5 hours ago, BEARINATOR said:

Sick of taking ice off the pond might bring the fish in for the cold weather to keep them growing on 77DF64C0-9FB3-479C-9766-8B7C946D7FD4.jpeg.339f78de7241c6292cb82495f0eeba3b.jpeg

Mine had nearly emptied itself yesterday morning with the filter outlet frozen up so it overflowed instead. Fish sat in about 5 inch of water at the bottom and a frozen hose so couldn't top it up. 

• Sad 1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I woke Thursday morning to an absolute white out 

The world ends there?Hope not mate,but fear not,I will have breakfast then pop over to check.

I figured it was lambtons,old George Wilson wouldn’t have had that fox there.I remember getting 20 pheasant there in a couple of hours with my Wembley Vulcan one night as a kid,and doing my works expe

Posted Images

1 minute ago, gnipper said:

Mine had nearly emptied itself yesterday morning with the filter outlet frozen up so it overflowed instead. Fish sat in about 5 inch of water at the bottom and a frozen hose so couldn't top it up. 

Depending on how big your pond is , you can get pond heaters . The one I used to use , was like a fish tank heater , only inside a stainless steel tube , and with a polystyrene collar , so that it floated on the surface of the pond , and keeps the water just above freezing  .  

My pond isn't that big ,10' x 10' , so a bigger pond might be much harder to stop freezing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gnipper said:

Mine is only a converted ibc tank so not worth the expense of heating.

That just made me think about one of the farms that I shoot on . All of the cattle drinkers around the fields had goldfish in them.

• Like 1

Mine started as a water butt for the shed but had mozzy larvae in so put a couple of goldfish in it to sort them out and from there progressed to the ibc with a home made filter. The fish are happy enough and they get fresh water from the gutters every time it rains.

• Like 3
Just now, gnipper said:

Mine started as a water butt for the shed but had mozzy larvae in so put a couple of goldfish in it to sort them out and from there progressed to the ibc with a home made filter. The fish are happy enough and they get fresh water from the gutters every time it rains.

Any pictures mate like the sound of that 

5 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I like the sound of that as well . I wonder if trout could be grown on in a set up like that 🤔

12 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

Any pictures mate like the sound of that 

It's nowt fancy but does the job

Screenshot_20231203_204343_Gallery.jpg

The water butt to the left is full of filter media and I have a little fountain pump going into it from the pond and overflows back into the pond.

Edited by gnipper
  • Like 6
2 minutes ago, gnipper said:

They probably could, I think I've seen videos on YouTube of people growing trout in an ibc hydroponics system along with tilapia.

I could set up something like that in my woodland,  with water running in from the shed roof. I'd always have fresh trout for the bbq 😋 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gnipper said:

They probably could, I think I've seen videos on YouTube of people growing trout in an ibc hydroponics system along with tilapia.

Used to be known as guppy-phonics.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mel b said:

I could set up something like that in my woodland,  with water running in from the shed roof. I'd always have fresh trout for the bbq 😋 

If you could find a good way of joining them together I would imagine the fish would grow faster with more space.

• Like 1

My mates father has built an above ground carp pond about 15ft long and 8ft wide he leaves a cheap thin plastic football ontop in winter that blows around and prevents ice building on the surface quite a clever idea I thought..