I was a digging enthusiast for almost 30 years,and in all that time,you could count on 2 hands the amount of gear we culled,...they were always released unharmed,...the next time you met a adversary that had been dug before,it was a much more intense beast,for it knew what was approaching from above..

• Like 6

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

s

Them Jagd terriers were all  the rage over here 5 yrs ago...few lads I know imported them...not a patch on a decent Russell or black dog.. didn't take long before they was crossing them to anythi

And in my view,if every yoke you dig,has never been dug before,your dog has not faced an educated quarry,and so MAY NOT have ever been tested to the limit? Just a different angle to it..

Posted Images

On 25/01/2023 at 19:57, jigsaw said:

Levigsp anyone dig badger and release them after the dig,I see the photos of the culled badger,just me wondering on the subject....no other reason for asking

Year ago I used to dig badgers and release them as it was part of the licence I got. I stopped that nonsense after an 18 hour dig. In Poland and Germany they have Badger seasons and all animals are culled, as are raccoon and raccoon dog etc, pelts are worth money as is badger grease etc.

b skins.jpg

Edited by levigsp
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, OldPhil said:

A few years back,.I had a Terrier enthusiast stay with me. 

He was based in Ireland, and used a robust type of Sealyham Terrier mix,...to dig the Badgers...

He made a point of telling me, how they always released the quarry once the dog had worked it well, and only dispatched them, if the Farmer requested it. 

Tom was a  really nice guy,...I taught him Mole Trapping (what a waste for an Irish pester, eh?) and I also showed him how to cull a colony of Prairie Dawgs?

In return, he offered me the hunting holiday of a lifetime,....sadly,.I never crossed the sea to accept his hospitality....

Too late now....?

Silly man, you missed out on a lot because of you not wishing to travel.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, levigsp said:

Year ago I used to dig badgers and release them as it was part of the licence. I stopped that nonsense after an 18 hour dig. I Poland and Germany they have Badger seasons and all animals are culled, as a raccoon raccoon dog etc.

Nonsense......lol... different ways of looking at things,that's all it is,,personally I'd prefer to see it live for another day but that's just me 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Francie, said:

About releasing them lol the sore on the next arrival then if you do release.

And in my view,if every yoke you dig,has never been dug before,your dog has not faced an educated quarry,and so MAY NOT have ever been tested to the limit? Just a different angle to it..

• Like 6
On 25/01/2023 at 20:17, OldPhil said:

A few years back,.I had a Terrier enthusiast stay with me. 

He was based in Ireland, and used a robust type of Sealyham Terrier mix,...to dig the Badgers...

He made a point of telling me, how they always released the quarry once the dog had worked it well, and only dispatched them, if the Farmer requested it. 

Tom was a  really nice guy,...I taught him Mole Trapping (what a waste for an Irish pester, eh?) and I also showed him how to cull a colony of Prairie Dawgs?

In return, he offered me the hunting holiday of a lifetime,....sadly,.I never crossed the sea to accept his hospitality....

Too late now....?

Never too late mate .I’m visiting Ireland next year for the sika rut .Hope you get there one day too .

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jigsaw said:

You in your post "stopped the nonsense"....I'm quoting you...it seems what we did in your eyes was nonsense 

I never mentioned anyone else! what other did is not my business.  The nonsense to me was digging them, I had spent 18 hours through the night digging only to let the badger go! for what? that was the straw that broke the camels back and i never when to the B&W again. At least when I put terrier to fox it was over quick and far more profitable.

• Like 1

Them Jagd terriers were all  the rage over here 5 yrs ago...few lads I know imported them...not a patch on a decent Russell or black dog..

didn't take long before they was crossing them to anything else...I've never seen one ,I would of fed personally...20170115_084017.jpg.24719fed245329e6cad502e74990c99a.jpg

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, levigsp said:

Thats because they have two totally different working styles.

For working foxes underground a Russel cannot be beaten, For killing  or holding a jagded is far superior. strange thing is jagded x fell are often great coon killers.

any working terrier worth its salt,will change its working style to suit the quarry,I've always kept bitches,(everyone could kill a fox no problem)Id expect them to stay to what ever they was  shown, wouldn't keep a dog that could only do one thing...I've seen enough bitches half the size of a dog,stay and complete the task when a male has spewed,up and down this country in places you wouldn't drop a free ads special in..

if I was ever to start up again,then a black dog and would be my choice?123984673_20170115_0849382.jpg.c08beb1797fc9b847faf0cdf3bf7b4e9.jpg

• Like 2
  • levigsp changed the title to s