Consistently low numbers of rabbits this year

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm quite fortunate got a couple nice pieces of land that hold good numbers of rabbit, and I only take them with lurchers and ferrets and never feel the need for to play the numbers game

No never, no when your getting specimens like this

One thing rabbits just cannot handle, is the wet AND the cold,...combined...... They can take one or the other,...but continuous soaking, day in, day out,...never being able to get dry and warm,.

Posted Images

On 04/01/2024 at 00:22, keepdiggin said:

A dog can kill loads more rabbits in one sitting then a cat surely?

Of course and cats usually just kill one to eat but mine would come home with one from spots you would never see a rabbit or think of trying. if you have a lot of feral cats in an area they just keep hammering the population.

• Like 1
On 04/01/2024 at 02:05, Black neck said:

It's best not 2 work your best ferreting cat wi your dog ,can cause problems 

Don't laugh, one of my cats would follow me and the dogs around a km from the house when ferreting the few close warrens I could get at. The dogs were ok with her. She would just sit and watch. If I picked up the rifle or bow she would always follow along, just me and Durbin the cat, most loyal pussy out there, 😻.

On 04/01/2024 at 02:14, Borr said:

YouTube rabbit hole, saw something in Australia about myxi , vhd and now they're using a Korean bio weapon called k5 ? Anyone heard of it? Apparently all these diseases still maintain about 300 million bunnies in Australia....

I haven't heard of it but I don't doubt it. A lot of great rabbit spots here in NSW are devoid of rabbits now, very large areas, even post codes. Whether these get repopulated who knows but if any animal can do it it's rabbits. I don't do much hunting anymore but it's sad for the young hunters.

19 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I haven't heard of it but I don't doubt it. A lot of great rabbit spots here in NSW are devoid of rabbits now, very large areas, even post codes. Whether these get repopulated who knows but if any animal can do it it's rabbits. I don't do much hunting anymore but it's sad for the young hunters.

we know that mate you retired and got a whippet for company lol

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Don't laugh, one of my cats would follow me and the dogs around a km from the house when ferreting the few close warrens I could get at. The dogs were ok with her. She would just sit and watch. If I picked up the rifle or bow she would always follow along, just me and Durbin the cat, most loyal pussy out there, 😻.

My hunting cats would often tolerate a dog tagging along

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mC HULL said:

we know that mate you retired and got a whippet for company lol

I have mostly retired from hunting now after my old whippet Shady died, just lost the urge to hunt, plus I'm fckn old but yeah I still have a whippet which mostly lays on the couch and just mooches on walks. That's where they have it over the slugs, they are loyal and I don't have call to Scotland Yard to file a missing feathered asshole report every time she goes for a run. 😊

• Haha 4