Cheveral Goldfinch

8 minutes ago, paulus said:

They truly are a wonder of nature mate.

133007049_10220485539102312_813987629622349232_n.jpg

306.png

Top pic is a belter, paulus, your photography skills have definitely improved lol.  ?

Goldies, probably my favourite British bird.

Edited by shaaark

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an interesting little thread, love being outdoors love my British wildlife, but always thought a goldie was a goldie, and now I,ve learnt something else nice one lads ??

I'm hopefully working towards breeding proper pied goldies,plenty of lads are breeding them now but they want ridiculous money for them which I can't afford. I have bred more marked mules than in

Pea throat

Posted Images

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Top pic is a belter, paulus, your photography skills have definitely improved lol.  ?

Goldies, probably my favourite British bird.

And mine followed by the Dunnock believe it or not,  

15 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Was a fella over in Enfield used to have the exotic pet shop. Had some lovely goldfinches. And lots of other rare animals. 

Except he kept getting closed down :whistling:....Crews Hill you mean ? Egyptian or something as i remember.

• Haha 1

Im good mates with one of the top goldie lads in the country.L Lockhart.some of his peathroat,chevral and pied birds are outstanding.His dad was also top of his game with the british finches and mules and Im sure it was chalkwarren off of here that mentioned his grandfather in one of the old lurcher books as being something of a stockman

11 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

That’s him ? he’s had a colourful past had a chat to him few times over the years he’s a character for sure 

I think the chap you are referring to died a few years back mate its changed hands a few times since then,all gone a little bit more upmarket dont think he sells pups/kittens etc anymore....he still has all them aviaries out the back and sells some unusual birds but it is pretty much all birds now.

• Like 1
Just now, gnasher16 said:

I think the chap you are referring to died a few years back mate its changed hands a few times since then,all gone a little bit more upmarket dont think he sells pups/kittens etc anymore....he still has all them aviaries out the back and sells some unusual birds but it is pretty much all birds now.

That’s a shame to hear seemed a interesting fella was a few years back though to be fair, yeah the Chinese looking blokes in there now been there a while he’s a decent chap, and barely any finches there anymore said he was struggling to get them last time I popped in. 

the old Egyptian bloke used to have the one at the bottom in the little car park and the one in springtime if I remember rightly. 

12 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Yeah crews hill take the kids there every year to see Father Christmas it’s a nice little place only 20 mins from me ????

Springtime Nurseries you're on about where they have the Santa train/grotto type thing....real reindeers as well normally yes the grandson runs me ragged round there ?

2 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Springtime Nurseries you're on about where they have the Santa train/grotto type thing....real reindeers as well normally yes the grandson runs me ragged round there ?

That’s it nice little place, changed a bit though now, you go round on the train and Santa comes out to you. think covid made it all change.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lurcherman 887 said:

That’s a shame to hear seemed a interesting fella was a few years back though to be fair, yeah the Chinese looking blokes in there now been there a while he’s a decent chap, and barely any finches there anymore said he was struggling to get them last time I popped in. 

the old Egyptian bloke used to have the one at the bottom in the little car park and the one in springtime if I remember rightly. 

Thats it mate yes he bought the little one in the Springtime car park for his daughter but i dont think it worked out......the Chinese looking chap is a lovely fella,Covid hit him hard and came close to closing down but seems to be slowly coming good again .......do you remember the Turkish fella used to buy and sell the animals in Jollyes just behind the bird place we're talking about ?.......right slippery old f****r he was ?

• Like 1

All the old places are gone, Bennet's seed merchants, that supplied everything you could imagine closed shortly after the old man died and the 2 sons took a quick profit on the building, Then there was a sort of local place importing all sorts of foreign finches, Most were full of anti biotics to get a quick sale and didn't last very long, Gone are the local old boys who just bred for themselves and gave or swapped birds with mates. Around here was the best in the world for Norwich canaries in the past but now your lucky to find someone with a budgie in a cage, Sad really but its just the way the world has gone.