Wirehair pointer 1st cross

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

They are both HPR no different they point that’s what it says on the tin I’ve got Gwp Lurcher mix but I know somebody who as a few GSP and I’d never rule them out as vermin dogs definitely not atb

There are lots of breeds of HPR's and they are all very different, they were all derived from different breeds/types. How is your current GWP cross? Has it had any funny turns regarding it's heart?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone wanting to do this cross I have two working GWP dogs here welcome to use on greyhound foc. Possibly have a pup or two back.  

always planned on putting him over a greyhound, I got a bitch but she never broke down. But over the years I had some fun with him from hunting cover to working round a hole, absolute powerhouse of a

Absolute rubbish I've known a lot of GWP's and crosses and not heard of any having these problems. If you have seen the drive and stamina these dogs possess you'd know that with heart problems they wo

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

There are lots of breeds of HPR's and they are all very different, they were all derived from different breeds/types. How is your current GWP cross? Has it had any funny turns regarding it's heart?

I lost one  2 year ago so bred a litter off diffrent lines and the pup I give to a mate died in jan this year on the mountain same thing blood from nose and mouth 

Just now, Coconut said:

I lost one  2 year ago so bred a litter off diffrent lines and the pup I give to a mate died in jan this year on the mountain same thing blood from nose and mouth 

It's strange I know a few lads running them and all have been fine. No problems at all.

Well these are all diffrent lines of Gwp and too a mixed bred lurchers as said a pointer hunts slow the plod along a Lurcher hunts faster when crossed if it follows the pointers heart it will give up atb

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Well these are all diffrent lines of Gwp and too a mixed bred lurchers as said a pointer hunts slow the plod along a Lurcher hunts faster when crossed if it follows the pointers heart it will give up atb

I can't say that I follow this to be fair, my GWP's hunt faster than my lurcher until the lurcher is running it's quarry. Then obviously the lurcher is faster!

• Like 2

Are the HPR types already more akin to a lurcher than the "conventional" gundog breeds? Types of dogs developed to perform more than one task in countries with a different culture to the British Isles when "our" breeds were developed by those who shot over dogs lived in a world where you would have spaniels to find and flush, pointers/setters for the moors, and retrievers to retrieve? 

1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

The nose can only go as fast as his legs,lol

Lol well the experience I’ve had and heard about GWP and crosses they have heart defects I’ve 3 here at the moment and doing ok but the dog I’ve here his full brother died this year so fingers crossed mine will be fine atb

6 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Lol well the experience I’ve had and heard about GWP and crosses they have heart defects I’ve 3 here at the moment and doing ok but the dog I’ve here his full brother died this year so fingers crossed mine will be fine atb

No disrespect to you, mate, but you aint making too much sense. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Coconut said:

Apologies for going off topic: did you ever find out, conclusively, what caused the blood from nose and mouth?

The reason I ask is because the same happened to my second kelpie. It was literally dripping from her nose and around the gums. Never seen anything like it before. We (the vets and I) never found out what it was. The only thing I could think of was that she may have been previously bitten by an adder. (Went into a patch of brambles where I saw an adder a couple of days later and a mile later I had to carry her home as she went all drowsy and kept falling asleep standing up.)

GSP/Greyhound crosses are quite popular in the sprint and dryland disciplines of sleddog racing, and I would not be aware of massive heart problems with these dogs/crosses and they would definitely crop up there.

Edited by MagyarAgar
22 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

GSP/Greyhound crosses are quite popular in the sprint and dryland disciplines of sleddog racing, and I would not be aware of massive heart problems with these dogs/crosses and they would definitely crop up there.

Spot on GSP not GWP yes very good dogs for speed and stamina as the lads said diffrent breed altogether GWP are plodders not many will catch fox or rabbit a GSP will atb

48 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Spot on GSP not GWP yes very good dogs for speed and stamina as the lads said diffrent breed altogether GWP are plodders not many will catch fox or rabbit a GSP will atb

GWPs also come in lighter and heavier set lines, and a decent one will catch and dispatch fox quite efficiently. Maybe the GWPs in the UK are different than the ones here in Germany. 🤷

GWPs on average are said to be hardier and sharper.

Edited by MagyarAgar