.22LR HV v Sub Sonic accuracy

Just now, Deker said:

Enlarging on another thread..................

Have you ever found a .22LR High Velocity round that is more accurate than your best Sub sonic round, and obviously, if so, which?

Cheers

Short answer no, long answer still no ?

24 minutes ago, Deker said:

Enlarging on another thread..................

Have you ever found a .22LR High Velocity round that is more accurate than your best Sub sonic round, and obviously, if so, which?

Cheers

No, 

More accurate no but in the distant past now some were as good.

Winchester laser, American eagle. Federal game shock and eley hvhp all were exceptional.

I also remember that recently I tested a box of CCI velocitors and the grouped tightly also.

I never noted any hypers doing well except for some pre 90's yellow jackets and stingers only ever worked well in one rifle.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Winchester laser, American eagle. Federal game shock and eley hvhp all were exceptional.

I also remember that recently I tested a box of CCI velocitors and the grouped tightly also.

I never noted any hypers doing well except for some pre 90's yellow jackets and stingers only ever worked well in one rifle.

I'd forgotten about them, I have a 500 brick in the armoury for my rifle club, and more in my cabinet, to be fair they were/are good, mine must be 20 years old, and as you can tell, don't come out often!

Still not quite as good as my best subs, but good just the same! :good:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Same here, some as good but none better. Sk high velocity are superb, but so are their subs. As said, Yellowjackets were good, in fact, the best of Remington .22’s that I’ve tried, and I think I’ve tried them all?

• Like 1

Back in 2020, I did test my RWS subs against Hornady HV at 60mt which were just as accurate in my Tikka barrel however they are not the same velocity as CCI HV which are around 1600fps (and crap in my humble opinion) whereas the Hornady are approx 1250fps but nevertheless more than standard subs and much quieter than CCI. Not a round I use a lot but they have taken a few foxes with no problem at closer range.

Phil

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philpot said:

Back in 2020, I did test my RWS subs against Hornady HV at 60mt which were just as accurate in my Tikka barrel however they are not the same velocity as CCI HV which are around 1600fps (and crap in my humble opinion) whereas the Hornady are approx 1250fps but nevertheless more than standard subs and much quieter than CCI. Not a round I use a lot but they have taken a few foxes with no problem at closer range.

Phil

That'll be CCI stingers Phil.

The CCI velocitors are about 1400 and the CCI mini mag are around the 1250 mark. ??

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

That'll be CCI stingers Phil.

The CCI velocitors are about 1400 and the CCI mini mag are around the 1250 mark. ??

Stingers......... they are the ones Bernard, I gave all mine away, just could not get on with them. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, philpot said:

Stingers......... they are the ones Bernard, I gave all mine away, just could not get on with them. 

Only ever bought 1 box of stingers, fast for sure, but all over the place for me!

Velocitors worked pretty well for me, still use them in my pistol!

On 02/02/2023 at 13:29, hambone said:

Are you testing on an indoor range? 25 yards seems a bit short range for a .22 rimfire grouping test. 25 yard is about sub 12ft/lb airgun territory.

25-30 yd is honestly where most over here use a .22lr. I know many many people who think it's crazy to shoot past that....which I find odd because I routinely pest with mine out to 150-200yd. 

• Like 1