Ingredients: Cereals, meat & animal derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin (4.0% sugar beet pulp, 0.15% FOS), oils & fats, vegetable protein extracts, minerals, seeds (linseed), solanum glaucophyllum leaves dried (Panbonis) (100mg/kg), products from the processing of plants.

Analytical Constituents: Crude Protein 28% Crude Oils & Fats 13% Crude Fibre 2.5% Crude Ash 7% Phosphorus 1.1% Omega-3 Fats 0.4% Omega-6 Fats 3% Calcium 1.5% Additives (per kg)

As said very basic ingredients but somehow alot of dogs apparently do well off the stuff..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dodger said:

Gain or time as its now known still seems to be the go to kibble for a lot of lads doesn't it, the ingredients look very basic but it has always remained a popular kibble?

I once used a bag of gain 90 and I thought it changed dogs behaviour?

Too much protein maybe ? unless it was a phase the dog was going through and just coincided with change of feed I really dont know.

I definitely noticed when I switched to raw minced green beef tripe and minced chicken was a big change in both behaviour and fitness. 

I have spoken to someone who lives aboard and they manage with a small freezer and buy a pack of mince and bit of chicken as and when they can, but they rely on dry as a bulk of dogs diet.

The baking at such high temperatures is always going to reduce the nutritional value of dry foods but for me the closest thing to feeding a raw diet in a dry food is the Orijen range i did a bit of research into it saw a few demos of how its made etc if i had to feed a dry feed on a permanent basis id feed that its a bit expensive but would give me the peace of mind of knowing its a half decent bit of grub....regards the digestion times if you're going to feed both raw and dry id feed them as separate meals with raw as the pm meal and dry am if you work your dog in the evening.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

The baking at such high temperatures is always going to reduce the nutritional value of dry foods but for me the closest thing to feeding a raw diet in a dry food is the Orijen range i did a bit of research into it saw a few demos of how its made etc if i had to feed a dry feed on a permanent basis id feed that its a bit expensive but would give me the peace of mind of knowing its a half decent bit of grub....regards the digestion times if you're going to feed both raw and dry id feed them as separate meals with raw as the pm meal and dry am if you work your dog in the evening.

Just had a look and thanks I hadn't heard of that one Orijen does look high quality dry and tbo £80 for 12 kgs is quite expensive feed but I think that's what you need to pay for something to get close to a raw diet nutritional wise and hey I will only have one small whippet type to feed. 

Shame it's not made in england, I would have thought a chunk of the £80 would be for shipping from Canada.

Why dry before raw though mate, not doubting your knowledge here just interested why.

Thanks for your reply 👍

16 hours ago, Chaff said:

Just had a look and thanks I hadn't heard of that one Orijen does look high quality dry and tbo £80 for 12 kgs is quite expensive feed but I think that's what you need to pay for something to get close to a raw diet nutritional wise and hey I will only have one small whippet type to feed. 

Shame it's not made in england, I would have thought a chunk of the £80 would be for shipping from Canada.

Why dry before raw though mate, not doubting your knowledge here just interested why.

Thanks for your reply 👍

Depends what time you work your dog really mate ....i always think a dog is stronger with food in their stomach so a small am dry feed that will have virtually 12 hours to digest before a pm workout followed by a raw feed,personally i wouldnt feed any dry but if you do both then thats how id do it....only my opinion of course mate....dont forget you dont need to feed a lot of that Orijen i found the shits come out very similar to a raw diet as in the body utilises more of the food so dont need to feed as much = not as expensive as it seems.....also the dog doesnt tend to drink as much as other dry foods like i say its the closest thing to a raw diet in my opinion.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Raw is going to take longer to digest than dry so through the night....i always think a dog is stronger with food in their stomach so a small am dry feed that will be digested in time for a pm workout followed by a raw feed....only my opinion of course mate....dont forget you dont need to feed a lot of that Orijen i found the shits come out very similar to a raw diet as in the body utilises more of the food so dont need to feed as much = not as expensive as it seems.....also the dog doesnt tend to drink as much as other dry foods like i say its the closest thing to a raw diet in my opinion.

I'm sold on that one Gnasher will give it a go cheers

you need to read the ingredients of all these so called "quality/expensive" dog foods,here's an example,67% brown rice,£67 for 12kg

BURNSPET.CO.UK

Introducing our bestselling range. Burns Original is our signature dry dog food range. Naturally delicious...

Edited by paddyluke
  • Thanks 1

Orjen components top dry I would say

Fresh chicken (25%), raw turkey (8%), fresh chicken giblets (liver, heart) (7%), raw whole herring (6%), raw whole hake (5%), fresh eggs (5%), raw turkey liver (5%), dehydrated chicken (4%), dehydrated turkey (4%), dehydrated mackerel (4%), dehydrated sardine (4%), dehydrated herring (4%), whole red lentils, whole chickpeas, whole peas, chicken fat (3%), whole green lentils, whole pinto beans, whole navy beans, lentil fibre, pollock oil (1%), pea starch, dried kelp, fresh whole pumpkin, fresh whole butternut squash, fresh whole zucchini, fresh whole carrots, fresh whole apples, fresh whole pears, dried chicory root, fresh kale, fresh spinach, fresh beet greens, fresh turnip greens, whole cranberries, whole blueberries, whole saskatoon berries, turmeric, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender, marshmallow root, rosehips.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/09/2023 at 16:44, gnasher16 said:

Be interested to see what you think a few months down the line all the best :thumbs:

Orijen is spot on mate thanks for doing the homework and recommending she would rather eat the dry than beef mince which she was on before I picked her up, perfect poos 2 a day easy pick ups not wipe ups which I had with previous pups, makes life much easier with being in the house I can't recommend that food enough 😀 

Thanks again 

On 17/10/2023 at 14:04, Chaff said:

Orijen is spot on mate thanks for doing the homework and recommending she would rather eat the dry than beef mince which she was on before I picked her up, perfect poos 2 a day easy pick ups not wipe ups which I had with previous pups, makes life much easier with being in the house I can't recommend that food enough 😀 

Thanks again 

Thats good to know,which one are you using the regular/maintenance one ?......the brand came to my attention when a chap i know in Holland conditioned a bulldog purely on the Fit & Trim kibble that Orijen do a few years ago....i looked into it and ended up trying some out on a pup and was happy with it.....glad its working out for you :thumbs:

1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

Thats good to know,which one are you using the regular/maintenance one ?......the brand came to my attention when a chap i know in Holland conditioned a bulldog purely on the Fit & Trim kibble that Orijen do a few years ago....i looked into it and ended up trying some out on a pup and was happy with it.....glad its working out for you :thumbs:

It's good grub mate she on this one at the moment as she only weighs in at 7 half pound. Really happy to be putting this stuff through her, will move to the Regional red as I don't think she will eat much more then 3 bags a year working that out on not growing much heavier than 22lb.

20231018_153830.jpg.b74f6f77441faf479b02ba93c68de9b9.jpg