APBT x wheaten

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a new pup join the ranks . Been here 2 weeks now and settling in nicely. Was a little noisy in the kennel for the first week but now as quiet as a mouse . 4 month old APBT x wheaten bred by my fri

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs.  This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about

Posted Images

On 18/04/2023 at 21:44, Hannibal3 said:

Why do you think that my friend? Be interesting to hear 

If you want a Pit get a Pit! If you want a Wheaten get a Wheaten. Two working breeds bred for very different purposes, horses for courses as they say.

On 10/04/2023 at 20:46, Hannibal3 said:

Had a new pup join the ranks . Been here 2 weeks now and settling in nicely. Was a little noisy in the kennel for the first week but now as quiet as a mouse . 4 month old APBT x wheaten bred by my friend in Ireland . Dam was a Russian import Pit bitch 20tts 35lb . Sire was a wheaten dog 19tts 39lb 

A349E8F3-A54D-4CB1-882E-D98363399765.png

Nice pup , although I’d imagine in this day and age any use of this type of dog would be madness as a working dog , out of interest did you acquire this pup through these breed’s popularity on social media atm , no dig at you just curious as lots of people seem to be now interested in fairly uncommon types of working dogs , nice pup by the way looks great

2 hours ago, Setenta said:

There would be better breeds suited to boar who wouldn’t be such a liability around other dogs whilst working. 

That is the only fly in the ointment,once they switch on they are unpredictable as to what they might do next ,it may not be the boar they have zoned in on 

1 hour ago, Jackmo said:

Nice pup , although I’d imagine in this day and age any use of this type of dog would be madness as a working dog , out of interest did you acquire this pup through these breed’s popularity on social media atm , no dig at you just curious as lots of people seem to be now interested in fairly uncommon types of working dogs , nice pup by the way looks great

Thanks mate she is a nice pup . Settled in nicely, gets on with my other dogs but I am fully aware of what she is and she will probably became a different animal as she matures. 
To be honest I did not plan on getting her. A good friend of mine who lives in Ireland bred her. I was offered any one of the litter but declined as I was flat out doing work on my new house . My friend bred her and gifted her to a friend of his in the uk. There was 9 in the litter, he gifted 6 to people and sold 3 . The guy that took her off him could not end up keeping her , said she was nuts and too much drive . My friend asked if I could grab her off him and keep her while he arranged transport back to Ireland . 
I picked her up and decided after a week of spending time with her that I liked her and I was keeping her . Both myself and the guy that bred her was happy. I have own dog here from him and had 2 previously and always been happy with the dogs he has sent me 

• Like 5
On 19/04/2023 at 20:11, jigsaw said:

First of all ,to work this type of dog, Ie a draw dog ,you need to have good terriers to get the work for them,secondly it has nothing to do with handling game at the end of a dig,...it's about working strong dogs ,but your correct when you say this day and age,the time and politics of keeping such animals for use in the countryside are long gone,..mind one on a wild boar would be a sight to behold 

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs. 
This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he is can only be used as a catch dog by himself 

3B21297E-A409-4764-BBE5-556065C92B95.png

5693D9F3-1A97-4924-B3E9-B23B856D6322.png

• Like 15
9 hours ago, jigsaw said:

That is the only fly in the ointment,once they switch on they are unpredictable as to what they might do next ,it may not be the boar they have zoned in on 

Thats one of the reasons that over the years Ive never seen the attraction with wheatons.Not been around loads but the few Ive seen have all been unstable around other dogs,livestock and some even around people once the were switched on or a bit wound up.Seen other breeds that could do the same job just as good or even better and were a lot more balanced and could be trusted in the the sutuations listed above.

• Like 2

Which other breeds do you refer to?as for  the end of a dig back in the day ,when the wheaten was used it was sorted that there was nothing else to focus on other than the pocket and the game,...their created with dollops of bull terrier injected in the past,so it's not a surprise they can be distracted..

9 hours ago, Hannibal3 said:

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs. 
This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he is can only be used as a catch dog by himself 

3B21297E-A409-4764-BBE5-556065C92B95.png

5693D9F3-1A97-4924-B3E9-B23B856D6322.png

Looking at the bottom photo,the dog is fighting the boar rather than taking an ear hold,which is exactly what you don't want I'd guess,

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Looking at the bottom photo,the dog is fighting the boar rather than taking an ear hold,which is exactly what you don't want I'd guess,

No mate he locked onto the board nose and was awarded the maximum points for the day. 
It’s a test which they are judged on, if they grab the boar on the back it is an instant fail.

They are only passed and certificated if they grab the boar by the head , ears or nose . 
This dog grabbed the nose and was the highest grading dog there. He went up against a number of different breeds , presa being the most common 

• Like 10