HMR bunnies

On 14/02/2023 at 21:27, Stavross said:

At that distance I’d use the centrefire 

I’ve never had a hornet, shot a couple only on rabbits and they don’t half wack’em

Hornet is CF. It's good to hundreds on birds. People have taken fox at 250-300 with Hornet. It's still got over 300 ft lbs at 200yds with the 25 grain and over 200ft lbs at 300yds with tons of velocity. Whereas personally I'd recommend a larger CF for fox at 300, hornet still has enough energy and velocity to be more than be humane. From memory, fox require about 50 ft lbs so at 200yds, Hornet has 6 times that.

• Confused 2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had another look out yesterday night with the HMR , really loving shooting it at present. Not the best night , weather was very still , no wind at all and temperature dropped to -1 making the gro

You won’t go wrong with CZ 457 or tikka T1X

Just as well use the .22 subs at 50 mate surely .Quieter ,cheaper and same result .Mate has his 17 zeroed at 100 and pushes that out to 150 ,seen it .

Posted Images

On 14/02/2023 at 20:58, foxdropper said:

If it wasn’t for the lead ban shite thing I’d be tempted as mate does wonders with his on the rabbits

I have no idea what the lead ban will eventually do to rimfires, but I still love my HMR, then again I still use both my 2 x .22lr and my WMR.

I have a use for them all, so at the moment they are going nowhere!

:good:

1 minute ago, Deker said:

I have no idea what the lead ban will eventually do to rimfires, but I still love my HMR, then again I still use both my 2 x .22lr and my WMR.

I have a use for them all, so at the moment they are going nowhere!

Same mate .Be a dark day when you can’t pop out with the .22 and whack a few vermin due to lack of decent  ammo 

Prone, and on the bipod, I'm very confident out to about 125yards with the HMR.

Best ever is 258yards, under controlled conditions (not a shot I would usually consider with HMR), and used the HMR to 600 yards at Bisley.....I eventually got it on the board!!! :laugh::good:

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Hornet is CF. It's good to hundreds on birds. People have taken fox at 250-300 with Hornet. It's still got over 300 ft lbs at 200yds with the 25 grain and over 200ft lbs at 300yds with tons of velocity. Whereas personally I'd recommend a larger CF for fox at 300, hornet still has enough energy and velocity to be more than be humane. From memory, fox require about 50 ft lbs so at 200yds, Hornet has 6 times that.

I never said it wasn’t 

50ft/lbs of energy at 200 yards is not a lot for an animal the size of a fox, I wouldn’t think many would drop on the spot, I would of thought even a light .223 would still be doing over 700ft/lbs at that distance, I’d be more than confident in that, to me that makes the .223 a better option than a hornet

On 14/02/2023 at 18:52, FOXHUNTER said:

I've got my confidence back in it now ? I was taking bunnies comfortably at 70 - 90 yds.

The one I missed was the longest shot trying to stretch it but I never gave any holdover.

Looking forward to another session with it.

As a matter of interest, what zero do you have on the HMR?

Mine is 100yards, and as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm confident out to 125, but in honesty the majority of shots are under 100.

Been thinking of knocking down the zero to 75-80 maybe, but not really having any issues regardless!

1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Just as well use the .22 subs at 50 mate surely .Quieter ,cheaper and same result .Mate has his 17 zeroed at 100 and pushes that out to 150 ,seen it .

I'm guessing it's the 70-80yd ones that the hmr is coming into it's own though over the .22

• Like 2
Just now, BenBhoy said:

I'm guessing it's the 70-80yd ones that the hmr is coming into it's own though over the .22

Yep spot on ?

Early season I use the .22 as the rabbits are not as jumpy and closer but this time of year they are very skittish hence shooting them at eighty to hundred yards.

I havent used it much but loving it at the minute so just getting used to it.

Wasnt really a fan of it when I bought it but am starting to love it now.

22 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Zeroed at 50 yards as all shots are sub 100 yds.

Each to their own.  If that works for you that's great. :yes::good:

Personally, and for my locations, I favour somewhere 75-100 Yard zero!

That leaves me pretty much point and shoot from about 25-125 yards!

Edited by Deker
Just now, Deker said:

Each to their own.  If that works for you that's great. :yes::good:

Personally, and for my locations, I favour somewhere 75-100 Yard zero!

That leaves me pretty much point and shoot from about 25 -125 yards!

As I've already said I am just experimenting with it at the moment , but it is suiting  my needs at present. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Just been researching and apparently a 42 yard zero has the HMR bang on at 100 yards.

Depends on barrel and ammo of course. 

That will be a 100yard zero, with a FIRST zero at 42 yards. :whistling: :) :good:

• Like 1