Using rat Poison around kennels

2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

I've never had a problem wi it could be luck tho.

What with poison you mean? Fair enough then like I say I know nothing about it just that iv heard of a few dogs go down very quickly recently n had to be pts what had internal bleeding n came on over a few days he choose not to do bloodtests I asked do you use rat poison around the farm he said yes we get a pest controller in n he puts it down but never give it a thought it could've been that?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Little place by me...the horse girls had been  using Half poison/half layers pellets in those tubs,they were in and out all day long...had 30 odd with the 2 terriers and my lurcher bitch first morni

Used 2 have them for feeders wi the spirals underneath, badgers used to stretch the spirals and deer would knock um over but the only thing that actually got in as such was pox ridden squirrels they a

I had chickens ,since I got rid had no.more rats ,like dc said you have keep it clean but sometimes it's some scruffy neighbour that breeds the rats and they just go in everyone else's gardens ,my nei

2 hours ago, dodger said:

It's surprising how many stables and farms use poison while having dogs around the place and this from getting pest control people in  I don't think it's worth it?

A Little place by me...the horse girls had been  using Half poison/half layers pellets in those tubs,they were in and out all day long...had 30 odd with the 2 terriers and my lurcher bitch first morning lifting rubbish around the yard,then 2 of us shot 78 same night with air rifles...was doing 2/3 days/ nights a week there shooting them for 2 months before we made a difference and you didnt see them in the daytime...you want to f**k them off,then you cut off their food sources,sort your house keeping out,a scruffy yard with shit laying about attracts them...until you do that, poison is useless imo...its an on going battle😉👍

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

A Little place by me...the horse girls had been  using Half poison/half layers pellets in those tubs,they were in and out all day long...had 30 odd with the 2 terriers and my lurcher bitch first morning lifting rubbish around the yard,then 2 of us shot 78 same night with air rifles...was doing 2/3 days/ nights a week there shooting them for 2 months before we made a difference and you didnt see them in the daytime...you want to f**k them off,then you cut off their food sources,sort your house keeping out,a scruffy yard with shit laying about attracts them...until you do that, poison is useless imo...its an on going battle😉👍

I made the mistake of taking a rat job on at a Muslim school years ago, 4kg of poison a day! after 6 weeks they had to close the school so they could clear all the dead rats from under the floor boards and in the walls, The smell was terrible, Again caused by laziness and piss poor rubbish control.  

40 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

They have chickens at some of the stables I know I think your always going to get rats when you have chickens arnt you due to the food?

25 minutes ago, dodger said:

They have chickens at some of the stables I know I think your always going to get rats when you have chickens arnt you due to the food?

I had chickens ,since I got rid had no.more rats ,like dc said you have keep it clean but sometimes it's some scruffy neighbour that breeds the rats and they just go in everyone else's gardens ,my neighbours got them in there kitchen roof ,I was very popular 

• Haha 2

I had this problem and one of my dogs died of lepto as a result, another got very sick and just about pulled through with a lot of care. My dogs are vaccinated and I was bleaching the yard every day but it wasn't enough. It was this time of year that that happened, whether that's relevant I don't know.

I put poison down, using heavy slabs on bricks as a "bait box" and also cut a little rat door into a locked shed and put a lot in there..it worked, and the few rats that wandered into the yard the dogs killed but didn't eat.

To the guy who said "shoot them with night vision", I shot dozens and it didn't make a dent in their numbers.

Look up non warfarin based poisons, they are safer and more humane. 

Edited by WhiteSalukiBitch
  • Like 1

I know most do anyway but always if you feed dry to keep it in an air tight container and a lad was telling me that he lost a couple of pups once due to rats had got into the food n must have pissed on it n was only odd one about aswell all I can think is if he left the dry out for the pups for a while, that's the good thing about meat really as not only better but they normally eat it alot more eagerly as opposed to dry.

5 minutes ago, dodger said:

I know most do anyway but always if you feed dry to keep it in an air tight container and a lad was telling me that he lost a couple of pups once due to rats had got into the food n must have pissed on it n was only odd one about aswell all I can think is if he left the dry out for the pups for a while, that's the good thing about meat really as not only better but they normally eat it alot more eagerly as opposed to dry.

best not leaving food about and been clean as you can likes been said attracts the c**ts i have dry about i use clamp lid blue tub like you say nowt get in 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

best not leaving food about and been clean as you can likes been said attracts the c**ts i have dry about i use clamp lid blue tub like you say nowt get in 

Used 2 have them for feeders wi the spirals underneath, badgers used to stretch the spirals and deer would knock um over but the only thing that actually got in as such was pox ridden squirrels they ate into them the cs

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I use them blue mango tubs with the red lids that the Indian restaurants use

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

There's a lot to be said for mango chutney, incidentally Terry of Fife made mention of the hired help pishing in the fruit punnets to maximise weight on price work

Me grandad used 2 pick fruit but he reckoned when u were on day work they used to weigh u before started then after 2 see how much fruit u been eating and doc your money accordingly, but he reckoned get round it by abstaining all day then having a good Tom tit before the final weigh in

1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Me grandad used 2 pick fruit but he reckoned when u were on day work they used to weigh u before started then after 2 see how much fruit u been eating and doc your money accordingly, but he reckoned get round it by abstaining all day then having a good Tom tit before the final weigh in

You're a raconteur of note