCA-645AC2DFC84E.png.2e3c83eb1fcb536370ff7391280dd955.png60quid crank would need rebuilding but if the bearings good it’s served it’s purpose 

That’s cheap mate good find for £60  you’d make that back selling the cases an gearbox separately out of that 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, poxon said:

That’s cheap mate good find for £60  you’d make that back selling the cases an gearbox separately out of that 

hopefully get the engine together this week if i get an hour i’ll bang a few pics up

• Like 1