Wild goats

Slipping a dog on these lads didn't always go the dogs way ,broken toes or legs were always a possibility,I preferred to stalk and shoot them but the haul back was hoffific at times due to the terrain

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-15-08-763_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-19-06-208_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-18-41-759_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slipping a dog on these lads didn't always go the dogs way ,broken toes or legs were always a possibility,I preferred to stalk and shoot them but the haul back was hoffific at times due to the terrain

No challenge for dogs in reality,but good supply of meat/food and the landowners hated them with a passion

I have to clarify I did take a few with the dog but 90 %were shot ,

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-15-08-763_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-19-06-208_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-18-41-759_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Cracking pics, no chance I would be risking slipping any of my dogs on that terrain for a goat.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I have to clarify I did take a few with the dog but 90 %were shot ,

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-20-05-069_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-19-36-170_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2023-06-29-17-18-12-651_com.google.android.apps.photos-edit.jpg

Had your work cut out there with the clean up, looks like warmish weather so they would of needed sorting quickish. 

54 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Are they still about mate or have you shot them out .

No the forestry commission eradicated them ,after 10 years of fun they haven't been seen in 2 years now

49 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Had your work cut out there with the clean up, looks like warmish weather so they would of needed sorting quickish. 

Yeah 15 of them,they eliminated the farmers hedging and he was with me so he wanted a Holocaust type result,lol...I would never have shot so many,I had some job trying to get rid of a few lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, joe ox said:

A nasty billy could possibly be a challenge for a rabbity type lurcher but doubtful they would challenge a seasoned deer dog.

No I don’t imagine they would be but I didn’t know we were talking about seasoned deer dogs I thought it was just about lurchers in general, if a dogs seasoned on the bigger deer species a goat isn’t going to give it much of an issue. That being said if you’ve got a seasoned big deer dog & you’re running in that terrain I’d much rather go look for a herd of reds than a group of stinking goats

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Use to feed my dogs on goat meat they loved it. 

shane to kill the kids though 

Their the tastiest to eat,and there were tons born every year so plenty to go around,..at one time there were near 200 goats in a dozen mobs spread over 2 mountain ranges,....I had 25 goats in two large fridges butchered and bagged at one time both for my consumption and the dogs ,...

2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Their the tastiest to eat,and there were tons born every year so plenty to go around,..at one time there were near 200 goats in a dozen mobs spread over 2 mountain ranges,....I had 25 goats in two large fridges butchered and bagged at one time both for my consumption and the dogs ,...

How much do.the weight 

13 hours ago, joe ox said:

I've being seeing stacks of them lately on the hills while riding green lanes on a motorbike. How anyone with a running dog could have ever considered them quarry before the ban is beyond me, a hill sheep would be more of a challenge for a lurcher. I doubt they will even run away from people as they see lots of hill walkers. 

gx012610.mp4[2023-06-29 08-43-15.862].jpg

gx012610.mp4[2023-06-29 08-43-29.042].jpg

gx012610.mp4[2023-06-29 08-43-23.672].jpg

gx012610.mp4[2023-06-29 08-43-29.042].jpg

There’s some near me in the Cheviots not sure the history about them though seen them a few times one mob cross over in the otterburn army range 

how many you will a female drop? And can they breed all year round? 

56 minutes ago, Black neck said:

How much do.the weight 

Guessing...I'd reckon the big Billy's must be 60 lbs plus ,their bone density was huge ,they had legs that were solid and thick ,I dragged a lot  back.. ,pure torture,...

36 minutes ago, saluki bouy said:

There’s some near me in the Cheviots not sure the history about them though seen them a few times one mob cross over in the otterburn army range 

Twins I think are common ,but usually one kid ,and once a year was their thing as far as I know 

37 minutes ago, saluki bouy said:

Same breeding cycle as a sheep I would guess, drop a couple of kids every May.