Produce your own.........

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

On 14/01/2024 at 08:08, borderboy said:

How much poly pipe did you use to make the tunnel/run? And how tall is it?

I had a full coil, but had some left. Can't remember dims, will get some measures when I'm in there. I set scaff poles in postcrete, the poly gives natural curve, then I have supported it down middle with Unistrut because seen a few vids etc where that design has collapsed with snow. Just wanted to be sure.

• Thanks 1

Well, the pigs have gone boys. That was emotional, I don't mean tears, I mean f***ing hard work! Heavy/strong animal them when they dint wanna do summat! Buggered off into their bed and wouldn't move so basically ended up dragging the Arc with the two pigs in up the trailer ramp, finally got them in and then flipped Arc back over and shut gates quickly. Must have been a good 40mins to get em in little buggers! Anyway they have been dropped off now at a nice little abbottoir/butcher. Pick the meat up Friday.

Next job is turn the pig pen into a veg plot.

20240115_131412.jpg

20240115_145826.jpg

20240115_131157.jpg

20240115_141332.jpg

20240115_141427.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Well, the pigs have gone boys. That was emotional, I don't mean tears, I mean f***ing hard work! Heavy/strong animal them when they dint wanna do summat! Buggered off into their bed and wouldn't move so basically ended up dragging the Arc with the two pigs in up the trailer ramp, finally got them in and then flipped Arc back over and shut gates quickly. Must have been a good 40mins to get em in little buggers! Anyway they have been dropped off now at a nice little abbottoir/butcher. Pick the meat up Friday.

Next job is turn the pig pen into a veg plot.

20240115_131412.jpg

20240115_145826.jpg

20240115_131157.jpg

20240115_141332.jpg

20240115_141427.jpg

Bubwith? 

Next time park the trailer in the pen a few days before and feed them in it miss the night feed the day before then they will be very hungry the morning u need them in they will run in very happy , we did the same with lambs save chaceing them around for hours 

• Like 2
Just now, vfr400boy said:

Bubwith? 

Next time park the trailer in the pen a few days before and feed them in it miss the night feed the day before then they will be very hungry the morning u need them in they will run in very happy , we did the same with lambs save chaceing them around for hours 

Yeah Bubwith mate, they have been great to be honest, really helpful.

I would have put trailer in but it ain't mine and I had to destroy pen to get it in.  Its all a learning curve and after this experience I have a better plan for the permenant pig pen.

Learning as I go mate 👍

• Like 1

Well today was collection day and I am very happy with the quantity and hopefully quality of produce! I kept ablut 1.25. Had already swapped half a pig for a full lamb before Xmas and gave a decent meat box to neighbour that helped me move em to abbottoir.

I don't think I will be going to Asda for sausages, bacon or pork joint any time soon!

20240119_175417.jpg

20240119_181905.jpg

20240119_181921.jpg

20240119_193248.jpg

20240119_193301.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Stripped down the rest of the offal today. Kept the hearts and tongues, guna have a read up on using them but he always keeps em on meateater so didn't wanna ditch em, wanna use all I can.

Made first batch of pork liver pate aswell, got enough to do another batch if this turns out to be nice.

20240121_154411.jpg

20240121_155738.jpg

20240121_164156.jpg

• Like 7

Also attended first day on the bee keeping course. Very interesting, really enjoyed it and looking forward to the other sessions. Seems its not a simple stick em in a box and get some honey though!

• Like 5