Wild goats

I've being seeing stacks of them lately on the hills while riding green lanes on a motorbike. How anyone with a running dog could have ever considered them quarry before the ban is beyond me, a hill sheep would be more of a challenge for a lurcher. I doubt they will even run away from people as they see lots of hill walkers. 

gx012610.mp4[2023-06-29 08-43-15.862].jpg

gx012610.mp4[2023-06-29 08-43-29.042].jpg

Edited by joe ox
  • Haha 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slipping a dog on these lads didn't always go the dogs way ,broken toes or legs were always a possibility,I preferred to stalk and shoot them but the haul back was hoffific at times due to the terrain

No challenge for dogs in reality,but good supply of meat/food and the landowners hated them with a passion

I have to clarify I did take a few with the dog but 90 %were shot ,

Posted Images

re in Aus its the country side they live in around the mountains and gorges hanging of cliff faces. Of cause their are thousands of the dam things living wild on the flat scrub land country. as far as dogging them their is no real sport in that unless you want to catch them live they are far more of a challange stalking them in the hills with a 22lr. did plenty of that when I was young those youngsters are sweet eating..

• Like 1

If they are nice to eat? fair enough grab a few nice young tender ones for the pot now and then. If I remember right though I saw pictures in books and read write ups about people doing longish drives heading to places to run them! They will be absolutely no challenge for any running dog of average size and certainly nothing to brag about catching with a lurcher.

• Like 1

just a genuine question, never had any experience of taking goats with lurchers, just not my type of hunting but surely  lurchers doing this job regulary, could never be trusted with livestock be it young calves or sheep, and would be a real liabilty, when out hunting other quarry,i stand corrected if my belief is wrong.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Same could be said for other quarry species. Rabbits, mountain hares, wallabies, muntjac to name a few. None of which present much of a challenge for a lurcher but all part of the experiences of travelling & trying new things

All you have named above aren't a domesticated farm animal gone feral, I would like to see wild wallabies but would have no fancy for running them either. Each to their own I suppose.

Edited by joe ox

Mine was spot on till 7 years old,..and worst scenario....the first time he took a hold of a sheep was when I had a guest from this site out for a goat ,I was mortified and seriously disappointed with the dog,I had the mindset that he knew the difference between the two,....afterwards I went through sheep on my farmer friends land and he never looked twice at them but I never trusted him again ,....I would never let a dog run them again ,the rifle is the only job for them I think ,,..

Screenshot_2023-06-29-16-41-18-976_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, joe ox said:

All you have named above aren't a domesticated farm animal gone feral, I would like to see wild wallabies but would have no fancy for running them either. Each to their own I suppose.

The mob of goats I harvested were ferral for over the last 50 years and they were far from easy pickings,...but it's not ideal to be knocking them over with dogs 

31 minutes ago, grompz said:

just a genuine question, never had any experience of taking goats with lurchers, just not my type of hunting but surely  lurchers doing this job regulary, could never be trusted with livestock be it young calves or sheep, and would be a real liabilty, when out hunting other quarry,i stand corrected if my belief is wrong.

Not sure about being a liability but I have found SOME stock broke Lurchers that have not seen fell sheep before need to be introduced to them with caution. They act different to sheep found lower down and maybe smell different to a dog? 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

The mob of goats I harvested were ferral for over the last 50 years and they were far from easy pickings,...but it's not ideal to be knocking them over with dogs 

Other than being on dodgy terrain sometimes I cant see goats being much more of a problem than a fell sheep, I have no problem with them being culled for meat etc. They are hardly worth bragging about catching though.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, joe ox said:

No but I’d say a big Billy goat would put up more of a challenge for a lurcher than some of those that I mentioned that was my point. I’ve had wallabies myself not many but a few, they’re easy pickings for a dog but something different

1 minute ago, Deerhunter1 said:

No but I’d say a big Billy goat would put up more of a challenge for a lurcher than some of those that I mentioned that was my point. I’ve had wallabies myself not many but a few, they’re easy pickings for a dog but something different

A nasty billy could possibly be a challenge for a rabbity type lurcher but doubtful they would challenge a seasoned deer dog.

The Billy's were big heavy animals and took a bit of holding ,and a large type strong dog has an advantage ,but your correct ,it's not a red hind or fallow stag so no.. nothing to be boasting about ,I know if the opportunity ever came again ,I'd pass on dogging them and choose a rifle,you mentioned a .22,had you success in dropping goats with that caliber? It was a 223 every time for me,...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

The Billy's were big heavy animals and took a bit of holding ,and a large type strong dog has an advantage ,but your correct ,it's not a red hind or fallow stag so no.. nothing to be boasting about ,I know if the opportunity ever came again ,I'd pass on dogging them and choose a rifle,you mentioned a .22,had you success in dropping goats with that caliber? It was a 223 every time for me,...

Its stevemac in aus who mentioned a 22 ?

• Like 1