Boots,Bear & Rose..

On 19/12/2023 at 19:38, FUJI said:

Few boy's and girl's I've bumped into on my adventures above the treeline in recent month's 🦌🦌

PSX_20211105_153148.jpg

PSX_20211105_153409.jpg

PSX_20211105_152000.jpg

PSX_20211105_151209.jpg

Unbelievable pictures pal some scenery. Dogs in immaculate condition too👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was how Bear was every single day for a month after breaking his neck then another pic of him as he is now,I never went to bed for 30 day's,I turned him over every 2 hours to prevent him getting

Here's Boots on one of the many occasions I've worked him until almost his last breath,the dog has no quit in him,Bear & Rose his pups are exactly the same,all these dog's would lay their life on

Hope everyone has had a decent season running their dogs 👍🏻 ..another one comes to an end & that's about it for my old mongrel Boots too,he's let me know the past 4 or 5 trip's out he's had enough

Posted Images

Early start for us today,we were out the door for 4am & done the drive & slog up the mountain for daybreak,it was a cold day on the high tops with a cold brisk wind with the mountain weather forecast stating that taking the wind chill into account temperatures were to be around -12C,we had light rain at times & at other times we had sleet. Unfortunately we didn't put anything to rest today,being honest we probably could have but I seen more than a handful of other's out enjoying the mountains today,I did see 3 big fine 🦌🦌🦌along with a handful of the opposite sex with them but they were no more than 400 yards from a group of 3 hiker's so common sense prevailed. We put some miles in still & old Boots who will be 12 this year really did put a shift in, ranging out & onto the many outcrops that frequent these high tops,his tracking collar information recorded that he done almost 13 miles. Boots is still as keen as ever even at the age of 11,he will always go the extra mile 'literally' to try & find/catch one. I don't think anyone could ever question his work ethic,he's been a fantastic & loyal servant to both I & my lads for over a decade now & I'm certain he's still far from finished yet. It's been a long & hard day,the dog's here in the house are now fast asleep here at my feet & the kennel dog's are jacketed up with the heating on keeping the chill of night off them. We go again in a couple of days time, refuelled & freshened up both the dog's & I and hopefully we will do what we were unable to today..

1704911114218-01.jpeg

1704896514202-01.jpeg

• Like 12

2024,I wonder what it has in store for each & everyone of us? Hopefully more good than bad although to be honest on a personal level I've had a horrendous start to the new year,on new year's day morning whilst out with the dog's my legs gave way & I ended up falling & a week & a half later I'm still black & blue,still the following day I was out with the terriers & put the first one in a place what has seen a 5ft shovel job & two which have been less than 2ft! Within 30 seconds of the dog going in the Bellman & Flint was showing 17ft 8! The dog held steady at that depth so the farmer came in his digger but was unable to get near so the gamekeeper left & went in search of a mini digger,by the time he returned we knew the dog was dead & this was now a retrieval job,under the sod it was like the bottom of a river bed,all sand & stone,every 4 buckets the digger took out 6 more collapsed in,still we persevered all morning,all afternoon until almost dark,when we eventually got to within 4ft of the dog my lad tunneled in with the shovel to try & prevent the bank from collapsing in,even just the vibration from the mini digger caused mini avalanche after mini avalanche. As we knew the danger of this continuously collapsing in the gamekeeper left the digger arm with bucket in the bottom of the hole for my lad to hang onto when tunneling in just in case it all came in again. My lad indicated he was now only 1ft away from our dog when instantly the bank came crashing in covering my lad to his waist in a split second but thankfully the digger pulled him clear,there must of been 10-12 tonne of earth that collapsed from high up the embankment into the hole. It was gut wrenching to of gotten so close to getting the dog out after all the hard work,yes it was only to bury him but no one ever wants to leave one of the team behind be that dead or alive. I guess I should be thankful that my lad never met the same fate as the dog. That day was tough to take,really tough,it's played on my mind ever since & I know my lad was even more depressed about thing's than I,the gamekeeper too. Since that day there's been more trouble & strife here,I'm really hoping that the early bad streak of luck this year jogs on & the remainder of the year is much better. One thing that may of changed thing's happened the past two days,many will know the issues I've faced with Boots & mating bitches,if you don't know well he's useless!! He must of had in the region of 100 bitches to him,the only ones he's mated are two of our own & a bitch of my friends,that's it! He stresses me out honestly but this week he's covered a bitch twice by AI,now some may think what's the big deal but he's been tried numerous times at that too & it has always ended with him getting all stressed & aggravated so this latest saga is a success story to say the least. I travelled to Scotland with him to have it done & the owner of the bitch done 8 hour's driving two consecutive days to get the bitch mated,I hope everything goes to plan for the fella as he's put some serious miles in to try and get a pup. I didn't even go in with Boots as I thought he would just stress me out as is the norm with him in these situations. The way my luck has been going I can't see thing's going to plan without some issue but here's hoping the bad streak has been & gone at least for a while!

1704221989698-01.jpeg

• Like 13

Thanks for the likes & such,I really appreciate it. When the s**t hit's the fan in life,you've gotta say f**k it & just go again..never surrender & never give in!! Catch ya's the next day.. thankyou 

IMG_4010-01.jpeg

• Like 4
10 hours ago, FUJI said:

2024,I wonder what it has in store for each & everyone of us? Hopefully more good than bad although to be honest on a personal level I've had a horrendous start to the new year,on new year's day morning whilst out with the dog's my legs gave way & I ended up falling & a week & a half later I'm still black & blue,still the following day I was out with the terriers & put the first one in a place what has seen a 5ft shovel job & two which have been less than 2ft! Within 30 seconds of the dog going in the Bellman & Flint was showing 17ft 8! The dog held steady at that depth so the farmer came in his digger but was unable to get near so the gamekeeper left & went in search of a mini digger,by the time he returned we knew the dog was dead & this was now a retrieval job,under the sod it was like the bottom of a river bed,all sand & stone,every 4 buckets the digger took out 6 more collapsed in,still we persevered all morning,all afternoon until almost dark,when we eventually got to within 4ft of the dog my lad tunneled in with the shovel to try & prevent the bank from collapsing in,even just the vibration from the mini digger caused mini avalanche after mini avalanche. As we knew the danger of this continuously collapsing in the gamekeeper left the digger arm with bucket in the bottom of the hole for my lad to hang onto when tunneling in just in case it all came in again. My lad indicated he was now only 1ft away from our dog when instantly the bank came crashing in covering my lad to his waist in a split second but thankfully the digger pulled him clear,there must of been 10-12 tonne of earth that collapsed from high up the embankment into the hole. It was gut wrenching to of gotten so close to getting the dog out after all the hard work,yes it was only to bury him but no one ever wants to leave one of the team behind be that dead or alive. I guess I should be thankful that my lad never met the same fate as the dog. That day was tough to take,really tough,it's played on my mind ever since & I know my lad was even more depressed about thing's than I,the gamekeeper too. Since that day there's been more trouble & strife here,I'm really hoping that the early bad streak of luck this year jogs on & the remainder of the year is much better. One thing that may of changed thing's happened the past two days,many will know the issues I've faced with Boots & mating bitches,if you don't know well he's useless!! He must of had in the region of 100 bitches to him,the only ones he's mated are two of our own & a bitch of my friends,that's it! He stresses me out honestly but this week he's covered a bitch twice by AI,now some may think what's the big deal but he's been tried numerous times at that too & it has always ended with him getting all stressed & aggravated so this latest saga is a success story to say the least. I travelled to Scotland with him to have it done & the owner of the bitch done 8 hour's driving two consecutive days to get the bitch mated,I hope everything goes to plan for the fella as he's put some serious miles in to try and get a pup. I didn't even go in with Boots as I thought he would just stress me out as is the norm with him in these situations. The way my luck has been going I can't see thing's going to plan without some issue but here's hoping the bad streak has been & gone at least for a while!

1704221989698-01.jpeg

Shame when we lose our dogs even worse when it's a decent 1 I've lost a fair few in my time as I dare say alot of lads and ladies have on here and in the working dog world but it is what it is if we thought about it too much we'd either throw our selves out the window or we'd never work dogs again. I lost a bitch last year though a freak accident worst bit was I'd not long had her when it happened and I'd had her off my mate cause he said il only give her to you cause you'll look after her then that happened I couldn't believe it all the best any way 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Penda said:

Shame when we lose our dogs even worse when it's a decent 1 I've lost a fair few in my time as I dare say alot of lads and ladies have on here and in the working dog world but it is what it is if we thought about it too much we'd either throw our selves out the window or we'd never work dogs again. I lost a bitch last year though a freak accident worst bit was I'd not long had her when it happened and I'd had her off my mate cause he said il only give her to you cause you'll look after her then that happened I couldn't believe it all the best any way 

I hear you loud & clear matey,I know you've been on here a long while & have kept working dog's even longer & like you say if you do a bit quite regularly over a period of time it's unfortunate but it's quite likely at some point something untoward is going to happen to one of the team. It certainly does knock the wind out of one's sail so to speak but as you rightly say you've got two options they being quit or get straight back on your horse & you go again. In our case my lads already been back out with the little dog's & had a great day & I've been back out with the big dogs,I won't say I'm not sick as a parrot still as I really did like this wee dog but again as you say it is what it is,the moment we release them off their leashes be it the terriers or the lurchers it could quite easily be the last time..sorry to hear of your loss too buddy,sure does test you that's for sure. All the best to you too Penda..

Kaiser ... R.I.P

1700905234523-01.jpeg

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, FUJI said:

I hear you loud & clear matey,I know you've been on here a long while & have kept working dog's even longer & like you say if you do a bit quite regularly over a period of time it's unfortunate but it's quite likely at some point something untoward is going to happen to one of the team. It certainly does knock the wind out of one's sail so to speak but as you rightly say you've got two options they being quit or get straight back on your horse & you go again. In our case my lads already been back out with the little dog's & had a great day & I've been back out with the big dogs,I won't say I'm not sick as a parrot still as I really did like this wee dog but again as you say it is what it is,the moment we release them off their leashes be it the terriers or the lurchers it could quite easily be the last time..sorry to hear of your loss too buddy,sure does test you that's for sure. All the best to you too Penda..

Kaiser ... R.I.P

1700905234523-01.jpeg

Nice looking dog I stopped the digging couple of seasons back as where I tend to go after the old vulpines is abit ropey and in this day and age every body possess a camera phone and you know the rest Shame like I had a decent bitch called mink do miss my frosty mornings with her checking earths,I've got the spaniels now less hassle for me and where I go there's alot of munty for them to knock up so it's win win some times anyway 😀 

• Like 1

Sad tale FUJI😕 and that is why I never took to the Terrier job,...it really can be 'life and death'....

I've hunted with some well known names, and seen some cracking dirt dawgs,...but I've never been tempted to take a pup.

ALL Hunting can be dangerous,..and heartbreaking, but it's something that every genuine hunting man has to come to terms with,..OR,..get out of the fecking game....

I've had a lifetime of stress, excitement, sadness and joy....

Back in the day,...my mind set was different,.. and my passion for the chase override the sorrow.

Now,..I see things slightly different,....I've made my choice.....😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6
17 hours ago, FUJI said:

1704221989698-01.jpeg

Fingers crossed she takes for you and the bitches owner. Will you keep a pup to keep his blood going? Have you thought about getting straws from him?

Sorry to hear about the little dog but FairPlay for trying to get to him, your lads had a lucky escape by the sound of it, I bet you all wanted to carry on trying to get to him but wise not too at risk of even greater loss in those circumstances 

Cheers

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

Sad tale FUJI😕 and that is why I never took to the Terrier job,...it really can be 'life and death'....

I've hunted with some well known names, and seen some cracking dirt dawgs,...but I've never been tempted to take a pup.

ALL Hunting can be dangerous,..and heartbreaking, but it's something that every genuine hunting man has to come to terms with,..OR,..get out of the fecking game....

I've had a lifetime of stress, excitement, sadness and joy....

Back in the day,...my mind set was different,.. and my passion for the chase override the sorrow.

Now,..I see things slightly different,....I've made my choice.....😉

File0204.jpg

We're the sweeny son and we haven't had any dinner

Unfortunately thats the Digging game for you....lots of lads,fancy the idea and  start at it....and its too much like hard work for most..well done to you all , especially your lad, sticking till the end to retrieve the dog.... been in similar circumstances more times than I care to remember ....when that tyke goes to ground,you get down to it, that's the least we owe them little warriors 💯👍1036797868_DSC010752.jpg.402d7ad8ddade8b54934939de00928a6.jpg1195296556_BlackheartsDogs235.jpg.f98d312914b3b7b15be7caeaae505a2c.jpg

• Like 9

Sorry to hear about the passing of passing of one of your dogs never gets easier to loose one especially a gudden n glad your sons ok.

How is your cocker bred do you like it..

What is the bitch like that boots has gone to..

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Unfortunately thats the Digging game for you....lots of lads,fancy the idea and  start at it....and its too much like hard work for most..well done to you all , especially your lad, sticking till the end to retrieve the dog.... been in similar circumstances more times than I care to remember ....when that tyke goes to ground,you get down to it, that's the least we owe them little warriors 💯👍1036797868_DSC010752.jpg.402d7ad8ddade8b54934939de00928a6.jpg1195296556_BlackheartsDogs235.jpg.f98d312914b3b7b15be7caeaae505a2c.jpg

Looks like dedication that Daniel or a living nightmare to some sod that never been for me but fair play

• Like 1

I dont think any type of working dog is as hardy/tough as a dog bred for earth work...theres not an animal alive,wild or domesticated that will travel down into another animals lair and do what a Terrier does.....DSC_5476.JPG.0538ec2ec83f45d684e312018638dba4.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1