Morning out

2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Great pic mate are the pegs on the net's whittled down from dried elderberry wood that's what an old mate and allround poacher used to use on his purse net's. I really do miss days out with the ferrets whether it was bolting them for the hawk's or into purse net's.

I think the love of ferreting comes from most of us starting out that way as kids. even now ageing fart like me when dog as marked and ferret is in, when you here it bumping still makes my heart beat faster....... daft old txxt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I think the love of ferreting comes from most of us starting out that way as kids. even now ageing fart like me when dog as marked and ferret is in, when you here it bumping still makes my heart beat faster....... daft old txxt

Meks me need a wee every time 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Great pic mate are the pegs on the net's whittled down from dried elderberry wood that's what an old mate and allround poacher used to use on his purse net's. I really do miss days out with the ferrets whether it was bolting them for the hawk's or into purse net's.

I think your right as it looks like elder,I've always enjoyed ferreting,I got the ferreting bug as a young lad going out with me grandfather when me mother asked him to take me with him to keep me out of her hair ? I'd sit and watch me grandad knit purse nets ,his hands lighting fast and when I asked why you not looking at what your doing he just laughed and said my fingers do the work not me eyes lad .

I remember me gran whittling flowers out of elder and pegs out of willow to hawk around the doors,she would get us kids to collect all the willow and elder then get each one of us to do a certain peace on the peg then pass it along ,my job was cutting tin cans at the seam  and heating them up in the fire then clean them and cut into strips to wrap around the finished pegs ,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I like to use a bright coloured net...if they are green then fit a bright red draw cord ?20150927_142323.jpg.aa3adf7910153dffeb453a3bd3bf031b.jpg20151002_130237.jpg.38b545af73ca54823cfffd4a0f6d6b64.jpgDSC_0974.JPG.33e2afb96783ae4171c776bdb150a281.JPG20150927_135417.jpg.28f3c575990ebb4777f203d0411867b4.jpgDSC_0975.JPG.4bd3d47292a5c167561453e84e01ad63.JPG

Good idea ,looks a nice spot .

I just got asked to ferret couple small fields with burrows in the open and the dogs was marking well when I walked it earlier today so I'm hoping for few good days next week 

IMG20230121114042.jpg

IMG20230121114138.jpg

IMG20230121112607.jpg

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Good idea ,looks a nice spot .

I just got asked to ferret couple small fields with burrows in the open and the dogs was marking well when I walked it earlier today so I'm hoping for few good days next week 

IMG20230121114042.jpg

IMG20230121114138.jpg

IMG20230121112607.jpg

Get a decent run on them shockers

• Like 1
On 21/01/2023 at 14:02, fred90 said:

Its a great feeling mate and a feeling i know i will probably never feel or witness again in my lifetime as the lack of rabbits local to me just doesn't warrant keeping ferrets anymore and i sold my locators and net's years ago. A pic of better days.

20190214_115005.jpg

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Its a great feeling mate and a feeling i know i will probably never feel or witness again in my lifetime as the lack of rabbits local to me just doesn't warrant keeping ferrets anymore and i sold my locators and net's years ago. A pic of better days.

20190214_115005.jpg

Yorkshire dales at a guess? 

On 21/01/2023 at 14:02, fred90 said:

How old are you mate if you don't mind me asking, I'm and owd timer but look, I know of a place near me, fox, badger bunnies, when I climb over that gate into there territory my heart beats a little faster, no dog, just me n.them, .I'm more than happy with that, 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Yes mate it was like shelling peas compared to ferreting in woodland railway banking's and the banks of the river Don in S.Yorkshire and other hard places.

looked a great day ?, never had numbers like that though, had good days and nights mainly Lincolnshire that's where we all headed off to. local its mooching about old pit tips, industrial units, disused railway embankments, hardest jobs is avoiding do gooders?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, fred90 said:

looked a great day ?, never had numbers like that though, had good days and nights mainly Lincolnshire that's where we all headed off to. local its mooching about old pit tips, industrial units, disused railway embankments, hardest jobs is avoiding do gooders?

Found it boring after a few times tbh and it just became hard work putting net's down and pulling them up. I have had far more enjoyable days bolting rabbits for hawk's in a few different locations. 

• Like 1