New football thread

8 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Surely the fact that Foden didnt have a touch in the opposition box for 90 minutes is concerning....all the attacking talent we have is being stifled by a manager thats terrified of getting hit on the counter,hence the 2 defensive midfielders it offers us no real commitment to anything creative Southgate shits his pants at the thought of playing an attacking middle of Bellingham/Rice/Maddison i wouldnt even be surprised if he plays Rice/Henderson at the Euros......the likes of Pep/Klopp have the same issues to deal with but they deal with them by being brave,something we can now afford to do ourselves given the quality we have.

Regards who next.....yes i suppose Howe/Potter if we're sticking with an English manager ( which we should )....even the lad Lee Carsley if the FA insist on someone safe and an in - house appointment....he's done well guiding the under 21's to European success and plays attractive football.

I just think this is an opportunity we cannot miss.....yes Southgate has achieved everything the FA brought him in to achieve,but all those things you mention take place off of a football pitch and now its time to address what takes place on it and he's proven he's not the man to do it....he was a political tidy up job and thats done now.....now let these talented young lads off the leash and get after teams.

I never liked the 2 defensive midfielder system either mate, but just off the Belgium game he didn't play that, only Rice held. I don't think Foden had a very good game to be honest, that happens, Mainoo and Bellingham shined and Maddison looked good when he came on. I agree though, Southgate has come as far as he can and the next man has the golden opportunity of a lifetime. I hope (obviously) we win the Euros, and I think we will look back on this period as Englands transition from old to new, we are now producing the type of players we always wanted to, I get that comes from the clubs but there must be some investment from the FA/England set up, Southgate was U21s before and i think has pushed this investment in English youth very well... 

It's too early I think, but Michael Carrick is doing things the right way, he's well respected by most, and unlike Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney is under the radar (much like his career), but I've a feeling he'll be the best of that bunch eventually... too big for him now perhaps though.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

Lived in the same street as Beardsley when we were younger. He always was a mile ahead of the rest in skill as a kid. I saw him in a Marie Currie hospice a couple of years ago, he was handing out

My Hammers will struggle this year ,some fans want Moyse gone but personally i cant see the point we have a manager thats proved he can improve the club,owners willing to throw money at it.....at what

Posted Images

Here’s one, who thinks VAR will weaken us ?

How would you get used to playing against a Chiellini or Ramos type character, who play in country’s where it don’t exist, when every week you have that silly protection in your domestic league ? 

Edited by WILF
9 minutes ago, big sid said:

i wont go on about it as we most certainly see it from different angles, 

We probably see it very similarly mate, I agree with your sentiment entirely, I'm just looking at it very factually and with "normal world" hat on... but like you say we could go round in circles whilst probably thinking very much the same way! lol

11 minutes ago, WILF said:

Or…….

A team that can be top half in the hardest league in the world with a European trophy under their belt and in the late stages of another……

Not sure i follow what you're getting at mate......unless of course you think West Ham have under achieved lately ? :whistling:

4 minutes ago, WILF said:

Here’s one, who thinks VAR will weaken us ?

How would you get used to playing against a Chiellini or Ramos type character, who play in country’s where it don’t exist, when every week you have that silly protection in your domestic league ? 

I don't think the Chelini or Ramos type player would play as high a line to rely on VAR offside decisons mate, they want to defend in the truest form, tackle, hold, grapple, fight etc.. stepping up on the halfway line aint exactly their style.. so I think we are in the same boat as ever against those types and that's unlocking them, we certainly have the players for it... I think they've both retired now havent they? not sure,.. but there ain't many of those types about...

3 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I never liked the 2 defensive midfielder system either mate, but just off the Belgium game he didn't play that, only Rice held. I don't think Foden had a very good game to be honest, that happens, Mainoo and Bellingham shined and Maddison looked good when he came on. I agree though, Southgate has come as far as he can and the next man has the golden opportunity of a lifetime. I hope (obviously) we win the Euros, and I think we will look back on this period as Englands transition from old to new, we are now producing the type of players we always wanted to, I get that comes from the clubs but there must be some investment from the FA/England set up, Southgate was U21s before and i think has pushed this investment in English youth very well... 

It's too early I think, but Michael Carrick is doing things the right way, he's well respected by most, and unlike Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney is under the radar (much like his career), but I've a feeling he'll be the best of that bunch eventually... too big for him now perhaps though.

I think the FA have made massive strides in investing the game, I could be wrong but I read they had helped with 6000 new pitches at grass roots level.

Compared to the FAI it’s night and day what the FA do.

I think Keane hits the nail on the head with England fans before every tournament with his little quip of “Oh, you’ve won it already again” ……bang on ! 

Im not really one for manager stats because if their football is shit then it’s shit but Southgate is second only to Capello except the difference is he has created something where lads like us are gassing like we really believe rather than just in hope.

Nobody else did that, I like how Southgate has carried himself…..would I want such an uninspiring man as coach of my domestic club ?….no…..got one already and it’s shite.

But for England there is no doubt he has been a breath of fresh air. 

1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

Not sure i follow what you're getting at mate......unless of course you think West Ham have under achieved lately ? :whistling:

No, they have achieved playing absolute shite…..that’s the point.

15 minutes ago, WILF said:

It was probably decided they just didn’t need that noise around an already shattered dressing room at Utd, the job was hard enough already. 

Yeah  maybe so mate, but they have to make a final decision soon, they've papered over and given room to breathe, but will have to sale him this summer if they aren't having him back...and then explain the reason, as I said I reckon Hag would have him in a heart beat, but won't be his decision 

Just now, NEWKID said:

as I said I reckon Hag would have him in a heart beat, but won't be his decision 

Do you ?…..that’s surprising mate.

I wouldn’t have thought Ten Haag was the type to want all that around him at all ? 

12 minutes ago, WILF said:

Fair point, who knows why ?……that’s why gassing football is what we do mate. 

Im just finished with Southgate mate i cant stand the sight of him anymore and getting all bitter and twisted about the cxxt you'll have to excuse me !! 😆😅

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WILF said:

I think the FA have made massive strides in investing the game, I could be wrong but I read they had helped with 6000 new pitches at grass roots level.

Compared to the FAI it’s night and day what the FA do.

I think Keane hits the nail on the head with England fans before every tournament with his little quip of “Oh, you’ve won it already again” ……bang on ! 

Im not really one for manager stats because if their football is shit then it’s shit but Southgate is second only to Capello except the difference is he has created something where lads like us are gassing like we really believe rather than just in hope.

Nobody else did that, I like how Southgate has carried himself…..would I want such an uninspiring man as coach of my domestic club ?….no…..got one already and it’s shite.

But for England there is no doubt he has been a breath of fresh air. 

I think that's pretty much where I am mate, the last Euros was the best since 96, no doubt.. I've never been "we're gonna win it" type with |England, but like you say you can genuinely hope now... these lads are so young that, Kane is still only 30 ffs! that the next manager will have the most mature set of youngsters we have ever had, with a new crop not far behind, we're finally doing it the right way, like Spain, Holland, Germany have for years

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Im just finished with Southgate mate i cant stand the sight of him anymore and getting all bitter and twisted about the cxxt you'll have to excuse me !! 😆😅

I won’t excuse you, now you know how I feel pal ! Lol 

17 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Again,intricate tactics are not my thing but its what Southgate played against Brazil and what he'll resort to any time he feels danger.....for me its just a basic lack of sporting courage it would be like Mike Tyson trying to win on the jab.....no,commit to your own strengths.....be mindful of whats coming back but dont let it dictate your whole game.

You're absolute right we are now producing the type of players we always wanted.......who'd of thought it eh !

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, WILF said:

Do you ?…..that’s surprising mate.

I wouldn’t have thought Ten Haag was the type to want all that around him at all ? 

Is he distracting to the changing room though mate, I know he'll get a load off of the fans, but Fergie would've used that IF he was a decent lad bin training, around the dressing room etc.. which we don't know.. So I'm looking at a purely football point of view, he's getting you 15 goals a season, and your struggling for the first half of the season to score...as a manager yeah I think he'd want him

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, WILF said:

No, they have achieved playing absolute shite…..that’s the point.

Or.....

Moyse fielding bang average players has won a trophy.....compared to....

Southgate fielding world class players has won nothing.

Depends how you're looking at it i suppose.