Can anyone recommend a decent dry food ?

I'm planning a bit of a lifestyle change living life on a boat.

I hope to have a good lamping dog by the time we are afloat. So I figure during the winter months at least to have a few rabbits for us and dog.

During the spring summer months I  guess it's going to have to be a dry complete food which I really dont like tbo.

But don't see an alternative any recommends 

Thanks 

We are using James Wellbeloved Lamb and Rice (Grain Free) and mixing it with Lidl Chicken Portions.. 

Back in the day I expected a 'made dog' to be capabul of feeding itself,..plus earn for me,..and we fed surplus 'bits' from anything that was grassed..

But today,..we just buy from the local Pet Shop.....

How the mighty have fallen, eh...🙄

Edited by OldPhil
  • Thanks 1

Although this is the correct section you'd of been better off putting it in the running dog section I think as more would see it..

I currently use arkwrights mixed with abit of meat and a few additives I do usuly prefer home made food but with having 6 dogs dry as the bulk of there diet just makes things so much more convenient right now..

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, dodger said:

Although this is the correct section you'd of been better off putting it in the running dog section I think as more would see it..

I currently use arkwrights mixed with abit of meat and a few additives I do usuly prefer home made food but with having 6 dogs dry as the bulk of there diet just makes things so much more convenient right now..

What do you think about the different rates of digestion that raw and biscuits take when mixed together I guess some meat is better than none. I'm only planning on one mouth to feed.

I am going to be moving to a narrow boat in not too distant future so freezer space will be minimal a few chicken wings max,

I saw that skinners are doing a wet meat foil pack a quid a go, but hey I've only the one mouth to feed just need something that doesn't need freezing but at the same time be decent. Not a yard full of cow Pat's.😅

Sounds like your loving the dream imagine all the places you'll be able able to work your dog up n down the miles of canal and nobody be any the wiser lol

As for feeding id have a sack of dry on the boat handy but if its just the one dog I'd be going down the route of home made it won't cost you much at all hand full of rice bit of bread bit of veg bit of meat squirt of salmon oil odd egg your leftovers etc..

• Like 2

Salmon oil the same thinking as cod liver oil , good for coat and joints etc ?

Yeah going back to my roots lol

I have around 3 years when my youngest moves off to university or comes with.

Will get boat first moor it local and kit it out and get a hybrid whippet pup trained on the lamp to a mint standard.

Happy days 

Same here too arkwrights for me for last few dogs its good value and they seem to look well on. I have found it a bit dusty of late and I dropped them an email and got a free bag. They also looked into it and found no issues so seem tidy people that make it. Every batch they make they keep samples to refer too if needed. I mix with few other bits. Tin sardine and spoon of tinned just to keep it interesting.

Old boy looked ok on it

grub.jpg.130f7c4f2bb3b1335827df6f164deb68.jpg

Seems to agree with the new girl too

das.jpeg.e37b197e49424dd3935d9f33fa6b96b7.jpeg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Eukanuba, always mixed with something, meat,game,tin of fish, leftovers etc 

I read too much and over complicate things my trouble Gilbey, but yeah a good quality dry food. With cooked meat rather than raw should go through the gut evenly 

5 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Boarding kennels by me sell that eukanuba biscuits in a 25kg plain white sack for around £26 a bag..my uncle been feeding his Mastiffs and spaniels on it for yrs👍

That's good value mate I remember when that first came out thought it was well expensive back then.

47 minutes ago, Chaff said:

I read too much and over complicate things my trouble Gilbey, but yeah a good quality dry food. With cooked meat rather than raw should go through the gut evenly 

Mine get raw and cooked meat/game. Don't know what's right but people have been mixing meat and biscuits for years no bother. Also see dogs living years on nothing but cheap complete, so it can't be death in a bag like people say🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Mine get raw and cooked meat/game. Don't know what's right but people have been mixing meat and biscuits for years no bother. Also see dogs living years on nothing but cheap complete, so it can't be death in a bag like people say🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess as long as what's coming out back of them is of good consistency then no worries.

Just want the best for pup going forward 👍

• Like 1