Attention...any plumbers

Annoying problem with my toilet.

It flushes fine and refills Ok but every now and then it decides to make a flushing noise and refill a small amount of water.

Everything looks fine to me , anybody any ideas?

On the below pic I have marked where water slowly seeps through . I have wedged a piece of cardboard at the edge of the ring just to see if this works.

Any advice as its pi$$ing me off 

20231109_123845.jpg

I had something similar with the flushing and filling up. Turned out to be the seal between the cistern and the bowl had degraded so was letting water through slowly into the bowl to the point it would need to fill up again.

• Like 1

Cost you around £20/30 to replace the whole unit,turn off the water and remove the old one... match it up at the merchants etc ,you wont need to pay a plumber, piece of piss to do👍

WWW.WICKES.CO.UK

Need a toilet cistern? Get trade quality cisterns and cistern parts at low prices. Quality assured since 1972. Visit our...

Parts list In above link.

• Like 6

Be best to just change the ball valve although it may be the siphon letting by very slowly. Can you see water running down the inside of the toilet? If it’s trickling water through then it will need to replace the water it’s lost causing the ball valve to open. Ball valve is easy on those concealed cisterns the siphon a little harder but still not to bad. 

35 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Be best to just change the ball valve although it may be the siphon letting by very slowly. Can you see water running down the inside of the toilet? If it’s trickling water through then it will need to replace the water it’s lost causing the ball valve to open. Ball valve is easy on those concealed cisterns the siphon a little harder but still not to bad. 

No water running down inside of toilet.

Looks like a new ball valve then , flush was replaced a couple of years ago 👍

39 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

It's false ecomomy to just change one part. You can bet your life another part will fail within weeks.

Best to change the flometer, ball valve and donut all in one go when the water is off and the cistern is in bits.

The parts are so cheap it makes sense .

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

It's false ecomomy to just change one part. You can bet your life another part will fail within weeks.

Best to change the flometer, ball valve and donut all in one go when the water is off and the cistern is in bits.

Cheers.

Words of wisdom them Charts👍

Could change the whole cistern,to an all singing and dancing for 50/60 notes...piece of mind... A new toilet and sink basin only £100 if you shop around 👍

• Like 2
23 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Annoying problem with my toilet.

It flushes fine and refills Ok but every now and then it decides to make a flushing noise and refill a small amount of water.

Everything looks fine to me , anybody any ideas?

On the below pic I have marked where water slowly seeps through . I have wedged a piece of cardboard at the edge of the ring just to see if this works.

Any advice as its pi$$ing me off 

20231109_123845.jpg

It’s just an O ring gone in that big gnurled screw on bit, new O ring or a bit of silicon on the thread see you right if you don’t fancy changing out the siphon 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

That toilet doesn’t even have a donut mate. As a plumber of 25 years I generally agree with you but in this occasion changing the ball valve is easy the rest not so much it’s a concealed cistern in a boxing so potentially you have quite the job changing the siphon depending on the set up of the toilet. 

21 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

No water running down inside of toilet.

Looks like a new ball valve then , flush was replaced a couple of years ago 👍

If the siphon (flush) is newish then just change the ball valve and see if that cures it. As said if reply above the rest is potentially quite complicated so start there. 

8 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

That toilet doesn’t even have a donut mate. As a plumber of 25 years I generally agree with you but in this occasion changing the ball valve is easy the rest not so much it’s a concealed cistern in a boxing so potentially you have quite the job changing the siphon depending on the set up of the toilet. 

I was speaking generally, I couldn’t tell what type of cistern that was. 
I look at it a bit like brakes  or track rod ends on a car, I wouldn’t just change one side, I’d do both while I had the tools out and the car on jacks. Same with a cistern, it would only take minutes more to change all the components while you were at it, and the extra cost is negligible and you’ve got peace of mind that one of the other components isn’t going to fail in the near future, but I bow to your experience.

Cheers.