Just signed the lease on a new shoot.....after saying never again. Just want to get my young lad out doing something and away from the computer/phones. 

Anyway we simply don't have enough time this season for poults, the place is full of pheasants from last season so I'm not over worried this season. I am going to put some ex layers down just so we have made an effort. All the pens and hoppers are in place. 

I would rather put the ex layers in the pens for a while rather than just free release em. Problem is the pens are to big to net so they would be over the wire in no time.

Again I'm not to bothered, we are bordered on one side by a river and hopefully we will be adding the shooting on the farms on the other side. The pens are central and they are big good woods with plenty of cover.

How much are ex layers likely to cost this year and any tips for releasing them?

Also if anyone has any in the Northwest when can you deliver ?

The shoot next to ours always put ex layers down but have stopped recently and gone onto poults and there returns are much better    You need to confine them to the pen for a while so they associate it as home 

maybe split the pen down so it can be netted and trickle them out

On 24/05/2023 at 21:31, the monkey said:

The shoot next to ours always put ex layers down but have stopped recently and gone onto poults and there returns are much better    You need to confine them to the pen for a while so they associate it as home 

maybe split the pen down so it can be netted and trickle them out

Been looking at the pens today, one is massive, it had been used for 2000 poults ?. Big high sides as well and loads of cover in them, I think we are just going to put them in the pen with no net over. Hopefully when they realise they can fly again and don't have brails on they will then trickle themselves out. The woods are massive, full of cover and gullies/ravines so I think they will settle at least a little before they reach the boundry. 

The previous keeper had alot of birds down but didn't feed em (long story but he was sacked by Christmas). Now a lot of those birds seem to have come back in to the shoot, the landowner reckons there's more about now than the middle of last year's fecked up season. So we are hoping that even if ours wander we will have enough around for 4 guns. Plus a massive river frontage and 3 duck ponds. Should have enough to keep us busy this season 

11 hours ago, the monkey said:

Why not just put poults in there

We have to put something down to show willing with the landowner, but we know we just don't have time for poults this year. My mate is in Spain for 6 weeks from beginning of August and that's my busy time of year. The habitat and ground is so good and there is already plenty of birds about so it's nothing lost. 

We are going to spend the next 12 months doing maintenance and making plans. If all works out with the landowner this year we are going to do something proper next season. Putting a good syndicate together with lads who are capable of helping out is the main job this season ?

My own experience with ex layers has been all negative mate .Taking the wing braces off ,they all remembered how to fly in no time .Put leg rings on most of them and shot 26  out of 350 .Neighbour was a mate who rejoiced in keeping the rings they shot lol.We had last laugh when most of  their ducks preferred  our ponds though .You can’t keep adult birds like poults without a net over and dribble out few days before shooting .In my experience they never get to know the ground from a pen and just want to wander ,not being tied to a place like a poult .

If I were to do them again Id put up section pens in strategic places and dribble out before a shoot .

On 26/05/2023 at 22:39, DIDO.1 said:

Been looking at the pens today, one is massive, it had been used for 2000 poults ?. Big high sides as well and loads of cover in them, I think we are just going to put them in the pen with no net over. Hopefully when they realise they can fly again and don't have brails on they will then trickle themselves out. The woods are massive, full of cover and gullies/ravines so I think they will settle at least a little before they reach the boundry. 

The previous keeper had alot of birds down but didn't feed em (long story but he was sacked by Christmas). Now a lot of those birds seem to have come back in to the shoot, the landowner reckons there's more about now than the middle of last year's fecked up season. So we are hoping that even if ours wander we will have enough around for 4 guns. Plus a massive river frontage and 3 duck ponds. Should have enough to keep us busy this season 

Can you not split the pens a bit with some heras fence panels and net them over? 

• Like 1
Just now, Gypsydog94 said:

Can you not split the pens a bit with some heras fence panels and net them over? 

It's not really worth it. If we go to so much trouble we might as well put poults down. We are only rough shooting this year. Next year we are already planning a couple of thousand poults. Just need to be seen doing something this year while we work out who we invite to be involved next year. 

The pens and woods are massive. Mains water in the woods but no streams or natural water so my aim this year is to run drinkers out everywhere and make sure the big pens are in good order.

PXL_20230530_141911417.jpg

PXL_20230530_142807850.jpg

If there is already birds returning then I bet a few hoppers around the place with pellets in will fetch a few more in and keep them around. Its surprising how many reappear after the season isn't it.

• 1 month later...