Straight lines by Sarah

29 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Rabbits can straight line dogs they just disappear into cover not the distance.

That actually happened to my dog today while looking for there cousins 

He was just about to set up a strike before it disappeared down its burrow the look on his face he felt cheated lol

Good little rabbit that was like a little rocket there's rabbits n there's rabbits n like you say some can make many a dog look silly.

• Like 3

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who says they have not had or seen a dog straight lined, has not got the experience to voice an opinion worth listening to.

If you listen to half the people out there they've never blanked in there life always got dogs that are world beaters and everybody else's dogs are inferior

The dreaded words I hate to hear from anyone who is out with me " its dead this " well it might of been until you jinxed it!!!!!

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, dodger said:

That actually happened to my dog today while looking for there cousins 

He was just about to set up a strike before it disappeared down its burrow the look on his face he felt cheated lol

Good little rabbit that was like a little rocket there's rabbits n there's rabbits n like you say some can make many a dog look silly.

Around here its all small pasture fields 1 to 3 acres on average, Mini golf courses i call them,  The rabbits are quick and i mean quick. A bloke and his lad came up from the south Wales area with a bitch that was doing good, apparently. No disrespect to the bloke and his lad but the rabbits here just made it look far less than good, but its as they say, Horses for courses, You breed to the land you run. 

10 minutes ago, paulus said:

Around here its all small pasture fields 1 to 3 acres on average, Mini golf courses i call them,  The rabbits are quick and i mean quick. A bloke and his lad came up from the south Wales area with a bitch that was doing good, apparently. No disrespect to the bloke and his lad but the rabbits here just made it look far less than good, but its as they say, Horses for courses, You breed to the land you run. 

Small fields n good fast rabbits then Paul no numbers being taken round those parts I guess.

Like you say ground also plays a part and wise words about trying to run the type of dog to suit were folk mainly go

• Like 2
1 hour ago, joe ox said:

Rabbits can straight line dogs they just disappear into cover not the distance.

I live in the west mids and there's a few places that are noted for years to have fast bunnies there like scud missiles if your dog can bend them then you've got a decent dog part of it is a cricket pitch bordered by farm land its heavily light polluted aswell so all these elements combined mate the bunnies quick as hell

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, dodger said:

Small fields n good fast rabbits then Paul no numbers being taken round those parts I guess.

Like you say ground also plays a part and wise words about trying to run the type of dog to suit were folk mainly go

This is going to sound daft but the best dog for them was a mixture of something that is quick enough to get on them and the determination and courage to throw on a turn and crash cover at the end of a run. Only ever achieved it with one dog. An exceptional night here would be 4 or more rabbits.

3 minutes ago, paulus said:

This is going to sound daft but the best dog for them was a mixture of something that is quick enough to get on them and the determination and courage to throw on a turn and crash cover at the end of a run. Only ever achieved it with one dog. An exceptional night here would be 4 or more rabbits.

Sounds like good sport I bet them 4 be better than 20 in some easier places 

Just now, dodger said:

Sounds like good sport I bet them 4 be better than 20 in some easier places 

I have done the numbers game mate and to be fair, i found it just to easy, I once travelled south to run some Chinese water deer, Jesus h Christ the first ones we spotted were in the middle of a field, the size i could not even guess at. it was huge. And then they stood looking at the dog approaching and not not even moving until it was virtually upon them, Again not for me Lol. 

10 minutes ago, paulus said:

Sounds like 1 of my spots accept it full of munty 

5 minutes ago, Penda said:

Sounds like 1 of my spots accept it full of munty 

i spent years chasing Munty`s around here mate, Loads of rips. tears. punctured eyes and a whole load of heart ache and grief, wouldn't have changed it for the world Lol

11 minutes ago, paulus said:

I have done the numbers game mate and to be fair, i found it just to easy, I once travelled south to run some Chinese water deer, Jesus h Christ the first ones we spotted were in the middle of a field, the size i could not even guess at. it was huge. And then they stood looking at the dog approaching and not not even moving until it was virtually upon them, Again not for me Lol. 

Wouldn't be for me either be better to shoot odd one if no run

Just now, dodger said:

Wouldn't be for me either be better to shoot odd one if no run

We might be old school mate, but its all about the chase not the ultimate outcome, it was the same same when i flew birds of prey, My goal was to get the bird as fit as, or as near to as i could to a wild bird and test it against its quarry. The flight was what it was all about, not really the catch. 

45 minutes ago, paulus said:

We might be old school mate, but its all about the chase not the ultimate outcome, it was the same same when i flew birds of prey, My goal was to get the bird as fit as, or as near to as i could to a wild bird and test it against its quarry. The flight was what it was all about, not really the catch. 

What Bop did you fly paul

Edited by dodger
2 minutes ago, dodger said:

What Bob did you fly paul

All sorts mate but mainly accipiter's, Goss hawks and sparrow Hawks. Although i did try a few few falcons, Peregrine and a pere/saker but for me none could beat the sparrow hawk, Spent 2 seasons trying to take a snipe on the rise, first with a little Musket then with a smallish female, Never did manage it but had fun trying Lol

1 hour ago, dodger said:

Year's ago I turned down pups from heavily bred saluki types with some big names in the breeding simply because I knew they would not have the early pace to put an hare in my pocket before it hit a wood around land on the doorstep reason why i favoured a lurcher to lurcher bred then crossed out to a coursing bred dog though a first cross saluki greyhound i had out of GF luke caught me plenty local.