Car auctions….

Thinking of buying a berlingo, for a bit of a weekend run around/camper for me and the youth/dog bus/fishing bus. Question is are the auctions and ex fleet vehicles a happy hunting ground? Are they any cheaper than buying one private/from a garage?

Has anyone had any experience with them? What’s the dos and don’t? Are they worth bothering with? 

Cheers!

• Like 1

I’ve bought from auction for a long time now, mainly to sell on, I normally buy salvage now because at least you know it’s fu*ked, you need to know what you are looking at and go and have a look, there’s still some good buys to be had on the ex fleet stuff but give them a good look over because where I used to work we’d take a fleet back in, make good motors by robbing bits off one to fix another then send the sh*te to auction 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3

Buyers fees, indemnity fee, vat all on top of hammer price normally . I not bought at a auction for years but they always say the fleet motors always get serviced right but on the other hand they are normally thrashed to death as the drivers don’t own them.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, kanny said:

Stay clear of ex emergency services motors,  they have spent their lives idling outside  Greg's. 

A bit like mchull then.....

• Haha 5

It used to be common way for lads I grew up with of buying cheap knackered cars, give them a clean and do enough make sure they start before selling on to some poor naive soul for a quick profit. Sometimes back fired (no pun intended) as coppers would park outside and pull a likely looking suspect for a car insurance check in days before temporary insurance could be arranged quickly over a mobile phone or online. Seen some nice paint jobs using a brush and a tin of gloss 😂

Not worth a wank since they went online people just bidding on a photo has ruined it, used to buy loads of motors in the ring and had some real good deals last few I went to ended up leaving empty handed and shocked at what people were willing to chuck on something they had never heard run better off buying private and just keep makin cheeky low offers until someone takes it that’s how I go nowadays bag of cash and offers of half the asking price, someone will always take it if your persistent but be prepared to get told to f**k off a few times 

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

Not worth a wank since they went online people just bidding on a photo has ruined it, used to buy loads of motors in the ring and had some real good deals last few I went to ended up leaving empty handed and shocked at what people were willing to chuck on something they had never heard run better off buying private and just keep makin cheeky low offers until someone takes it that’s how I go nowadays bag of cash and offers of half the asking price, someone will always take it if your persistent but be prepared to get told to f**k off a few times 

Think this is more likely the route I’ll go down! 

A mate of mine buys from auction, he tends to buy non runners ex police stuff think you got to have a grand down to bid. I nearly bought off there but got outbid as he gave me a limit as it was a box standard motor and they'd put it back in civvy state badly with sealant lol. They also put vehicles through with major engine problems after they've squashed the front with a digger bucket and call it accident damaged. So there are pitfalls. My Oldman always used to buy at auction his mate had a card as he was always buying motors, they had a Skoda go through and the auctioneer asked surely someone has some chickens they could keep in it, it went for £25 , probably late eighties. My second car I finished a night shift and the Oldman took me to an auction, my car never came up until 3pm I was shivering from sleep deprivation lol. A vauxhall cavalier LS maybe . Done me well for years. These days I buy private, currently got an XC90 with a few faults , knocked seller down hard , it's a gas guzzling beast but I do like it lol, goes off-road get all my welding kit in it and seats 7 when needed and it's auto .