Lamped fox vs daytime fox

5 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

They do. I did a bit of roo shooting years ago on stubble right out West NSW and if you turned off the lights and stopped then hit the spotlight you would have multiple foxes up close. They would follow the ute waiting for guts and dead joeys. Not many bothered shooting foxes out there.

Any pedigree feral dogs out there mate watching a documentary on shooting Australian feral dogs and they all looked like dingos but differs colours 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day time for me ! Iv seen some insane runs in the day and Iv had to close my eyes a few times while there running , bolting them from cover to waiting lurchers and lamping probably equal but for the l

I think catching them regularly from cover in the daytime is harder than lamping imo....I like to walk the old quarrys at first light, usually put a few up and get a few runs?

Good post,  never really gone out just for foxes, old Bryn my 1x collie grey could find them in the day, but didn't like the sharp end , Buck could find them in the day as well. Where ever he got them

Any dog given enough time and generations will revert to natures phenotype. this makes it very difficult to tell dingo from feral dog here in Aus.  its known that brindle is not a dingo colour but dingoes range from white to black and tan stature varies with terrian so thats not some thing than we can go by. ofcause DNA will give the answer but they have to be dead and thats not always justified.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Any pedigree feral dogs out there mate watching a documentary on shooting Australian feral dogs and they all looked like dingos but differs colours 

I've seen German shepherds, a greyhound, a deerhound type, also a fox terrier that was seen for 10 years or more by people surviving quite well. Not really feral, more likely dumped or lost dogs. I've seen a few different colored dingo based wild dogs. One I thought was a short haired border collie until I got close. I also saw two feral dogs attacking a loose bull terrier in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, they looked like wolves with shaggy coat and grey color., nothing like dingoes. It's wild bush up there, I think they were generations bred feral dogs and I believe they were trying to eat the bull terrier.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I've seen German shepherds, a greyhound, a deerhound type, also a fox terrier that was seen for 10 years or more by people surviving quite well. Not really feral, more likely dumped or lost dogs. I've seen a few different colored dingo based wild dogs. One I thought was a short haired border collie until I got close. I also saw two feral dogs attacking a loose bull terrier in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, they looked like wolves with shaggy coat and grey color., nothing like dingoes. It's wild bush up there, I think they were generations bred feral dogs and I believe they were trying to eat the bull terrier.

they cull around hawksnest every now and then because the numbers get up and they start taking pet dogs out of yards. but they have alos been shown to be some of the purest dingoes in the country. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stevemac said:

they cull around hawksnest every now and then because the numbers get up and they start taking pet dogs out of yards. but they have alos been shown to be some of the purest dingoes in the country. 

I'd believe that steve, I was living up near Taree a couple of years ago and they were having trouble with large numbers of wild dogs. Calves and even horses were being attacked. My neighbor lost 9 alpacas to dogs in one night, must have been a few dogs. It's really thick trees and scrub up the coast for them to hide in. Not many rabbits up there, my dogs only caught one rabbit in the area, an escaped pet Angora, lol.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I'd believe that steve, I was living up near Taree a couple of years ago and they were having trouble with large numbers of wild dogs. Calves and even horses were being attacked. My neighbor lost 9 alpacas to dogs in one night, must have been a few dogs. It's really thick trees and scrub up the coast for them to hide in. Not many rabbits up there, my dogs only caught one rabbit in the area, an escaped pet Angora, lol.

I had my first ever encounter with Dingoes on my uncles farm in the Markwell valley outside buladelah ya plenty of scrub up that way. anyway I was walking along with my Golden retriever and my first ridgeback. heard a rustle behing us and spun around to see 3 dingoes/feral dogs going for my dogs no sooner had I raised my rifle and the disapeared as quick as they arivived dogs took after them but I called them back knowing what they do to my uncles working dogs when they get one.

• Like 2
On 03/05/2023 at 11:43, stevemac said:

I had my first ever encounter with Dingoes on my uncles farm in the Markwell valley outside buladelah ya plenty of scrub up that way. anyway I was walking along with my Golden retriever and my first ridgeback. heard a rustle behing us and spun around to see 3 dingoes/feral dogs going for my dogs no sooner had I raised my rifle and the disapeared as quick as they arivived dogs took after them but I called them back knowing what they do to my uncles working dogs when they get one.

What would they do to you’re uncle’s working dogs mate?

On 02/05/2023 at 12:01, Aussie Whip said:

Some crackin land you ausi lads have to go at..

Every farmer I spoke to over said I could go for a run if I wanted to seemed alot more laid back than here..

Edited by dodger
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, dodger said:

Some crackin land you ausi lads have to go at..

Every farmer I spoke to over said I could go for a run if I wanted to seemed alot more laid back than here..

It can be hard to get on with dogs in sheep country unless they know you or know a neighbor that knows you. Most cattle farmers are happy to have you get rid of pests if you look sane. You must have a trusting face dodger, if you come over again I'll have to come with you to get more spots, lol. It's probably easier because we have huge properties in some places.

13 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

It can be hard to get on with dogs in sheep country unless they know you or know a neighbor that knows you. Most cattle farmers are happy to have you get rid of pests if you look sane. You must have a trusting face dodger, if you come over again I'll have to come with you to get more spots, lol. It's probably easier because we have huge properties in some places.

Places I spent mostly waw Narabri hillston griffith Tamworth n a few more places huge land plenty hare pigs deer n a couple plenty of rabbits, I was driving around and would stop at farms looking for work.

They really was layed back with the hunting atleast the places were I stayed, on one place I used to take the old ute or a quad n chase the hares n kangaroos round the huge stubbles it was great fun n then spotting stuff at night with the lamp on the ute..

• Like 1
22 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

What would they do to you’re uncle’s working dogs mate?

Kill them the very least beat the crap out of them to a point they lost their nerve and wouldnt work again.

12 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

funny enough we hit up two neighbors the first a cattle man said no I like foxes they keep the rabbits down. the second a sheep farmer said you can have a look but ive not long finished a baiting program laid 78 baits and only picked up 11 so dont think you will see much. we picked up 6 foxes in about 2.5 hrs that afternoon and were told come back anytime.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

What dogs did he have 

kelpies, collies and cattle x collies x kelpies tough dogs on cattle but the dingos would wait in the scrubby gullies and when the dogs went in to push out the cattle they would get grabbed by the dingos.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, stevemac said:

kelpies, collies and cattle x collies x kelpies tough dogs on cattle but the dingos would wait in the scrubby gullies and when the dogs went in to push out the cattle they would get grabbed by the dingos.

Didn’t he run any stag hounds with them