Pipe Bender -- Help PLEASE!!!

33 minutes ago, Borr said:

Not worked on boats , if it's inch process pipe polished then you'll struggle with a bender, I'd say remove and straighten with a rubber dead blow hammer on wood . Can drill out rivets and replace easy enough few quid in Screwfix .

Shurup ye bender

• Haha 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Police Disclaimer....this meme is meant as a joke for adult entertainment only and is no way a form of abuse to Deker or any person, of any sexuality.

Yeah , that's just what I was gonna say 😁

Just having my pooh tanks emptied and dropping off the rubbish and recycling while the weathers nice 

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Borr said:

Not worked on boats , if it's inch process pipe polished then you'll struggle with a bender, I'd say remove and straighten with a rubber dead blow hammer on wood . Can drill out rivets and replace easy enough few quid in Screwfix .

I’ve tried mate but he’s hell bent on getting a bender onboard for some reason 

• Haha 2

As for contaminating stainless it's more common with abrasives, I've seen 100k heat exchanger cleaned with a flapper that had been used on carbon, the thing was showing rust in a week, so recleaned and acid. As for pipebender I guess if you're doing rusty pipe then polished stainless maybe but if the aluminium or chrome/steel roller/blocks look clean I wouldn't worry , bit of scotch bright and you can buy chem to clean rust marks off of stainless, god I've bored myself again...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Borr said:

As for contaminating stainless it's more common with abrasives, I've seen 100k heat exchanger cleaned with a flapper that had been used on carbon, the thing was showing rust in a week, so recleaned and acid. As for pipebender I guess if you're doing rusty pipe then polished stainless maybe but if the aluminium or chrome/steel roller/blocks look clean I wouldn't worry , bit of scotch bright and you can buy chem to clean rust marks off of stainless, god I've bored myself again...

Scrunched up aluminium foil works. use to clean the header pipes on motorbikes with bleach believe me or not, 

10 minutes ago, paulus said:

Scrunched up aluminium foil works. use to clean the header pipes on motorbikes with bleach believe me or not, 

Yeah I believe it, aluminium is fairly chewy as metal goes so could imagine it'd pick up surface rust..

5 minutes ago, Borr said:

Yeah I believe it, aluminium is fairly chewy as metal goes so could imagine it'd pick up surface rust..

A long time ago when i worked in the automotive industry, We developed the original EGR valve for the new nylon exhaust manifold in the new Mondeo Zetec engine, The EGR was made from 316 Austenitic stainless tubing, The wall thickness was 3mm, To this a shroud with a wall thickness of 1.6mm was swaged in place and then machine Tig welded, Then a bracket was added and finally the other end of the tube was tig welded by machine to give an airtight seal on the inside and outside of the pipe where the tube met the bottom of the bracket.  We never did find a cleaning agent that was capable of giving the level of cleanliness that was required for consistent air tight machine welds. They banned  trichloroethylene without a viable alternative, cost tens of thousands of pounds per year to hand repair pin holes in welds.

31 minutes ago, paulus said:

A long time ago when i worked in the automotive industry, We developed the original EGR valve for the new nylon exhaust manifold in the new Mondeo Zetec engine, The EGR was made from 316 Austenitic stainless tubing, The wall thickness was 3mm, To this a shroud with a wall thickness of 1.6mm was swaged in place and then machine Tig welded, Then a bracket was added and finally the other end of the tube was tig welded by machine to give an airtight seal on the inside and outside of the pipe where the tube met the bottom of the bracket.  We never did find a cleaning agent that was capable of giving the level of cleanliness that was required for consistent air tight machine welds. They banned  trichloroethylene without a viable alternative, cost tens of thousands of pounds per year to hand repair pin holes in welds.

I'd imagine the air trap was cause of pin hole or lack of slope on orbital weld. Ac90 will clean material enough to weld hygienic pharma pipework....

17 hours ago, Borr said:

I'd imagine the air trap was cause of pin hole or lack of slope on orbital weld. Ac90 will clean material enough to weld hygienic pharma pipework....

No mate it was due to contamination. I proved it with an L8 Orthogonal Array, testing 8 factors at once, That was after every expert from the welding industry had tried, and failed to solve the issue,  This was on an automated line with 4 weld units stations and a pressure test unit as a final test. The first process was bending the tubing,  All parts were the processed through an automated wash plant, This is where the problem was caused. When the Tulip was swaged onto the pipe all three surfaces had to be completely  clean of any oil or residue (The outside of the pipe and both the inner and outer surfaces of the Tulip). 

1 hour ago, paulus said:

No mate it was due to contamination. I proved it with an L8 Orthogonal Array, testing 8 factors at once, That was after every expert from the welding industry had tried, and failed to solve the issue,  This was on an automated line with 4 weld units stations and a pressure test unit as a final test. The first process was bending the tubing,  All parts were the processed through an automated wash plant, This is where the problem was caused. When the Tulip was swaged onto the pipe all three surfaces had to be completely  clean of any oil or residue (The outside of the pipe and both the inner and outer surfaces of the Tulip). 

Yeah , that's just what I was gonna say 😁

• Haha 5
6 hours ago, paulus said:

There isn't much brake cleaner doesn't remove lol , every expert from the welding industry, 😂😂 , I'm sure it's above what I know but if it was resolved with trico then surely it could be cleaned in another manner....

4 minutes ago, Borr said:

There isn't much brake cleaner doesn't remove lol , every expert from the welding industry, 😂😂 , I'm sure it's above what I know but if it was resolved with trico then surely it could be cleaned in another manner....

Honestly. The best the experts could come up with was, That the close proximity to a power pylon was interfering with the welder. I kid you not, The company spent tens of thousands of pounds on experts from BOC and a few universities. The problem with brake cleaner is it can not be used in an automated process. Honestly mate at that time there was no cleaner available that was good enough to do the job required. 

13 minutes ago, paulus said:

Honestly. The best the experts could come up with was, That the close proximity to a power pylon was interfering with the welder. I kid you not, The company spent tens of thousands of pounds on experts from BOC and a few universities. The problem with brake cleaner is it can not be used in an automated process. Honestly mate at that time there was no cleaner available that was good enough to do the job required. 

Where I work in the brazing department we was plagued with pin holes and bumps etc turned out it was the flux paste changed brand and problem solved. It’s strange how different things affect it.

• Like 1

I have found someone here who may be able to help.

Thanks for the input and I hope all will work out.

I have to admit this is really getting to me, I've only had the boat a few months, (I've had other boats), and never had anything like this happen before!

Thanks to everyone, and one person in particular.

:thumbs:

PS.  Hopefully I will be able to post some "after" pictures in a week or two!!

• Like 2